Shopping Discussion

PC Insiders Paid Membership - $99 per year / $9.99 per month

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 1:06 pm
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10019 posts
1494 upvotes
mbarj04 wrote: No online service is just to cancel the renewal subscription but the service will be active until the end of original subscription end date; we have to call customer care if refund is requested on proration basis so that th cancellation will be effective immediately..
Thanks. I called them and got it cancelled and they said if I didn't use anything from the Insiders I should get full refund; otherwise prorated. Here's hoping it works.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1374 posts
294 upvotes
Welp that was fast got email this morning from lawyer at a firm specializing in class action lawsuits. Trading a few emails now. Will relay results. I have a feeling as long as PC Optimum is giving us refund they are covered, but will see what the lawyer says.
May 31, 2008
979 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
tew wrote: I doubt that it's illegal. The terms and conditions state that they can modify the program with 30 days notice and that you can cancel without cost with 30 days (I don't know if that means a full or prorated refund) if you don't accept the changes. I'm sure it's different for Quebec.
For the annual membership that was already paid for the entire year- no they cannot change it even with a 30 day notice period.

The 30 day notice period would kick in for monthly subscribers who pay monthly.

The idea that a company has you pay $99 for a 12 month subscription upfront, and then a month later having taking your money say..just kidding, we are now only give you 10% of what we said...and you only have 21 days to request the refund (end of Sept), and the changes take place in 30 days...(first week of OCT)..its bait and switch. Anyways, the refund period should be a full 30 days, not till the end of the month.
Dec 26, 2012
726 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
I received a refund to my CC for the months remaining on our PC insiders 12 month subscription.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4308 posts
3282 upvotes
Ottawa
Well I'm out. Will I keep my points if I cancel?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4677 posts
1669 upvotes
Winnipeg
oakley0023 wrote: I received a refund to my CC for the months remaining on our PC insiders 12 month subscription.
Was that over the phone, or did you cancel online?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20695 posts
14530 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Konowl wrote: Well I'm out. Will I keep my points if I cancel?
Your points are part of the PC Optimum program, not PC Insiders, so you keep them as long as you keep your PCO account.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4308 posts
3282 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote: Your points are part of the PC Optimum program, not PC Insiders, so you keep them as long as you keep your PCO account.
Wicked that's what I figured ty
Dec 26, 2012
726 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
canuckcolehead wrote: Was that over the phone, or did you cancel online?
I cancelled over the phone. They offered me 35k points to stay. I requested full refund. They refunded remaining months.
May 12, 2017
46 posts
47 upvotes
Actually the new plan works better for our family. I know a lot of people were using this for diapers and organic, but we buy more than $25 per week of PC products, plus we use PC Express every week during COVID-19.

I had a referral code which gave 25,000 points on sign-up which is a nice bonus.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14651 posts
4039 upvotes
Thinking about it some more, I think this change makes sense for them.

The current program is a bit strange, really. Extra points on diapers and formula (not their house brand) and Joe Fresh is aimed towards young families, but there's also Organic and Black Label products, which doesn't really target the same demographic. The travel credit seemed more of an ad for PC Travel than anything; where else do they advertise it? No in-store presence or advertising.

Changing it to a blanket 10% on PC products is easier to promote and makes it more appropriate for a subscription-based Insiders program. I think of something like Plum+ (Indigo) where you get free shipping and 10% off, or Amazon Prime where you get free shipping and other exclusive Amazon services. No fees on PC Express also give customers an advantage over other grocery pickup services, and if you use it frequently it adds up.

The increased cost isn't great, but for $10 a month, a few grocery pickups can pay for that.

Don't get me wrong, I oppose the changes, the short notice, and the whole way they're going about this. But they must've done the research and concluded that a) the members they'll lose will not impact them too much (say if they're already losing money on all their diaper purchases) and b) promoting the program and their products will draw in more subscriptions based on how ubiquitous they already are. Costco is better value but they have larger quantities and fewer locations. Amazon doesn't have enough of a grocery presence.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2008
1459 posts
1329 upvotes
Ontario
"clarifying and adding more information about how we may suspend or cancel your account, including in cases where merchandise may be purchased in quantities exceeding normal household use, or if we believe you may be in breach of the terms and conditions"

I think RCSS should have just said - RFD we are watching you
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4121 posts
742 upvotes
Richmond
I did witness someone buying 2 grey baskets full of Joe Fresh to take back to China. Maybe reselling Joe Fresh? Dunno. It is somewhat seen but uncommon when we had all those baby formula buying tourists resellers. The bringing back to China part has me scratching my head as there is a Joe fresh store in China in a super high traffic street. My brother found it while he was visiting relatives.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4121 posts
742 upvotes
Richmond
dtych wrote: "clarifying and adding more information about how we may suspend or cancel your account, including in cases where merchandise may be purchased in quantities exceeding normal household use, or if we believe you may be in breach of the terms and conditions"

I think RCSS should have just said - RFD we are watching you
Lol or targeting the resellers
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1240 posts
980 upvotes
Halifax
There is something going on with PC Diapers.

In our store there were two crates up front - different sizes and packaging - all PC. Being sold off with pink stickers - 50 % off.

Talked to my daughter , and she said the same was going on up the road at her Superstore about 40 km north of us.

I can't imagine they are getting rid of the PC brand diapers , they don't expire but maybe different packaging ?
or they are officially out of the diaper business ?
Ideas ?
A fan of RFD