PC Insiders Paid Membership - $99 per year / $9.99 per month

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2020 10:27 pm
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Lol. This program is pathetic yet will surely capture some of the countless sheep consumers who can't see through its smoke and mirrors. Loblaw is overpriced in almost everything and paying so you can be rewarded for your stupidity is hilarious.
Aug 28, 2007
857 posts
410 upvotes
Vancouver
theguru wrote: Lol. This program is pathetic yet will surely capture some of the countless sheep consumers who can't see through its smoke and mirrors. Loblaw is overpriced in almost everything and paying so you can be rewarded for your stupidity is hilarious.
Not necessarily true. If you're a new mom, on some sort of organic diet, that shops at any of the Lowblaw's store, buys Joe fresh clothes, and makeup from SDM then this might be a pretty good program.

For everyone else I agree :)
Twitch: ForbiddenX
Nov 18, 2013
287 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
bluebellrose wrote: so in other words, if you are willing to pay a $99 annual fee, you get 20% cashback for baby diapers and formula, all pco products and joe fresh clothing and buying stuff online from sdm's online beauty department and a 99 dollar credit @ pctravel.ca

@bylo Sdm is part of it. 20x pc points @ beautyBOUTIQUE.ca . That site is part of the sdm arm. The sdm beauty department to be precise
I would have been all over this when my 3 kids were young but now they're preteen and teens (and don't like Joe Fresh). I buy a lot of organics but even I don't see the value of this program. They seem to be targeting a very small demographic, imo. Babies aren't in diapers for long so once you take away formula and diapers, there's not a heck of a lot left. Their strategy seems weird. Why not offer a lower percentage and capture more of the market for true loyalty. If someone's spending 250 - 300/week on groceries, isn't that the consumer you want to try to get at your store every week? Or, expand the products included so the program appeals to more than just new parents.

Oh well, I'll stick with my 3x points through PC MC (or 2% CB through MBNA) and continue to spread my shopping out over different grocery chains.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16621 posts
6882 upvotes
Seems like this program could work out to be a great deal for many people, especially young families. Not only do you get big discounts on items that are already able to be easily price matched and Joe Fresh clothing, but also free grocery pickup service which can be a big time savings.
Sep 30, 2009
210 posts
61 upvotes
Richmond
This might be interesting for some people, especially with small children. I mainly have Amazon Prime because of the 20% off diapers.
Apr 15, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
Interested to see if anyone (young families) have compared this to amazon prime program. They also offer significant savings on diapers/etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1608 posts
446 upvotes
St. John's
You need to spend $50 a month every month on these 'select categories' just to break even. Loblows is the worst. Another low blow against their dumbest clientele.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1351 posts
1052 upvotes
Halifax
Someone do it ! ISmiling Face With Open Mouthcan't wait to find out what is in the surprise boxes !

Actually ... makes them competitive or more than competitive with Amazon for diapers.
Great for young families !
However... it is odd because most young families trying to stretch a budget are not going to be using the beauty boutique much or probably not the travel credit...
I suppose diapers and clothes for young kids..snow boots, mits etc...

Does not make sense for me.... interesting though...
A fan of RFD
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5987 posts
1827 upvotes
Montreal
bylo wrote: As for reactions, it seems odd that I should have to pay Westons for my loyalty. Shouldn't that work the other way around--they pay/reward me for my continued loyalty?

But worse, I don't see the $120/year value in this. Perhaps if you buy cosmetics at SDM and/or are raising a young family that uses diapers and formula, you do.
PointsHubby wrote: Ya I would like to hear from some RFDers who are raising young families... especially on this perk:

20 per cent back in PC points on the essentials such as diapers, infant formula, and all PC Organics products in-store and online.

What exactly per month are they out laying on these essentials... and is 20% a fair / progressive cash back in relation to the $ 9.99 a month surcharge ...
Chew300ZX wrote: You need to spend $50 a month every month on these 'select categories' just to break even. Loblows is the worst. Another low blow against their dumbest clientele.
I think pitching it as a loyalty program is a mistake. In my mind, I compare this to Amazon Prime - pay a few dollars a month for additional perks.

For a family, one box of diapers at ~$38 and one box/can of formula at $20+ every month makes this program worthwhile, even more so if you pay for the year upfront at $99. That's close to $12 back for a cost of $8.25 a month. You're already $3+ ahead without taking advantage of any of the other perks.

IMO, the 20% back in points on diapers is a better offer than the 20% off on diapers offered through Amazon Prime since you don't have to deal with the "hassle" of subscribe & save/ Plus the PC program also extends to formula while Amazon Prime doesn't.

And, at least in my case, the $99 PC Travel credit is the icing on the cake. I can use that credit to book a night at a hotel when I visit family for the holidays and now the program is basically free for me.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
20 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rdiamond1 wrote: Someone do it ! ISmiling Face With Open Mouthcan't wait to find out what is in the surprise boxes !

Actually ... makes them competitive or more than competitive with Amazon for diapers.
Great for young families !
However... it is odd because most young families trying to stretch a budget are not going to be using the beauty boutique much or probably not the travel credit...
I suppose diapers and clothes for young kids..snow boots, mits etc...

Does not make sense for me.... interesting though...
I agree.. it is an odd pairing of benefits.
If the benefits expand in the future I could see this potentially becoming a competitor to amazon/longos, at least if they expand into grocery delivery perks or expand past only PC organics products..

Definitely feels to me like they are putting out feelers in all directions to see what sticks.. as for now I'm outside their target demographic too.
Oct 12, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Would be much more lucrative for new parents if they also include baby wipes and other baby cereal/food. As it is, it's borderline break-even for two kids in diapers without formula spend. I'd hate to be obligated to buy Joe Fresh stuff to make up the difference.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5987 posts
1827 upvotes
Montreal
crimsonbanner wrote: Would be much more lucrative for new parents if they also include baby wipes and other baby cereal/food. As it is, it's borderline break-even for two kids in diapers without formula spend. I'd hate to be obligated to buy Joe Fresh stuff to make up the difference.
How many diapers do you go through a month? Less than two boxes?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1020 posts
814 upvotes
GTA
theguru wrote: Lol. This program is pathetic yet will surely capture some of the countless sheep consumers who can't see through its smoke and mirrors. Loblaw is overpriced in almost everything and paying so you can be rewarded for your stupidity is hilarious.
The program is a poor fit for the way you shop. Fine. But keep in mind that it's not aimed at the market segment you're part of, so it's not very appropriate to judge it according to your values and preferences.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15170 posts
12320 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
psyko514 wrote: How many diapers do you go through a month? Less than two boxes?
Yes, someone please give us factual numbers so we can see what this PC Insiders Program is all about.
How much of what and at what cost do you go thru in a week / month’s time

I had kids 30+ years ago, but even then I recall we went thru a lot of Diapers & Formula in the first year, and even for the time, that took up a lot of income every week. I know we went thru stuff like crazy... not just a casual box of this or that here & there... it was constantly a case of replenishing.

$ 9.99 in the 1980s did not even cover ONE box of Diapers a month... forget several.
And Formula depending on the type... I learned back then not are all the same... cause well no 2 kids are alike, and some babies require different Formulas (ie ready to feed Isomil Soy... yes I remember, cause I had to go make so many runs out to get it) was a frickin fortune.

I think that the Beauty Boutique perk is probably also being overlooked here. I think their target is the women, a working mom. Someone who already shops at SDM regularly buying the likes of Diapers, Formula, Wipes, and a wide array of other products.... it is her go to store for the necessities for her family’s health & wellness needs. And where in the past she sometimes splurges some of her Optimum points on Paperbacks, Magazines, Make Up & Perfume. This new PC Insiders Program is literally telling her that is ok... in fact she should take some time off for a vacation as well.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2004
1057 posts
350 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: IMO, the 20% back in points on diapers is a better offer than the 20% off on diapers offered through Amazon Prime since you don't have to deal with the "hassle" of subscribe & save/ Plus the PC program also extends to formula while Amazon Prime doesn't.

And, at least in my case, the $99 PC Travel credit is the icing on the cake. I can use that credit to book a night at a hotel when I visit family for the holidays and now the program is basically free for me.
You nailed it. This is Loblaw's version of Amazon Prime.

Somebody up in head office said how does Costco get away with charging an annual membership fee and how does Amazon get people to pay for Prime - if they can do it - why can't we?

Further - since it's offered to PC Credit Card holders - they must have thought if all these other credit cards can get away with charging $99 - $499 a year (like American Express Platinum) why can't we?

Keep in mind, this is a Pilot Program, so they will tinker and play around with this to see if it sticks.

They should have entered in with a lower price point. A number like $49 or $79 would have stuck better.

But the market will pay what the market will bear. So I'm sure they will figure this out and if there is no demand they will either up incentives OR lower the price.

It's a good attempt, but not good enough for me to sign up for just yet, and I literally just received the offer email 5 minutes ago and came here to read the comments on it lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21415 posts
15515 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Jonric wrote: The program is a poor fit for the way you shop. Fine. But keep in mind that it's not aimed at the market segment you're part of, so it's not very appropriate to judge it according to your values and preferences.
Agreed in principle. But the program seems to be targeted to a very narrow group. That seems odd compared to say Costco or Amazon Prime where they're trying to be as broad as possible.

Maybe that's because Weston is only piloting this at the moment and perhaps they'll add stuff that makes it more enticing to a broader segment of their customer base at a later date.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 27, 2004
1057 posts
350 upvotes
Here is another article on the pilot program from The Globe & Mail https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... e37028950/

And here are the terms and conditions on the Travel Credit posted below:

Travel credit of $99.00 CDN is only available for annual subscribers. You will receive a credit of $99.00 CDN when you make a single eligible travel purchase of $99 or more, booked through PC® travel services at www.pctravel.ca and charged to your PC Financial Mastercard. The travel credit cannot be used for hotel-only bookings for less than a 3-night stay and cannot be applied to travel insurance purchases. The travel credit can be redeemed only once in your current PC Insiders Program annual subscription period. Not valid on prior bookings. To redeem your travel credit, you will need to use the same email address you use to sign in to your loyalty account when booking your eligible travel service. Travel credit is not transferable, refundable or cumulative.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1892 posts
337 upvotes
Got an invite via e-mail, it has a personalized offer code.

Not sure why I got an invite, I'm really not their target demographic...no babies, don't buy much PC organics stuff, don't buy much Joe Fresh stuff, never booked travel with them, never go to SDM...
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10819 posts
1351 upvotes
Edmonton
pakmode wrote: You nailed it. This is Loblaw's version of Amazon Prime.

Somebody up in head office said how does Costco get away with charging an annual membership fee and how does Amazon get people to pay for Prime - if they can do it - why can't we?

Further - since it's offered to PC Credit Card holders - they must have thought if all these other credit cards can get away with charging $99 - $499 a year (like American Express Platinum) why can't we?

Keep in mind, this is a Pilot Program, so they will tinker and play around with this to see if it sticks.

They should have entered in with a lower price point. A number like $49 or $79 would have stuck better.

But the market will pay what the market will bear. So I'm sure they will figure this out and if there is no demand they will either up incentives OR lower the price.

It's a good attempt, but not good enough for me to sign up for just yet, and I literally just received the offer email 5 minutes ago and came here to read the comments on it lol.
Yeah this is going to flop hard.

Costco can charge for membership since they have better value on the products on coupon. Especially the diapers and formula everyone is so concerned about. Combine that with a decent food counter and samples and reasonably quick customer service.

Amazon can charge for membership (at least in the USA I won't pay for prime in Canada because it's not worth it) due to sheer variety of products, fast delivery, and competitive edge on pricing, especially in remote locations. Couple that with the video streaming service included in the US and it's a great service. In Canada it just isn't worth it.

Loblaws dumped the banking side and kept the profitable atms. Loss of value for the customer. I can see their points and loyalty programs going that way next.

The 20% points back are mediocre at best, I already get the same offers weekly for baby food, diapers and clothing on the pc points app for zero cost. I sure as hell am not going to pay for the same discounts I already have.

Pick and pay holds zero interest for me unless it's offered for free and with an additional discount to boot to guarantee I spend a certain threshold on my order. They need to realize this service had better offer a discount and not cost more since they dont have to risk me second guessing my purchases and putting them back before checking out and they don't need to pay unionized cashiers to scan my items and move them from one conveyer belt to another.

The restrictions on the use of the $99 dollar travel credit makes it useless as well. 3 night minimum and the prices they charge aren't competitive compared to online travel discounters.

Unless they start shipping tons of free pc sample items (and I mean full size products not the samples I already get for free from samplesource and manufacturers directly) and those mystery boxes include a pretty good bonus like huge points back or substantial savings coupons then I just don't see the value in spending $99 a year or $9.99 a month.

Maybe $9.99 a year. Maybe.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15170 posts
12320 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
blainehamilton wrote: Yeah this is going to flop hard.

Costco can charge for membership since they have better value on the products on coupon. Especially the diapers and formula everyone is so concerned about. Combine that with a decent food counter and samples and reasonably quick customer service.

Amazon can charge for membership (at least in the USA I won't pay for prime in Canada because it's not worth it) due to sheer variety of products, fast delivery, and competitive edge on pricing, especially in remote locations. Couple that with the video streaming service included in the US and it's a great service. In Canada it just isn't worth it.

Loblaws dumped the banking side and kept the profitable atms. Loss of value for the customer. I can see their points and loyalty programs going that way next.

The 20% points back are mediocre at best, I already get the same offers weekly for baby food, diapers and clothing on the pc points app for zero cost. I sure as hell am not going to pay for the same discounts I already have.

Pick and pay holds zero interest for me unless it's offered for free and with an additional discount to boot to guarantee I spend a certain threshold on my order. They need to realize this service had better offer a discount and not cost more since they dont have to risk me second guessing my purchases and putting them back before checking out and they don't need to pay unionized cashiers to scan my items and move them from one conveyer belt to another.

The restrictions on the use of the $99 dollar travel credit makes it useless as well. 3 night minimum and the prices they charge aren't competitive compared to online travel discounters.

Unless they start shipping tons of free pc sample items (and I mean full size products not the samples I already get for free from samplesource and manufacturers directly) and those mystery boxes include a pretty good bonus like huge points back or substantial savings coupons then I just don't see the value in spending $99 a year or $9.99 a month.

Maybe $9.99 a year. Maybe.
Interesting post from a potential target.

Lots of good points... plenty to think about on how this PC Insiders Program is rolling out and whether the benefits are truly worthwhile / attractive

Of course this PC Insiders Program is not for everyone, and ya have to be a PC MC holder to even sign up (not a large grouping of those who currently subscribe to PC Plus)

So, as to your statement that I’ve bolded...

I think you are under estimating just how big & successful the PC Plus Program is since its launch in 2013, and Loblaws Group is clearly hoping that it will be even bigger after merger with SDM into the NEW PC Optimum Program on February 1st

As well it is my understanding that the PC Financial Instore ATMs are all going / gone... not to be retained into the PC Financial network

If you a PC Financial Customer you’ll do your banking by phone or on-line, if you’ve converted to Simplii then you can use CIBC ATMs found elsewhere