• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2021 8:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
5620 posts
3139 upvotes
CdnMomof2 wrote: I have a PC WE card. I spent over 15k on it last year.
Will I be entitled to keep my card? Also, moving forward will I need to continue spending a min of 15k on it each year or else it will be replaced by their other PC MC?

Asking because this is the first I’ve heard of this.
Nobody knows for sure why some people received the email while others didn’t, even though not everyone spent over $15k. So you are safe until you get the email.
Mar 6, 2019
79 posts
46 upvotes
Center of the Univer…
Received not an email but a letter in the mail.
So probably going to cancel my WE.

I travel 1-2 times a year usually (pre-pandemic) and so I really liked this was one of the few cards with no AF and emergency medical.

Any suggestions for replacements? I'm thinking about switching to the Tangerine World MC and maybe change my SimplyCash to the Scotia Gold.
What are others doing?
I meet income reqs. and stellar credit.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1955 posts
2647 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Am I the only one who is comfortable keeping this card at the World level?

This is my backup card and it still provides 1% cashback on everything plus 2% on superstore/no-frills. I don't normally shop at Super Store (Costco is our main source for food and clothes) but let's calculate:

Say I spend $400 a month in groceries from super store.
At 3% cashback, I'm at $144 per year in total points.
At 2% cashback, I'm at $96 per year in total points (or $48 less per year).

My point is: if you're spending that much at super store, you might as well get Scotia Momentum VISA credit card.

I'm going to keep this card as a backup and will continue to use it at super stores.
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: Dividend-paying individual stocks (tax purposes)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23356 posts
18819 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TuxedoBlack wrote: My point is: if you're spending that much at super store, you might as well get Scotia Momentum VISA credit card.
Or TD Cash Back Infinite Visa, 3% on groceries, gas and recurring bill payments. This card is free with an All-Inclusive banking package ($5k balance to waive all fees.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10700 posts
5711 upvotes
Markham
TuxedoBlack wrote: Am I the only one who is comfortable keeping this card at the World level?

This is my backup card and it still provides 1% cashback on everything plus 2% on superstore/no-frills. I don't normally shop at Super Store (Costco is our main source for food and clothes) but let's calculate:

My point is: if you're spending that much at super store, you might as well get Scotia Momentum VISA credit card.

I'm going to keep this card as a backup and will continue to use it at super stores.
If you only spend 400, wouldn't bmo cash back at 3% better?
Mar 28, 2008
222 posts
199 upvotes
TuxedoBlack wrote: Am I the only one who is comfortable keeping this card at the World level?

TBH, I think the PCF World MC may only use for Gas at Mobil with 7¢/L for West Canada, East Canada only have 4¢/L (East Canada may consider to use a credit card with 3% or more cashback credit card with the use of pc optimum to yield a better rebate)

For example,

West Canada
Gas Total Price: 40L @ $1.226/L = $49.04
PCO (Without the use of PCF World): $1.4 @ 3.5¢/L
Cash Back CC @ 3%: $1.47
Total Rebate (Without the use of PCF World): $1.4 + $1.47 = $2.87 (5.85% Rebate)
Total Rebate (With the use of PCF World): 40L x 7¢/L = $2.8 (5.71% Rebate)

In West Canada Mobil Gas, the use of PCF World MC will lose 0.14% of the rebate compare to (PCO 3.5¢/L + 3% Cash Back CC), 0.14% rebate is negligible if you do not put a lot of gas annually.

East Canada
40L @ $1.226/L = $49.04
PCO (Without the use of PCF World): $0.8 @ 2¢/L
Cash Back CC @ 3%: $1.47
Total Rebate (Without the use of PCF World): $0.8 + $1.47 = $2.27 (4.63% Rebate)
Total Rebate (With the use of PCF World): 40L x 4¢/L = $1.6 (3.26% Rebate)

In East Canada Mobil Gas, the use of PCF World MC will lose 1.37% of the rebate compare to (PCO 2¢/L + 3% Cash Back CC), I would recommend the use of PCO @ 2¢/L + 3% cashback cc to get the best rebate.

Either case, the PCF World MC or even WE MC actually has less rebate than the use of PCO and a 3% cashback cc.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1460 posts
462 upvotes
bylo wrote: Or TD Cash Back Infinite Visa, 3% on groceries, gas and recurring bill payments. This card is free with an All-Inclusive banking package ($5k balance to waive all fees.)
It's unfortunate that some bills will not qualify as recurring with the TD card. YMMV I guess.
I know it's up to how the company submits the transaction.

Do you know if it doesn't qualify for the TDCBI card does it mean it won't qualify for the scotia momentum card?
Jul 8, 2019
157 posts
196 upvotes
Did anyone actually receive their replacement World card in the mail yet? Ordered mine on Feb 25.
Dec 12, 2007
768 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
ccya965041 wrote:
Either case, the PCF World MC or even WE MC actually has less rebate than the use of PCO and a 3% cashback cc.
That’s great but where can we find a no annual fee card that gives 3% cash back for gas ?
Mar 28, 2008
222 posts
199 upvotes
phoenix_bladen wrote: That’s great but where can we find a no annual fee card that gives 3% cash back for gas ?
Currently there should be only 1 no-AF cashback credit card offer 2% for gas station which is Tangerine MC/World MC.

Triangle World and WE MC offer 5% on their CT gas station and Husky, but it is restricted to these 2 stations and only gives you CT money (Technically not cash back)

There are at least 3 cc with annual fee offer 3-4% cashback. TD CB VI 3%, CIBC Dividend VI 4%, Meridian VI CB 4%. (Scotiabank Gold Amex is for points so I don't count)

I guess it really depends on which gas station you go often, and what's your preference on the rebate format (cash? Points? Store Credit?)
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14848 posts
9160 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I have no idea what's best. We live by Costco and only get gas there, it's the cheapest in the city and we go when it's dead. We mainly buy groceries from Costco, Fortino's, Sobeys, occasionally NF and FB, maybe FarmBoy. We take advantage of Optimum deals and my wife likes the ease of points as cash at the register (Fortinos/NF/Shoppers). We meet the min $15K spend. So we have PCMWE's and Costco Capital One's, and I have a HT Visa for US purchases. Our floating cash is parked at Simplii, not that enthused about parking cash at another bank. Better cards, minimal effort?
Mar 28, 2008
222 posts
199 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: I have no idea what's best. We live by Costco and only get gas there, it's the cheapest in the city and we go when it's dead. We mainly buy groceries from Costco, Fortino's, Sobeys, occasionally NF and FB, maybe FarmBoy. We take advantage of Optimum deals and my wife likes the ease of points as cash at the register (Fortinos/NF/Shoppers). We meet the min $15K spend. So we have PCMWE's and Costco Capital One's, and I have a HT Visa for US purchases. Our floating cash is parked at Simplii, not that enthused about parking cash at another bank. Better cards, minimal effort?
Costco Capital One will be ended by 2021, so you may need to think about other cc.
Tangerine MC should be the best choice with no-AF if you don't mind for only 3 categories with 2% cashback, Tangerine World MC also has better card benefits.
If you really look for a better cashback return, then only cc with AF can fulfill these requirements. (TD CB VI, CIBC Dividend VI, Meridian VI CB, Scotia Momentum VI can be considered). Interestingly, I think Visa cc with AF actually gives better return.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14848 posts
9160 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ccya965041 wrote: Costco Capital One will be ended by 2021, so you may need to think about other cc.
Tangerine MC should be the best choice with no-AF if you don't mind for only 3 categories with 2% cashback, Tangerine World MC also has better card benefits.
If you really look for a better cashback return, then only cc with AF can fulfill these requirements. (TD CB VI, CIBC Dividend VI, Meridian VI CB, Scotia Momentum VI can be considered). Interestingly, I think Visa cc with AF actually gives better return.
Thanks, didn't know that was happening and looked it up. I think whoever they go with will determine the move, their transition card and a separate rewards card they accept for everywhere else.

Is there a general consensus how much spending determines an AF is better than a no-AF?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7364 posts
3936 upvotes
Montreal
We don’t know yet if Costco will go with amex, visa or MasterCard with their future credit card deal

Before applying for a new credit card for costco purposes only, I would wait.
Nov 21, 2019
82 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
cashinstinct wrote: We don’t know yet if Costco will go with amex, visa or MasterCard with their future credit card deal

Before applying for a new credit card for costco purposes only, I would wait.
I spoke with an associate at my local Costco yesterday and they said it's going to be another Mastercard, but didn't mention what bank it would be with.
Nov 23, 2015
43 posts
14 upvotes
Anyone in Quebec got the notice? I doubt I've spent even $500 on this card. still haven't got anything.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4920 posts
2078 upvotes
Winnipeg
brogatta wrote: I spoke with an associate at my local Costco yesterday and they said it's going to be another Mastercard, but didn't mention what bank it would be with.
Scotiabank, it seems.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Nov 21, 2019
82 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
jcon wrote: Scotiabank, it seems.
Why Scotiabank? They only have a Visa/Amex portfolio.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4920 posts
2078 upvotes
Winnipeg
brogatta wrote: Why Scotiabank? They only have a Visa/Amex portfolio.
I don't know, I don't work there. I'm sure they're the right size.

They have all 3 companies. It's staying with M/C, AFAIK,
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.