[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3540 posts
1857 upvotes
Toronto, ON

PC making loud fan noise and no display

Hey guys,

I got this old PC but its still good and would like to use as a spare PC in my office room. Its an HP Pavilion machine and has a AMD dual-core processor with 2GB ram and 500GB hard drive. 750 Watt PSU and a 1 GB PCI-e x16 Graphics card from ATI. But when I go to turn on the PC, it starts up and has a loud fan humming sound, and has no video. So I took out the video card and tried it, same problem. I inspected the case fans or Processor fans for any dust, but none whatsoever. It baffles me because I haven't used this machine in a while now and its kept in a dust free location in the house, yet it just won't turn on.

Any advice? I know its an old POJ but just to use it as a spare PC for my documents I guess it'll be worth while. Not willing to spend extra hundred $$$ to purchase a cheap machine.

Please help, thanks.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
10 replies
Banned
Apr 3, 2016
81 posts
9 upvotes
lamboman wrote: Any advice? I know its an old POJ but just to use it as a spare PC for my documents I guess it'll be worth while. Not willing to spend extra hundred $$$ to purchase a cheap machine.
It looks like there are couple of problems, fan/display..You will end up spending some $ to get new fan, new VGA card and perhaps new mother board too..
My 2 cents system itself is bit old, 2GB RAM, AMD processors and not worth spending any more bucks on it to replace the troubled parts, save some money and perhaps find a deal to buy one..Dell.ca sometimes have good deals..

In the mean time, Why dont you get an external hard drive to store your documents ? I wouldn't rely on this old machine to archive my documents.

If you cant afford new drive, perhaps buy SATA external case, costs about $10-$20 bucks at factory/tiger direct, remove the hard drive from this laptop and have it in the case. You can store the documents for some time until you get new hard-drive or system.

On sidelines, i store all my important documents in at-least 2 hard-drives, you never know when they ditch you!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3540 posts
1857 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Scroolooz wrote: It looks like there are couple of problems, fan/display..You will end up spending some $ to get new fan, new VGA card and perhaps new mother board too..
My 2 cents system itself is bit old, 2GB RAM, AMD processors and not worth spending any more bucks on it to replace the troubled parts, save some money and perhaps find a deal to buy one..Dell.ca sometimes have good deals..

In the mean time, Why dont you get an external hard drive to store your documents ? I wouldn't rely on this old machine to archive my documents.

If you cant afford new drive, perhaps buy SATA external case, costs about $10-$20 bucks at factory/tiger direct, remove the hard drive from this laptop and have it in the case. You can store the documents for some time until you get new hard-drive or system.

On sidelines, i store all my important documents in at-least 2 hard-drives, you never know when they ditch you!
Hey bud,

Thanks for your prompt reply, Ya I'm considering just throwing this junk away. The only thing is, I bought this at FutureShop when I used to work there, for $999.99 and its been very good for all this time (mind you it had win XP! I've later upgraded it to Win7 lol). Never spend so much money on PC's because these types of situations will have you scrambling for a new one and the money spent on it, is of total waste now! Lesson learned, and thanks for your help BTW!!!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Banned
Apr 3, 2016
81 posts
9 upvotes
NP.

I know this hurts the first one i had bought was Toshiba for 1600 USD in 2004 ish...that died was replaced by HP ($600) in 2007, which was on Vista died in 2009, switched to Macbook ($1400) so far so good.

Just remember to take your hard drive before you dump it......or atleast erase data completely.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
717 upvotes
take out on1 stick of ram at a time (might have 2 sticks) and retest. Try another PSU. If it has a speaker then it might make a beep noise code to tell you what went wrong.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3540 posts
1857 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rageking wrote: take out on1 stick of ram at a time (might have 2 sticks) and retest. Try another PSU. If it has a speaker then it might make a beep noise code to tell you what went wrong.
Buddy tried all that already, and to no avail! I guess its a dead MOBO sighhh :(
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2798 posts
946 upvotes
Windsor
Ensure the PC speaker is installed, and reset BIOS. If, after a reset, you're not at least getting diagnostic beeps, I'd think maybe the motherboard.

Could try taking EVERY part out the PC (save for, maybe, the CPU) and boot the motherboard to see if you get diagnostic beeps; you should get SOMETHING at that point.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3540 posts
1857 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ChubChub wrote: Ensure the PC speaker is installed, and reset BIOS. If, after a reset, you're not at least getting diagnostic beeps, I'd think maybe the motherboard.

Could try taking EVERY part out the PC (save for, maybe, the CPU) and boot the motherboard to see if you get diagnostic beeps; you should get SOMETHING at that point.
Thanks guys for the awesome help! I just don't have time during the week as I work till 4pm and run a business after that. On either saturday or sunday I will take a look and see what else I can do.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29344 posts
9924 upvotes
lamboman wrote: Hey guys,

I got this old PC but its still good... But when I go to turn on the PC, it starts up and has a loud fan humming sound, and has no video. ... I haven't used this machine in a while now and its kept in a dust free location in the house, yet it just won't turn on.
Wait what now? LOL. So it's still good but doesn't work. Oookay then.

Anyway, it sounds like you tried a bunch of stuff already... Beyond this you'll have to try stuff like swapping the PSU, CPU, board, and if you don't have any spare items around (or a compatible board) then you'll just be throwing money at something that's not worth much as it is.

I'd just salvage the HDD and possibly the case and then take the rest of the stuff to the HHW depot and be done with it. I mean personally I would try a bunch more stuff but then I have a lot of PC components lying around that I can use to troubleshoot. If you don't have that stuff, it's not really worth buying anything to test various things.

I'm guessing it's an A64 X2 with DDR2 and the videocard from that era is probably something like an HD 4xxx or 5xxx, which is probably slow as molasses by today's standards and not worth much/worth saving either. You can get refurb or used C2D/C2Q machines for around $200 or less, if you really need another PC...it will also be faster than this thing. Otherwise you're going to end up spending nearly as much money to just troubleshoot/get this thing up and running again anyway. If you strongly suspect the motherboard is done, you could try finding what I'm guessing is an AM2/AM2+ board on the cheap but those are harder to find than you would think and some people ask too much money for them. I say just cut your losses, but up to you.

Either way, good luck.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3540 posts
1857 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Wait what now? LOL. So it's still good but doesn't work. Oookay then.

Anyway, it sounds like you tried a bunch of stuff already... Beyond this you'll have to try stuff like swapping the PSU, CPU, board, and if you don't have any spare items around (or a compatible board) then you'll just be throwing money at something that's not worth much as it is.

I'd just salvage the HDD and possibly the case and then take the rest of the stuff to the HHW depot and be done with it. I mean personally I would try a bunch more stuff but then I have a lot of PC components lying around that I can use to troubleshoot. If you don't have that stuff, it's not really worth buying anything to test various things.

I'm guessing it's an A64 X2 with DDR2 and the videocard from that era is probably something like an HD 4xxx or 5xxx, which is probably slow as molasses by today's standards and not worth much/worth saving either. You can get refurb or used C2D/C2Q machines for around $200 or less, if you really need another PC...it will also be faster than this thing. Otherwise you're going to end up spending nearly as much money to just troubleshoot/get this thing up and running again anyway. If you strongly suspect the motherboard is done, you could try finding what I'm guessing is an AM2/AM2+ board on the cheap but those are harder to find than you would think and some people ask too much money for them. I say just cut your losses, but up to you.

Either way, good luck.
Hey bud, what I meant was cosmetically and internally its a good PC (no dust and fans and processor fans are dust free), but it just wouldn't turn on at all. I'm guessing by the likes of it, probably the motherboard is bad. But nevertheless, this weekend will be a stay-at-home weekend for me as I will probably need to check out this PC. Thanks guys.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2441 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Need a better description of the problem.

By loud fan noise do you mean the fans become very fast and sound like they are blowing a lot of air? If you leave it alone does the lights on your keyboard flash on and off? What was the longest time you have left it running after it wouldn't start?

What you are describing could be a boot recovery system, the mobo detects a problem with normal booting and tries to reboot over and over again with default BIOS settings. I used to get it on my old pc, I think maybe caused by unstable voltages, not sure. The first thing I would try is to just leave it alone and let it do it's thing for a few minutes.