Personal Finance

PC Financial "Black" colored mastercard?

Jr. Member
May 30, 2008
136 posts
13 upvotes
This is it for my PC card....just called and cancelled. I've been a long time user up until about year and a half ago. I used my card for everything including extensive home renovations but one day they dropped my credit limit from $12K+ to $1K. I called twice in 6months for an explanation and they couldn't tell me why but raised my limit to $2K :confused: I have always tried to pay the balance except on major purchases but I have never missed payments and I have an A credit rating. I have not used the card since. Bye bye PC
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
21124 posts
5803 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
hevnsnt wrote: This is it for my PC card....just called and cancelled. I've been a long time user up until about year and a half ago. I used my card for everything including extensive home renovations but one day they dropped my credit limit from $12K+ to $1K. I called twice in 6months for an explanation and they couldn't tell me why but raised my limit to $2K :confused: I have always tried to pay the balance except on major purchases but I have never missed payments and I have an A credit rating. I have not used the card since. Bye bye PC

Nasty...
I have heard that in the US people get this if a lot of other people who shop at the stores you shop at tend to have defaults. I don't know if PC does this kind of analysis.

Actually if people interested in this kind of analysis, there's an extremely interesting article on CT Mastercard you should read.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6890 posts
1130 upvotes
Ottawa
They also send me an "exclusive" offer for 2x points shopping at PCF product associated stores (lob-lows, no frills) after I got my smart cash MC card, unfortunately, that still does not beat MBNA SC MC card, so it is going to my closet.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2091 posts
541 upvotes
rivet wrote: They also send me an "exclusive" offer for 2x points shopping at PCF product associated stores (lob-lows, no frills) after I got my smart cash MC card, unfortunately, that still does not beat MBNA SC MC card, so it is going to my closet.
I'll be doing the same once I get my Smart Cash card as well. Although, still keeping the PFMC for those 20x days, or whatever coupons I might be using. I still have all the points I got from that 20x points screw up earlier this year :) Bought a crap load of GCs and got all the points for it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 14, 2004
9706 posts
764 upvotes
Markham
A bit of a bump, but has anyone actually got this card recently? I tried calling and they gave excuses about how it wasn't possible.
Member
Nov 8, 2005
226 posts
508 upvotes
Halifax
crossbordertax wrote: I think with the Black PC card you should get "front of the line" access at checkouts. Maybe a couple extra item allowance on the express lines. Possibly the conceirge service to help select the proper melon.

Yes!
Jr. Member
Feb 2, 2008
121 posts
10 upvotes
Alberta
MBNA CC is still better. I have stopped using PC CC 2 years ago
[OP]
Sr. Member
May 10, 2005
900 posts
5 upvotes
Alberta
Hairball wrote: A bit of a bump, but has anyone actually got this card recently? I tried calling and they gave excuses about how it wasn't possible.

For what its worth, I pretty much only use it at PC and affiliated stores, which isn't terribly often. However, pretty much each time I do use it that cashier does a double take, looks at me, looks at the card and says something along the lines of either "never seen one before" or "heard about them" and that's about it.

The earlier post about how PC Bank decides who gets one and not Mastercard is an interesting one. I do have some not insignificant holdings with them.
Newbie
Aug 4, 2009
70 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
Gdc wrote: Can't you stop all the hate toward MBNA because YOU had a bad experience when most of the member of RFD haven't and it's a clear fact that MBNA SC is a better credit card? :facepalm:

Maybe his sarcastic reply is because this is a PC Mastercard thread and even if this was an MBNA SC thread, his post is of little value.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
149 upvotes
Gdc wrote: Can't you stop all the hate toward MBNA because YOU had a bad experience when most of the member of RFD haven't and it's a clear fact that MBNA SC is a better credit card? :facepalm:
chris233 wrote: Maybe his sarcastic reply is because this is a PC Mastercard thread and even if this was an MBNA SC thread, his post is of little value.
Exactly. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with the Smartcash.

But it never stops the MBNA fanboys from jumping in at any chance and letting the world know they masturbate on their credit card.
Member
Mar 21, 2008
312 posts
36 upvotes
Calgary
This new move by PC Financial is oh so AMEX like that it is not even funny. The problem here is that this new black "invitation-only" card offers what PCF should be offering to everyone in the first place. EVERY retail loyalty card in canada offers a higher rate of return when shopping at the store that is on the card ex: Club Sobeys MasterCard yields double Club Sobeys Points at Sobeys, Walmart MasterCard offers 25% bonus Walmart rewards on purcahses made at Walmart but PC MC offers 1% on everything.

Whats more is that this card offers no extra benefits other than the double rate of return at Loblaw Companies Ltd. stores.

This would be nice: President's Choice Financial NO FEE Premium Travel World MasterCard But I am almost 100% certain that it would NEVER happen!
Member
Mar 1, 2010
447 posts
39 upvotes
Paulfistinyourface wrote: Exactly. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with the Smartcash.
But it never stops the MBNA fanboys from jumping in at any chance and letting the world know they masturbate on their credit card.

They kinda do have a point though; it is a better card. They're really just trying to help.
It would be more relevant if the thread were, "Should I get a PC MC?" instead of about the black PC card.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
37678 posts
5426 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hmmm never heard about smart cash, will look into it, perhaps I should switch.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Newbie
Nov 26, 2003
12 posts
Kitchener
Hairball wrote: A bit of a bump, but has anyone actually got this card recently? I tried calling and they gave excuses about how it wasn't possible.

I know it's a few months later, but my wife and I just received notification letters yesterday for our cards. I knew something was up when the letters were hand stamped and not bulk mail. I'm just glad because I still hadn't received a chip&pin card, and my existing one is getting pretty beat up.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
Enrico wrote: I know it's a few months later, but my wife and I just received notification letters yesterday for our cards. I knew something was up when the letters were hand stamped and not bulk mail. I'm just glad because I still hadn't received a chip&pin card, and my existing one is getting pretty beat up.

Same. My wife and I got our cards in the mail last night without ever requesting anything. She freaked out before opening the envelope thinking I had signed up for yet another credit card. PC Financial would've had to cover my lawyer costs! :razz:

None of my cards had chip&pin until this one...even my Capital One Aspire that I received a few weeks ago.

Top