• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2017 7:56 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 13, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote

PC Build Question

Hi all,

I'm contemplating on building my first PC soon.

I was hoping someone could comment on the pieces I've picked out. The main uses will be a media server (via Plex) and also light gaming on occasion. I figure the 1060 may be overkill considering I mostly game on my Xbox, but am unsure what would be decent value other than the 1060 I've chosen. I'd start with a 3 TB drive and likely add an additional one or two 3.5" drives when I actually need the additional space.

Current Choices:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($261.75 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($140.98 @ NCIX)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: *Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($112.00 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Video Card ($325.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Total: $1360.65

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZXRXhq
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5684 posts
5085 upvotes
Here's my changes to your part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/x3Z76X

-Good luck finding a CRYORIG cooler... changed it to the popular Hyper 212 EVO
-Separate RAM sticks make no sense - get a 16gb kit.
-Kaby Lake is out... difference in cost is minimal.. go with the 7th gen processors and H270 chipset
-SSD is okay, might be worth +40-50 bucks to go with a Samsung EVO 850
-You left out operating system
-Switched your PSU
Last edited by KanataKG on Jan 14th, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 13, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
superfresh89 wrote: Here's my changes to your part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/x3Z76X

-Good lucking finding a CRYORIG cooler... changed it to the popular Hyper 212 EVO
-Separate RAM sticks make no sense - get a 16gb kit.
-Kaby Lake is out... difference in cost is minimal.. go with the 7th gen processors and H270 chipset
-SSD is okay, might be worth +40-50 bucks to go with a Samsung EVO 850
-You left out operating system
-Switched your PSU
Cool thanks for the tips. I'll likely change the SSD to a M.2 instead of a 2.5".

Shouldn't the i5-7500 come with a stock cooler if I'm getting the retail version?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5684 posts
5085 upvotes
kevdanga2 wrote: Cool thanks for the tips. I'll likely change the SSD to a M.2 instead of a 2.5".

Shouldn't the i5-7500 come with a stock cooler if I'm getting the retail version?
Yeah, stick with the stock cooler to save $30.

As for the SSD... keep in mind that M.2 is a form factor... if you're looking for a speed increase - you want an SSD that connects via PCI-e slot. There are both SATA 3.0 and M.2 SSDs available. A SATA M.2 should perform pretty much exactly the same as a SATA 2.5" SSD.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 13, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
superfresh89 wrote: Yeah, stick with the stock cooler to save $30.

As for the SSD... keep in mind that M.2 is a form factor... if you're looking for a speed increase - you want an SSD that connects via PCI-e slot. There are both SATA 3.0 and M.2 SSDs available. A SATA M.2 should perform pretty much exactly the same as a SATA 2.5" SSD.
Hmm good to know.

Is there a tier of cards slightly lower than 1060 thats a good value to consider? Considering how little I'll game (I prefer console) I'm waffling on a $330 graphic's card.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5684 posts
5085 upvotes
kevdanga2 wrote: Hmm good to know.

Is there a tier of cards slightly lower than 1060 thats a good value to consider? Considering how little I'll game (I prefer console) I'm waffling on a $330 graphic's card.
You could go with a 1050 Ti.... or, if you don't plan on gaming much at all, stick with the onboard graphics and upgrade with a new video card when the 1070 comes down in price.

You should be able to play older games at 1080p no problem without a video card at all.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 12, 2007
2243 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
I think Nvidia was making some noise about their 1050 lineup a little while before, but tbh if you aren't doing any gaming at all I think an onboard gpu would be sufficient. 1060 is really neither here nor there in terms of futureproofing or getting the best bang for your buck if you want to build a capable gaming rig. I'd advise you look into that and seriously consider whether it's worth the $.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
11844 posts
2379 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Yeah, stick with the stock cooler to save $30.

As for the SSD... keep in mind that M.2 is a form factor... if you're looking for a speed increase - you want an SSD that connects via PCI-e slot. There are both SATA 3.0 and M.2 SSDs available. A SATA M.2 should perform pretty much exactly the same as a SATA 2.5" SSD.
Just to further this, OP if you want more read/write speed, you should look for M.2 NVMe SSD. Also they are not all built the same. Samsung 950 Pro will out perform all others, but also cost much more. NVMe M.2 SSDs are typically at a premium price in general. Another thing to note is... do you really need that read/write speed above SATA III cap? From what you plan on using it for, I going to say no. Just stick with a SATA SSD.

Have you considered the AMD RX480 GPU? Comparable to the GTX 1060 and a little cheaper.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 13, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
joeyjoejoe wrote: Just to further this, OP if you want more read/write speed, you should look for M.2 NVMe SSD. Also they are not all built the same. Samsung 950 Pro will out perform all others, but also cost much more. NVMe M.2 SSDs are typically at a premium price in general. Another thing to note is... do you really need that read/write speed above SATA III cap? From what you plan on using it for, I going to say no. Just stick with a SATA SSD.

Have you considered the AMD RX480 GPU? Comparable to the GTX 1060 and a little cheaper.
Thanks everyone for the tips.

I think I'm going to go with the i5-7500, 16 gb ram, M.2 SSD and a pair of 3 TB 3.5" drives. I'll build it initially without a video card and depending on my gaming needs I'll add an appropriate card down the road.

Thanks all!
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
11844 posts
2379 upvotes
kevdanga2 wrote: Thanks everyone for the tips.

I think I'm going to go with the i5-7500, 16 gb ram, M.2 SSD and a pair of 3 TB 3.5" drives. I'll build it initially without a video card and depending on my gaming needs I'll add an appropriate card down the road.

Thanks all!
The motherboard you picked out may not work with i5-7500. It will likely require a BIOS update first, but I wouldn't buy it until the update is out and works properly. In order to update the bios, you need to have another compatible chip so that you can install the update or get someone/company to do it for you. Or the easier route, either go all in with Kaby Lake or don't touch it.

Also if you plan on adding drives, then get a bigger case. The case you picked out can only hold 2 3.5 drives. You don't have room to expand.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1522 posts
574 upvotes
TBD
joeyjoejoe wrote: The motherboard you picked out may not work with i5-7500. It will likely require a BIOS update first, but I wouldn't buy it until the update is out and works properly. In order to update the bios, you need to have another compatible chip so that you can install the update or get someone/company to do it for you. Or the easier route, either go all in with Kaby Lake or don't touch it.

Also if you plan on adding drives, then get a bigger case. The case you picked out can only hold 2 3.5 drives. You don't have room to expand.
Are there any microatx boards that would work that you would recommend? Or is that a common issue because the 7500 is fairly new?

I don't expect to go more than 2 drives internally. Theres room for up to 3 SSDs internally and I can always add additional drives via USB 3.0.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2230 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
I just placed an order for: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/n4BDhq

I'm more of an occasional PC gamer as well, mostly play on my PS4 Pro so I wanted to keep costs down. The Zotac 1060 3GB is the cheapest 1060 card right now, If VR takes off and there is a second gen of headsets, I might upgrade my video card then.
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1522 posts
574 upvotes
TBD
Driftwood wrote: I just placed an order for: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/n4BDhq

I'm more of an occasional PC gamer as well, mostly play on my PS4 Pro so I wanted to keep costs down. The Zotac 1060 3GB is the cheapest 1060 card right now, If VR takes off and there is a second gen of headsets, I might upgrade my video card then.
I see that you have ncix assembly on there. Does that mean you'll be buying all the parts from NCIX as well? Is there an easy way to have them match the lowest price listed on Part picker?
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2230 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
kevdanga wrote: I see that you have ncix assembly on there. Does that mean you'll be buying all the parts from NCIX as well? Is there an easy way to have them match the lowest price listed on Part picker?
Yep, once you add all the items to your cart click start Start Price Match at the bottom. Its super easy, just have to enter the price and the link for each item.
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)