Computers & Electronics

PC is infected, can't even reset. Help Please !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2020 2:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9707 posts
1158 upvotes

PC is infected, can't even reset. Help Please !!!

I think my PC is infected with virus. It runs so slow and screen freezes/turns black all the time. I was scanning the hardware, it found several threats, but before the full scan is complete, it crashed. Thus, couldn't take any action. In the past, when I was using the old Windows XP Pro, I would just reinstall the Windows and wiped the hardware. However, the system has been updated to Windows 10 (during Microsoft free offer). My understanding is that we don't reinstall the Windows now, but reset it. Please correct me if I am wrong. I tried the reset option several times. However, it says there was a problem, the PC cannot be reset.........

Please help.

Thanks
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2794 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: My understanding is that we don't reinstall the Windows now, but reset it.
What? Where did you get this from? Just format and reinstall Windows 10 if you need to.

Keep in mind that I'm not sure if formatting would completely render your virus dead. But might as well give it a try. Plan B would be to buy a new SSD and reinstall Windows on the SSD.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9707 posts
1158 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: What? Where did you get this from? Just format and reinstall Windows 10 if you need to.

Keep in mind that I'm not sure if formatting would completely render your virus dead. But might as well give it a try. Plan B would be to buy a new SSD and reinstall Windows on the SSD.

Like I said, my current Windows 10 was dowloaded/upgraded when Microsoft offered free upgrade from older version of Windows. Thus, I don't have the Windows 10 disk and can't format the harddrive.

Anyway, just an update. I did a Google and notice the so called Antivirus software in my PC :Segurazo Antivirus could actually be virus/malware itself. I don't recalled installing it...... Installation date shows two days ago...... Anyway, I just uninstalled it and the PC now seems to be running back to normal........ Hope problem has been solved......
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6814 posts
6963 upvotes
rdx wrote: Like I said, my current Windows 10 was dowloaded/upgraded when Microsoft offered free upgrade from older version of Windows. Thus, I don't have the Windows 10 disk and can't format the harddrive.

Anyway, just an update. I did a Google and notice the so called Antivirus software in my PC :Segurazo Antivirus could actually be virus/malware itself. I don't recalled installing it...... Installation date shows two days ago...... Anyway, I just uninstalled it and the PC now seems to be running back to normal........ Hope problem has been solved......
You don't need a disc to re-install Windows 10 - you can download and create a bootable Windows install USB drive from the Microsoft website. Just use your existing Windows 7 key and it won't be an issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2794 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: Like I said, my current Windows 10 was dowloaded/upgraded when Microsoft offered free upgrade from older version of Windows. Thus, I don't have the Windows 10 disk and can't format the harddrive.

Great. You found the issue.

Now go make yourself a bootable back up of Windows 10 (DVD or flash drive). You can download the latest version from Microsoft.

1) Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
2) Look under Create Windows 10 installation media.
3) Click on the "Download tool now" button.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9707 posts
1158 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: You don't need a disc to re-install Windows 10 - you can download and create a bootable Windows install USB drive from the Microsoft website. Just use your existing Windows 7 key and it won't be an issue.
I see. That's good to know. Like I said, the PC seems to be running normally. I will see if I still need to wipe it clean.

I am just curious why it didn't allow me to reset it at all when I was trying earlier (before I removed the "antivirus program"), neither keep personal files and apps options nor wipe it clean option.

Hope that Segurazo "antivirus" won't reinstall itself again, some people reported that though.........
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6814 posts
6963 upvotes
rdx wrote: I see. That's good to know. Like I said, the PC seems to be running normally. I will see if I still need to wipe it clean.

I am just curious why it didn't allow me to reset it at all when I was trying earlier (before I removed the "antivirus program"), neither keep personal files and apps options nor wipe it clean option.

Hope that Segurazo "antivirus" won't reinstall itself again, some people reported that though.........
Many types of malware will delete your restore files or otherwise prevent you from doing a system restore/reset
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7834 posts
8527 upvotes
Vancouver
Learn an important lesson from this: Do regular backups of your system. External hard drives are cheap, and you can get free backup software (like Macrium Reflect) that does a decent job. If anything goes drastically wrong with your system, just restore your most recent offline backup (after copying off any more recent data files you need to preserve, if possible).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9707 posts
1158 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Many types of malware will delete your restore files or otherwise prevent you from doing a system restore/reset
Exactly, no wonder I couldn't find any restore points files.............
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3128 posts
1310 upvotes
Windsor
rdx wrote: Exactly, no wonder I couldn't find any restore points files.............
Hold shift while rebooting. You'll get a screen that you can reset your Windows. Note that this almost definitely will not get rid of your virus, but if you're concerned about your abilities for reinstalling Windows, this might be good enough to get your PC healthy enough that the virus scanner will finish.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2177 posts
2094 upvotes
hightech wrote: I would just get a reputable brand like Norton to scan and clean the system
Please ..... Norton AV a reputable brand.
It is like paying an ever-hungry giant dino (bloatware) to live in a small room (HD).
There are also other AV, subscription or free.
Microsoft Window Defender is sufficient although virus definitions update is 'slower' than paid AV

Currently, using Comodo Internet Security and virus def updates are 'frequent'. Best of all, FOC if you do not need its online support,

Anyway, salvaging an infected HD is damn too much time consuming with no data recovery guarantee.

Clean install OS on a new HD if preferred not to get infected from 'old' one after erasing fully (ie NO QUICK format)
Restore data backup if you had.

Personally, I would make an image (backup) of newly installed 'virgin' OS separately for future clean restore.
Have data saved to the separate partition of same HD (1 partition for OS and apps and 1 partition for data in a HD)
Of course, regular backup externally.

AIO, use common sense while opening/visiting unknown app/files esp pop-ups in web browsers ie DONT click whatever it tells you that your computer has 'problems' as there is NONE to begin with.
:( With exceptions from Microsoft itself
Life is full of twists.
Stay flexible.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16791 posts
5377 upvotes
Toronto
imoo2u wrote: Please ..... Norton AV a reputable brand.
It is like paying an ever-hungry giant dino (bloatware) to live in a small room (HD).
There are also other AV, subscription or free.
Microsoft Window Defender is sufficient although virus definitions update is 'slower' than paid AV

Currently, using Comodo Internet Security and virus def updates are 'frequent'. Best of all, FOC if you do not need its online support,
When was the last time you used Norton AV? Many years ago it plain out sucked, but in the last few years, it has been ranked very good by some very large independent sites, and the performance is fantastic. The 5 user version generally goes for around $25 and is far better than Microsoft Defender.

some reference sites:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

https://www.av-comparatives.org/test-results/

The comodo you use is avg at best.
Last edited by hightech on Feb 20th, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
4132 posts
4029 upvotes
Toronto
Have your pc drink this:

To the moon
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2490 posts
1705 upvotes
North Vancouver
Good article for you OP, "The Ultimate Guide to Reinstalling Windows From Scratch": https://lifehacker.com/the-ultimate-gui ... 1832897572
Basil: Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically -?
Nov 14, 2008
846 posts
320 upvotes
it didnt seem like you paid any attention to
ds2chan

backup your stuff and do what he said. wipe out windows and reinstall using the method. your w10 will still be valid,.
if you just went and uninstalled it from add/remove programs , the malware probably still has a hook somewhere

here are some notes -
dont install random crap that pops up saying you have a virus
dont use internet explorer.
install malwarebytes, if your a student or have a student in the family, google for the $5 for 4 years student offer

if your just using the pc for browsing the internet , change your life, use A flavour of linux instead, such as ubuntu

rdx wrote: I see. That's good to know. Like I said, the PC seems to be running normally. I will see if I still need to wipe it clean.

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36348 posts
9610 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
superfresh89 wrote: You don't need a disc to re-install Windows 10 - you can download and create a bootable Windows install USB drive from the Microsoft website. Just use your existing Windows 7 key and it won't be an issue.
Once Windows 10 has been activated, you don't need a key for subsequent installations
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14942 posts
5185 upvotes
GTA
I have a spare computer that I forgot to update to Win 10. Is there still a way to do it free?
Jun 30, 2009
759 posts
227 upvotes
Vancouver
RolandCouch wrote: I have a spare computer that I forgot to update to Win 10. Is there still a way to do it free?
If it's Windows 7, use the Windows 10 Installation tool/media (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10). If I remember correctly, it should just upgrade your Windows 7 without needing to input your serial again. I would use the tool to create a USB and keep that in case you run into an issue where you need to reinstall Windows, like OP did.