Shopping Discussion

PC Insiders Paid Membership - $99 per year / $9.99 per month

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2020 9:37 pm
Mar 3, 2018
24 posts
75 upvotes
newfbc wrote:
Another note.. I'm starting to receive personal offers for PC Black Label products that I buy, since discontinuing my PC Insiders Membership.

Ron.
What's your return on your personal PC Black Label offers? 20%?
Koodo $41 - 13GB+1000 Intl LD
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5011 posts
3472 upvotes
Vancouver
nshads wrote: What's your return on your personal PC Black Label offers? 20%?
This week I have 800 points for each Black Label jams or spreads. They are regular priced $3.99 at Superstore.. so ~20%. Last week it was Black Label pasta and it was a points per $ offer that was 20%.

Ron.
Mar 3, 2018
24 posts
75 upvotes
newfbc wrote: This week I have 800 points for each Black Label jams or spreads. They are regular priced $3.99 at Superstore.. so ~20%. Last week it was Black Label pasta and it was a points per $ offer that was 20%.

Ron.
Thx. It'll be interesting to see whether non-members' personal offers keep @ 20% or get bumped down to 10% too.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15021 posts
12130 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
nshads wrote: Thx. It'll be interesting to see whether non-members' personal offers keep @ 20% or get bumped down to 10% too.
Was a PCO Member for a very long time, before I joined PC Insiders this year since the pandemic
All our PC Black Label Offers were 20% range
That’s the norm
(Remember there’s always the RFD PCO Offers thread where you can check out what other folks get ... and contribute your own findings for the offers you receive = pc-optimum-offers-list-2020-2363291/ )
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1684 posts
788 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Bamelin wrote: I think it was a stupid move myself... There are customers like me who will move on to Costco or Metro/Sobeys Air Miles or whatever. Loblaws was always overpriced but the 20% discount on Organics and diapers made it worth it to me.

Oh well.
Loblaws is more expensive than Sobeys in the east? Damn. Sobeys is quite pricey out in the west.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2752 posts
2508 upvotes
GTA
caltran wrote: Loblaws is more expensive than Sobeys in the east? Damn. Sobeys is quite pricey out in the west.
Sobeys is pricey here too, I'm fairly certain Loblaws is cheaper overall.
Mar 3, 2018
24 posts
75 upvotes
caltran wrote: Loblaws is more expensive than Sobeys in the east? Damn. Sobeys is quite pricey out in the west.
Yeah, if you're fortunate enough to live near/willing to travel to RCSS or No Frills, you can do some good price matching (they're part of Loblaws discount division (https://www.loblaw.ca/en.html - scroll down). Hopefully that stays. I price match at RCSS often with Flipp. And in-store CS was willing to price match via PC Express one time (not sure if it's policy). Anyway, 10% per PC brands without the ability to price match across non-Loblaws stores (by reason of brand) is a bit of a catch. But maybe still worth it for a PC hardcorer. I've gotten 320,000 pts from PC insiders alone since mid-May... kind of worth the 8-month remaining ride, I figure.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15021 posts
12130 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
All THE BIG NATIONAL GROCERS here in Eastern Canada have various divisions ...
A high end version, a mid range, and a discount chain

Folks tend to think of them in those 3 groups
BUT the truth is ... it really isn’t so much about price
As it is about selection

With the higher end stores being much bigger, and offering literally dozens if not hundreds of items in just one category

So where a PC+ Loblaws Group No Frills Store May have < 5 brands of Regular Tomato Soup
A PC+ Loblaws Group Loblaws Market Store probably has 10+ brands

Go look at Spaghetti ... and the choices are staggering
At least 25 different kinds to pick from
Everything from No Name, to Store Brands (PC), to oodles of name brands from Canada, North America, and Italy

The NN Spaghetti isn’t any different or necessarily any more expensive than it is at No Frills
It’s just that given all the choices ... fewer Customers buy it

So it’s perceived that shopping @ a Loblaws Branded Store is more expensive

I do find shopping @ Sobeys Group Stores ... less satisfying in general. Cuz they are never as big, so have as much selection as PC+ Loblaws Group Stores. Same can be said for Metro Inc Group stores too. And both those chain’s main stream stores do seem to be more expensive when it comes to their regular prices **

So ya, folks who are not strategy shoppers ...
Are gonna be able to say Chain X is more expensive than Chain Y

But ... if you are a strategy shopper, who only buys stuff on sale / promo then you are always on the search for the lowest price no matter where you shop (one store or many) and only buy goods for the most part when they are indeed the lowest price

Seeing as most shoppers just toss whatever in their carts, without a whole lot of thought to price
It makes sense that they can say then
Groceries cost me more at Chain X vs my last shop at Chain Y
Or I spent more this week than last ... so prices must be going up

All of which isn’t necessarily true
It may be your shopping habits that are erratic ... far more than the prices
Which actually have a trackable pattern & cycle

If you know your prices, and strategy shop ... you’ll soon discover
Which stores offer the best value on any given item
Be it just a once in awhile sale ... or their everyday regular price for that item

** Sobeys, Metro, IGA Quebec (part of Sobeys Group) have less selection, and higher per item regular pricing. Hence why they only get my grocery dollars when there is a great sale or promo on ... Specialty Stores, like FarmBoy (now part of Sobeys Group) also gets some of my grocery dollars ... but that’s for precise items (FarmBoy House Brands) or after I have seen something in their weekly flyer worth going out of my way for. FarmBoy started out as a Fresh Veggies & Fruit Store. In the last 30 years they’ve added other FRESH Goods ... like Cheese, Dairy, Deli, Meals to Go, Bakery, Meats, Fishmonger, etc. All very top quality goods. And consequently tend to be more expensive than the big national chains. What they haven’t added is a whole lot of dry goods & regular groceries. So even if someone shops at FarmBoy regularly ... they still need to go to a regular grocery store for many other items not carried by FarmBoy
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1289 posts
1019 upvotes
Halifax
You know - I like the PC Brand.

They have many products and many great products including their cheeses, meats, Maestro line, Baking mixes ,Splendido, pickles, jams, BM Sodas, mustards, ....

I have tried many and they are definitely my go to brand on many categories.

I am actually super interested in how it will work. I am optimistic.

NN - it depends. In general , if given an option I would definitely pay more and buy PC or a name brand. I am sure it has improved and maybe I am too picky but I am more confident with PC.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1684 posts
788 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Sobeys here is never better on price than RCSS, even with careful sale shopping. Problem is the base price is just that much higher.

And yeah, I do like the PC Brand. It's very trustworthy. They should actually push it a lot harder than they do.

About the only thing I find RCSS falters on is deli meat and higher end cheeses. For that Sobeys and Co-op here are almost as good as a cheese shop.
Mar 3, 2018
24 posts
75 upvotes
caltran wrote:
About the only thing I find RCSS falters on is deli meat and higher end cheeses. For that Sobeys and Co-op here are almost as good as a cheese shop.
Have you tried the PC Black Label Parmagiano-Reggiano? The PC Organics cheeses are worth their price IMO, which I think are the same cheeses at Metro, under their own label. Some of these chains surely source from the same farms/suppliers.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1684 posts
788 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
nshads wrote: Have you tried the PC Black Label Parmagiano-Reggiano? The PC Organics cheeses are worth their price IMO, which I think are the same cheeses at Metro, under their own label. Some of these chains surely source from the same farms/suppliers.
Yes, those are very good. They just lack things like a good Gouda, Emmentaler, Gruyere, blue, feta, even their cheddar selection could be better. And they don't carry things like burrata.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1289 posts
1019 upvotes
Halifax
nshads wrote: Have you tried the PC Black Label Parmagiano-Reggiano? The PC Organics cheeses are worth their price IMO, which I think are the same cheeses at Metro, under their own label. Some of these chains surely source from the same farms/suppliers.
BL parmesan . This is the BEST Parmesan cheese ever.
Isle of Man and Red Fox are also unreal.

Splendido is not bad behind it and sometimes goes on sale.

I think 10 % back on Splendido (regular price ) comes to $ 3.60 / 100 grams and 20 % back on BL Parm comes to $ 4.40 / 100 grams.

IF you have a Deli Cheese offer - all the better !
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1684 posts
788 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Anything labelled "Parmigiano-Reggiano" has to come from certain regions of Italy, so it basically boils down to price.

I like the Pecorino Romano more, actually.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1378 posts
300 upvotes
If I was to rank prices for me it's

Whole Foods
Longos
Loblaws
Sobeys
Metro

Discount:
Wal Mart
No frills
Freshco

I used to do alot more strategic shopping prior to PC INSIDERS but in general I have always found Metro to be the cheapest of the premium stores. But yeah Loblaws def has larger selection.