Shopping Discussion

PC Insiders Paid Membership - $99 per year / $9.99 per month

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 9:30 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5067 posts
2689 upvotes
Can we cancel by secured message? I don’t have time waiting half an hours on the phone :(
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1662 posts
727 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
naticom wrote: While I agree it's very convenient to let someone shops for you and we only do the pickup, the stuffs they picked normally wouldn't meet my standard hence I don't use the pickup service anymore
They do a pretty good job at the two near me. I've complained numerous times though and I insist on getting compensation, so maybe that got them into shape.
Apr 22, 2015
205 posts
149 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
rdiamond1 wrote: Wow.
This takes me by surprise but maybe not ....
Never thought of taking advantage of diapers with Pm ing and possibly reselling them. But looking at it from that point of view - as a seller I may have tried to do something about it within the system.

Like DaVibe and PointsHubby - I am going to stick with it.

Curiousity would kill me. I need to see if it is as good or not.

Agree - the target market was a mixed bag.

Travelling millenials with babies, needing beauty supplies and kids clothing and loving Black label and health conscious organic products. And of course no time - so needing pickup.

Now- travelling is at a near standstill ( and might be for years ) , and that target market of people might be few and far between.

More likely... stressed, working from home, home schooling kids, eating mac and cheese and chicken nuggets.

What I hope :
1. About 70 % of my Optimum offers are PC Brands - I hope it will stack. I think it will at least at Superstore. I also think it would stack with a store offer ( at Superstore NOT SDM ) . We eat PC Splendido brands ( olive oil and cheese ), PC Vegtables and Frozen Veg & Fruits, PC Juices, PC Ketchup pickles, Pasta sauces, PC Blue Menu Waters ( Alot ), PC Cheese etc... AND of course the Dog Food .
2. I am liking what I see lately in additional PC Insiders offers on the app. These are not bad. And hopefully will continue.

As far as Beauty Boutique - there are some pretty good deals out there WITHOUT the 20 % Insiders if you watch. As good or better than Insiders. It almost needs it's own thread. Only the Redeem events were lucrative but... well .. I have to say my spending here has near stopped. Although I have been guilty of a "Beauty Boutique Pick Me Up " once in a while. Also BB- It needs it's own thread.

The Travel credit - did not use last year. Did not expect to use this year. I think the "travel credit" was iffy at best - and certainly with an outlook to next year - just a source of frustration. That 3 day hotel ?

Everyday items : I wish the Life At Home and Everyday Essentials were included in the PC brands. However, there are quite a few PC goods like cookware, storage, knives etc... I am not sure these would be included but most likely.

It seems to me like Shoppers got off easy. No beauty boutique and no stacking on 20 X or When you spend events - which is most EVERYDAY. It is odd it did not extend to Life Brands - that would have made sense- but no. Very odd. I don't get why Shoppers could not have stacked on their Store offers.

P&G must have taken the hit with Loblaws on the Baby goods. I am not sure where the profit margin is on diapers. So now - not Pampers or Huggie - unless you do the 10,000 points on $ 50 ... but no stacking. And unless PC extends it to their own brand- well I don't see it happening. However PC could send out digital Insiders offers on diapers or even a stackable one and that would work for maybe 30 % off.

It is hard not to think in that "break even " mode now. $ 26 a week...
Now we bring in between 2000-4000 Insiders points per grocery order- on Black Label and Organics. But we are still in virus mode and hitting the store only once a week- so a 100-150 $ grocery bill . And the majority of the items in my cart are the normal PC brand or No Name. So I have a feeling it will be MORE points - but time will tell.

I really like @Pointshubby s way of thinking on this.
And I am NOT liking the price increase

I still think we have to "Try" to get the most of this program.... specifically because it does appear "pared back ".... but is it really ? Will the majority of people see MORE from it ?

The next year will tell us.
Think I might be in the same boat as you. Just the 18kg bag of dog food I get per month will cover half the cost. (5$ a month)
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1251 posts
987 upvotes
Halifax
I have an interesting offer this week for Pampers Pure : 6000 points off for every $ 20 spend.

It makes me think that if PC were smart that might be the way to deliver diaper offers to Insiders. Via the App/Web.
And of course on weeks that there was NOT a Flyer offer.

Time will tell.

Size 4 Pampers - $ 33.99 - buy 2 packs. $ 68. Get back 18000 points for a Digital offer above ( and now PC Insiders of 13,600 points- until Oct 7 ).
That is $31.60 back - or almost half price. Maybe too cheap ? I don't know .

Would I buy 20 packs? - most likely no as i could not fit into my car. And who knows when a baby has a growth spurt.
Thinking of purchasing one pack of size 4 and one pack of size 5 for granddaughter.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1246 posts
543 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Went to use the credit, hotel was more than $150 cheaper direct, making the credit useless.
Aug 22, 2009
460 posts
423 upvotes
Ottawa
I actually just signed up for this now.

IMO: it finally works for us logically, we do our parents groceries (they are much older, Covid) and our own. I shop almost exclusively at Loblaw banner stores and the amount of PC product is usually half my cart each week.

I figure we’ll make $200 a year off of this, but I’m giving it a go to see how many bonus points we actually get.

Had a code for 25k additional points. Bumps it down to $110 after HST.

Break even is 110 worth of PC brands a month, considering my cart is well say conservatively 30 percent PC at an average of $400/mo that would net me 12,000 points per month, making it free at least. If more that’s a bonus.

I’ll be keeping track to see how we do.
Aug 11, 2018
94 posts
103 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm also cancelling my subscription. My expiry date will be December 12th (after 3 months extension) and will be cancelling the service after that.
I have been using this service for 2 years. On the first year I got 100k points for signing up so it was free. Then during the second year paid the full price. We had our baby during the second year and used this service for baby items.
This was very beneficial with diapers, baby formula and baby clothes.
These days I'm using the pcExpress pickup biweekly. The only reason I use it is because it is free. Lately the quality of the selected items were very low (expiry 1 day away from the current date etc)
Never used the travel credit. But hoping to use it before Oct 8th to a flight or a rental car.

But with only 10% worth of points on PC brand, I wont be using this anymore.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1319 posts
704 upvotes
Burnaby
Fort McMurray wrote: Went to use the credit, hotel was more than $150 cheaper direct, making the credit useless.
You can price match the hotel price with PC Travel - just call them up
Aug 22, 2009
460 posts
423 upvotes
Ottawa
Uh oh. Should of read terms and conditions. This one sucks.

PC Optimum points earned through the Program are in addition to the regular 15 points per dollar earned for eligible purchases at Shoppers Drug Mart and Pharmaprix, the points regularly earned through use of a President’s Choice Financial® payment product, points earned through PC Optimum item-based personalized offers and in-store offers. However, points earning through the Program may not be combined with any store-wide, site-wide or department-wide bonus points offers on the same purchase whether made available to all customers or to you as an individual. If your purchase would be eligible for a store-wide, site-wide or department-wide bonus offer of a set amount of points or a points multiplier, for example “Spend $75 or more on beauty and fragrances and get 25,000 PC Optimum points” or “Get 15X PC Optimum points on any shoppersdrugmart.ca order”, you would receive either your PC Optimum Insiders points OR the store-wide, site-wide or department-wide bonus points offer, whichever is the greater number of points, but not both.
Can someone confirm if there’s a store offer, it voids the PC brand bonus points?

Edit: Wrong paragraph quoted.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2247 posts
817 upvotes
kooltilltheen wrote: You can price match the hotel price with PC Travel - just call them up
They refused to match direct hotel pricing for me
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14636 posts
11851 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
drunkgoat wrote: They refused to match direct hotel pricing for me
Not uncommon these days where Booking Direct ... esp if one is a member of the Hotel Loyalty Program is by far the lowest rate you can get ..plus stay perks ... and Points too

The other downfall for the PC Travel Credit, is it is only valid on 3 night stays at the same property

In the “Loyalty Game” it’s moving around often ... and getting the hotels to vy for your booking that often nets the best prices + bonuses
(Cuz they know once you check out .. they gotta get your attention again a field filled with other options)

IMO ... the PC Travel Bonus is a NON STARTER

So don’t use it (lol 3 night stay and I can easily beat their pricing by at least $ 100 ... plus earn all the other perks )
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1319 posts
704 upvotes
Burnaby
drunkgoat wrote: They refused to match direct hotel pricing for me
Was the price visible on the site and available for booking by general public (without the use of a code)?

I haven't had too much drama when PM'ing at PC Travel before (although I last used their service pre-COVID so who knows what's changed since)

Edit: Also, I just recalled that I did a PM against Westjet's website for a flight booking so its possible they have a different policy for hotels
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1376 posts
298 upvotes
Just found out about this thread ... I had posted elsewhere venting about the changes: drastic-changes-announced-pc-insiders-program-2401785/

Reposting here a few thoughts:

I’ll def not be renewing and may cancel to get my membership fee back. I renewed at end of May.

I live downtown with no car so Costco’s not an option for me ... when I was in the burbs, I did all my Grocery shopping there Using the old Costco AMEX card.

My first year On PC Insiders Plus I probaly pulled in 300 to 400 dollars worth of points ... I had a free membership in year 1 so it was a great deal. Good enough value that I paid full membership price for year 2 as I had started to focus a lot more of my grocery at Loblaws as well as taking advantage of the Joe Fresh 200 points on ever dollar spent for everyday cloths like socks and underwear and cheap toddler clothing. Combined with a Presidents Choice Credit Card, a decent amount of points earned at Shoppers Drug Mart and the diaper points bonus — the points this year were flowing in.

I renewed at end of May and was already up to 180,000 points earned just through PC Insiders alone (I tracked my Insiders points Earned monthly), never mind the credit card points earned plus the app coupon Point bonuses. On an average 100 - 120 dollar grocery shop I’d usually earn 15 - 20 dollars in points.

While I’d still buy some stuff (mostly meat, pork and chicken) at other stores we had switched ALL our organic purchases to Loblaws — for us that’s milk, bread, eggs, pasta, pasta sauce , frozen veg, baby juice pouches (this one category alone was giving us $72 a year in points), and LOTS of produce items — and often Loblaws would get Extra dollars from our grocery budget on non points items just because we were there already.

The program was the only reason we shopped at Loblaws. Will definitely switch back to Metro, it’s significantly cheaper. Likely will ditch the PC points credit card in favour of Air Miles which means Shoppers Drug Mart will lose my targeted business too. Or maybe look for a good cash back card. I’m not a huge fan of the Air Miles program but overall I believe the dollar savings at Metro combined with Air Miles will now be better than Loblaws/Optimum.

If I was back in the suburbs with a car, I’d move back to shopping exclusively at Costco, regardless of how much I hate the Costco crowds.

I feel there is a bait and switch element here on the part of the program making these changes with little warning ... 50% is a massive dilution ... but maybe they just underestimated how much people would take advantage of the 200 points on the dollar — the points earned on PC Organics was huge.

Really bummed out. I got a lot of value out of the program prior to these crappy changes. I think too there was a gaming aspect that kept me hooked lol. I do think they have underestimated how much business they will lose with these changes as well as ill will.

Also I think what they are doing is 100% illegal under bait and switch laws — feels like a possible class action lawsuit in the making. Legally you cannot do what they are doing to annual subscribers.

My only hesitancy in demanding a pro rated refund —

I’m at 180,000 points earned since June 1 (180 dollars - 113 fee = Have made $67 so far). Can probably boost it to $85 - $95 before oct 8th.

If they do a prorate refund I’m assuming a refund of 8.33 per unused month left plus tax. In my case that’s $67 dollars. I think even with the new crappy point dilution I can make back more than $67 in points in 8 months.

I definitely won’t be renewing but I’ll have to think about cancelling or finishing my membership. I kind of still want to cancel just to show how pissed I am ... but the RFD way is to calculate how to squeeze out every drop of value.
Jan 9, 2014
541 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
rdiamond1 wrote: I have an interesting offer this week for Pampers Pure : 6000 points off for every $ 20 spend.

It makes me think that if PC were smart that might be the way to deliver diaper offers to Insiders. Via the App/Web.
And of course on weeks that there was NOT a Flyer offer.

Time will tell.

Size 4 Pampers - $ 33.99 - buy 2 packs. $ 68. Get back 18000 points for a Digital offer above ( and now PC Insiders of 13,600 points- until Oct 7 ).
That is $31.60 back - or almost half price. Maybe too cheap ? I don't know .

Would I buy 20 packs? - most likely no as i could not fit into my car. And who knows when a baby has a growth spurt.
Thinking of purchasing one pack of size 4 and one pack of size 5 for granddaughter.
hmm i only have a 2000 point per 10$ spend.
So you saying they would send these pamper offers only to Insiders that has history of buying diapers or other baby stuff?
The main benefit of this program was actually the 20% on formula for me.
Pc insiders were the only program that offered that. Lots of others (walmart and amazon ) offer discount on diapers too, but not formula.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1251 posts
987 upvotes
Halifax
Pharmer wrote: hmm i only have a 2000 point per 10$ spend.
So you saying they would send these pamper offers only to Insiders that has history of buying diapers or other baby stuff?
The main benefit of this program was actually the 20% on formula for me.
Pc insiders were the only program that offered that. Lots of others (walmart and amazon ) offer discount on diapers too, but not formula.
I am not sure what they will do quite honestly.
But this would be one option that might work - and they could have limits - like Max 6 if they feel it is problem.

I get it with the formula. I gave my daughter an Insiders membership last year when she had a first baby ( our first grandchild). Her husband does not like like disposable diapers but she uses some. But she uses the PC Formula ( powder ) for her daughter ( who is 13 months now ). She swears by it. She is worried on this and her membership renews in November. However she uses alot of pc brands, laundry, bathroom tissue, oils, pco rice husks, etc... She is thinking it may offset but is not sure.

I think they need to use the app and target Insiders with additional offers - to at least get them thru this hurdle - or they will loose them.

No doubt they know who is buying diapers. I have bought 6 packs in the year - just to have them here for a visit. Or I drop them over with a meal. They can put diaper offers on Staggered weeks with the PC Flyer. I think there is volume in diapers ( and formula) that Galen will not want to loose to Walmart or Costco. At the same time, they do not want to loose money and have diapers resold on kijiji.
Images
  • Add1.jpg
A fan of RFD