Shopping Discussion

PC financial Mastercard extended warranty issue

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2018 10:48 pm
Apr 25, 2009
110 posts
31 upvotes

PC financial Mastercard extended warranty issue

I purchased a laptop just over a year ago. Screen just crapped out. Phoned up PC financial to start warranty claim. Lo and behold, PC Mastercard does not provide extended warranty on computers. I was told it is in the list of inclusions. The lady on the phone told me it is a PC financial thing only. Be aware....
13 replies
Apr 25, 2009
110 posts
31 upvotes
is this a mastercard wide thing or PC financial only?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
bcbud3 wrote: is this a mastercard wide thing or PC financial only?
Impossible to say without comparing the terms of all extended warranty insurance policies. My Visa (TD Gold Select) doesn't have that limitation at least that I could see but other Visas and other Mastercards may or may not have that limitation.

Either way it's not really a PC Financial thing unless they've specifically requested the limitation because they don't actually provide the coverage.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote: It's not really an issue. People don't read the policies when they receive their credit card.

Limitations and Exclusions:

The Extended Warranty ends automatically upon the date when the original manufacturer ceases to carry on business for any reason whatsoever.

The Extended Warranty does not cover:

(a)used, rebuilt or remanufactured items;
(b)computer hardware, accessories or peripherals, computer
repair or software;
(c) automobiles, motorboats, airplanes, motorcycles, motorscooters,
snowblowers, riding lawn mowers, golf carts, lawn tractors or any other motorized vehicles (except for miniature electrically powered vehicles intended for recreational use by children) or any of their respective parts or accessories;
(d)damage resulting from normal wear or tear is not covered; or (e) items purchased and/or used by or for a business or for
commercial gain.

The Extended Warranty will only apply to any parts and/or labour costs resulting from mechanical breakdown or failure of a protected item, or any other obligations that were specifically covered under the terms of the original manufacturer’s warranty that is valid in Canada. Bodily injury, property damages, consequential damages, punitive damages, exemplary damages and lawyers’ fees are not covered. Coverage is limited to the lesser of the amount charged to Your President’s Choice Financial MasterCard or $10,000.
Game, set, match.

Excellent post
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1513 posts
1494 upvotes
This thread is perfect example of how google is your friend. I'll never understand why you have such a powerful tool at your fingertips and rarely is it used.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1284 posts
1568 upvotes
Kitchener
devilsknight wrote: This thread is perfect example of how google is your friend. I'll never understand why you have such a powerful tool at your fingertips and rarely is it used.
I do indeed google all my questions like this.
This thread is the now the top google result for this question, as the link to the cards insurance terms is broken currently. And extended warranty is not even advertised on their main page for the credit card. Guess they don't consider it much of a selling feature. But for a no fee card, its a pretty sweet perk even with the exclusions.

So it's really good he asked and got the answer here, else i'd be calling them up or hunting down my pamphlet that I probably tossed out months ago.

I also just bought a laptop from shoppers and ofcourse had to use my PC card for those sweet bonus points (the 10x + regular points sign up bonus is still on for me)
Being the net cost after the crazy promo they had on now is under 400, I'll live with the usual crappy 1 year warranty.

Other word of warning buying computers there - they have zero return policy on electronics.

So while they are by far the best thing to redeem points for during these events, gotta be aware of these restrictions.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Screen crapped out after a year, I'm willing to bet it was either an HP (most likely) or a Delldo. OP, which "hoopty" was it?
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Dec 9, 2001
975 posts
706 upvotes
Vancouver
b) computer hardware, accessories or peripherals, computer
repair or software;
I read this as computers parts and peripherals.
But you guys are saying the computer itself isn't covered either on PCF?

What about phones and tablets?
Where does one draw the line? Is a Microsoft Surface a computer?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ShocWave wrote: I read this as computers parts and peripherals.
But you guys are saying the computer itself isn't covered either on PCF?
The computer itself is made of parts, correct? Therefore, even by your own definition it's an exclusion.

Hardware = any part of the physical computer.
Peripherals = any add one such as mouse, printer.
What about phones and tablets?
Where does one draw the line? Is a Microsoft Surface a computer?
Phone and ask to get the answers. Best case scenario, send an email or online enquiry so you get the response in writing.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Eleventeen wrote: I also just bought a laptop from shoppers and ofcourse had to use my PC card for those sweet bonus points (the 10x + regular points sign up bonus is still on for me)
Being the net cost after the crazy promo they had on now is under 400, I'll live with the usual crappy 1 year warranty.

Other word of warning buying computers there - they have zero return policy on electronics.
You can still use other credit cards to pay at SDM. Scan PC Optimum from your card or phone, pay with a second card.

For example, I got the Canon M100 camera deal at SDM. I scanned PC Optimum on my phone, payed with RBC Visa, and still got 120K points on PCO.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Dec 20th, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13284 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
RFD is the first place to go for all inquiries, because.........we are all experts and make over 100k annually!
devilsknight wrote: This thread is perfect example of how google is your friend. I'll never understand why you have such a powerful tool at your fingertips and rarely is it used.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
bcbud3 wrote: is this a mastercard wide thing or PC financial only?
Capital one Visa has the following exclusions
What types of purchases are not covered?
• Boats, automobiles, aircraft, and any other motorized vehicles and
their motors, equipment, or accessories, including trailers and other
items that can be towed by or attached to any motorized vehicle
• Any costs other than those specifically covered under the terms of the
original manufacturer’s written U.S. repair warranty, as supplied by
the original manufacturer, or other eligible warranty
• Items purchased for resale, professional, or commercial use
• Real estate and items which are intended to become part of real
estate including, but not limited to, items that are hard-wired or
hard-plumbed, garage doors, garage door openers, and ceiling fans
• Rented or leased items or items purchased on an installment plan
and for which the entire purchase price was not paid in full at the
time of the occurrence
• Computer software
• Medical equipment
• Used or pre-owned items
YMMV based on issuer. Always read your benefits.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1214 posts
867 upvotes
Ottawa
bcbud3 wrote: I purchased a laptop just over a year ago. Screen just crapped out. Phoned up PC financial to start warranty claim. Lo and behold, PC Mastercard does not provide extended warranty on computers. I was told it is in the list of inclusions. The lady on the phone told me it is a PC financial thing only. Be aware....
I'm shocked. I bought a laptop with an MBNA MC and when it started to overheat the $400 repair was covered. I now use a Costco MC and will be checking the exclusions before I make any major purchases.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Rogers Mastercard details for reference:

Extended Warranty Exclusions
In addition to the General Exclusions, these specific exclusions apply to Extended Warranty benefits.
Benefits are not payable when the or
iginal manufacturer ceases to carry on business for any reason whatsoever.
Benefits are not payable
for the following items:

used and/or pre-owned items, newly pu
rchased items that have been rebuilt, refurbished or returned and re-sold;

automobiles, trailers, motorcycles, motorboats, or a
ccessories attached to or mounted on such property,

motor scooters or motorized wheelchairs;

snow blowers, riding lawnmowe
rs, golf carts or lawn tractors;

airplanes or drones;

cell phones or smartphones;

hoverboards or any other motorized vehicles except fo