None
[OP]
May 27, 2007
148 posts
99 upvotes
British Columbia

PC Mastercard reducing points for gas purchases

Just got an email with this info
Screenshot_2019-05-31 Important Information Points earned on fuel will be changing - oldnumberten gmail com - Gmail.png
Thread Summary
May 31, 2019 (@Albuca) - Fine Print from Email:

1Points earning rate at Mobil locations adjacent to Loblaw banner grocery stores will remain unchanged from the current rate. Select Mobil stations impacted by this notice include those not adjacent to Loblaw banner grocery stores which at the time of this notice means the following locations:
1166 Victoria N, Kitchener, N2B 3C6
6199 Steeles Ave W, North York, M9L 2V1
260 Gorham Rd, Ridgeway, L0S 1N0
19 Adelaide Street, London, N5Z 3J9
487 Hamilton Road, London, N5Z 1S3
330 Tower Street S, Fergus, N1M 2P6
1525 HWY 11 N, Shanty Bay, LOL 2L0
5687-5711 Stanley Ave, Niagara Falls, L2G 3X6
162 Front Street, Sturgeon Falls, P2B 2H8

For the current points earning at your nearest Esso or Mobil location1, check pcfinancial.ca/gas

*Up to and including July 31, 2019 earn 20 PC Optimum points per purchased litre of gasoline and diesel fuel when you pay with your President’s Choice Financial MasterCard® at Esso and select Mobil stations in Canada. PC Financial World Elite Mastercard® holders earn 30 PC Optimum points per litre on Octane 91 and Octane 93 gasoline only.

**Effective August 1st 2019, earn at least 10 PC Optimum points per purchased litre of gasoline or diesel fuel when you pay with your President’s Choice Financial MasterCard® at Esso and select Mobil stations in Canada. Earn an additional 10 PC Optimum points on all purchases of premium fuels (includes Octane 89, 91 and 93) at Esso stations and select Mobil locations in Canada when you use any PC Financial Mastercard ®. In addition, you will continue to earn the 10 PC Optimum points per dollar spent on the card, and the PC Optimum points available to all PC Optimum loyalty members at Esso and select Mobil stations in Canada. You could earn even more at Mobil adjacent to a Loblaw banner grocery store. For full details including how points are awarded to your account and rounding rules, visit pcfinancial.ca/gas.

^Should fuel prices fall below $1/L, a minimum of 10 points per litre will be awarded.
90 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6542 posts
5719 upvotes
Where's the rest of the fineprint with the asterisks'?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20040 posts
4599 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I may switch to RBC VISA / Petro for 3c/L discount.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
2127 posts
1627 upvotes
GTA
The options I see are:
1) RBC Visa if you are fine with Petro Canada
2) Tangerine MC for 2% cash back any gas station (up to 3 categories)
3) Get a reloadable Esso/Mobil GC from CardSwap or Ebates gift card store, they let you reload the card for around 2% cash back and you get your regular credit card points on top (e.g. Rogers WE MC = 1.75% + 2% = 3.75% cash back) but the downside is you load up in advance and have an extra card. These people sometimes have deals (e.g. 3% cash back or esso/mobil fuel discount cards)
4) RBC Cashback MC, this gives you 3c/l off with Petro like the VISA but also gives you 2% Grocery cash back (Tangerine is better since you can do the same and one more category).

Hope that helps, but I would dump (leave in the drawer) the PC financial card if they give me effectively just 1% for gas, lol.
[OP]
May 27, 2007
148 posts
99 upvotes
British Columbia
Gtaphotog wrote: Where's the rest of the fineprint with the asterisks'?
Up to and including July 31, 2019 earn 20 PC Optimum points per purchased litre of gasoline and diesel fuel when you pay with your President’s Choice Financial MasterCard® at Esso and select Mobil stations in Canada. PC Financial World Elite Mastercard® holders earn 30 PC Optimum points per litre on Octane 91 and Octane 93 gasoline only.

**Effective August 1st 2019, earn at least 10 PC Optimum points per purchased litre of gasoline or diesel fuel when you pay with your President’s Choice Financial MasterCard® at Esso and select Mobil stations in Canada. Earn an additional 10 PC Optimum points on all purchases of premium fuels (includes Octane 89, 91 and 93) at Esso stations and select Mobil locations in Canada when you use any PC Financial Mastercard ®. In addition, you will continue to earn the 10 PC Optimum points per dollar spent on the card, and the PC Optimum points available to all PC Optimum loyalty members at Esso and select Mobil stations in Canada. You could earn even more at Mobil adjacent to a Loblaw banner grocery store. For full details including how points are awarded to your account and rounding rules, visit pcfinancial.ca/gas.

^Should fuel prices fall below $1/L, a minimum of 10 points per litre will be awarded.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6542 posts
5719 upvotes
davvos wrote:
Hahaha I'd love to see that happen anywhere in the GTA.
May 12, 2019
485 posts
849 upvotes
"Greetings, cardholder #62875. It has come to our attention from the constant monitoring of everybody's Equifax ever 4 minutes and 37 seconds per day, with a 29 minute 11 second interval during which our subcontracted Pakistani IT people are physically motivated via whipping to maintain our moribund legacy computer systems that always crash, that some people are, in fact, extracting actual rewards from our rewards credit cards. As such, please present yourself and 8 pieces of ID, a signed and notarized certification of cardholdership, and the deed to your first born child at any Optimum location. In exchange for devaluing all your purchases by 50%, you will be rewarded with a caning of 10 strokes (7 for World Elite members) and sent on your way with a monitoring device so our auditors can harangue you about any changes in your credit report at any time. Your transunion has been hard pulled 6 times to facilitate this transaction.

All hail our glorious overlord, Big Brother Galen Weston"
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13711 posts
3755 upvotes
GTA
They should just sum up the email more succinctly and say we are devaluing your gas rewards.
Mar 21, 2019
746 posts
727 upvotes
Cheapmaestro wrote: "Greetings, cardholder #62875. It has come to our attention from the constant monitoring of everybody's Equifax ever 4 minutes and 37 seconds per day, with a 29 minute 11 second interval during which our subcontracted Pakistani IT people are physically motivated via whipping to maintain our moribund legacy computer systems that always crash, that some people are, in fact, extracting actual rewards from our rewards credit cards. As such, please present yourself and 8 pieces of ID, a signed and notarized certification of cardholdership, and the deed to your first born child at any Optimum location. In exchange for devaluing all your purchases by 50%, you will be rewarded with a caning of 10 strokes (7 for World Elite members) and sent on your way with a monitoring device so our auditors can harangue you about any changes in your credit report at any time. Your transunion has been hard pulled 6 times to facilitate this transaction.

Funny, but 100% true.
Now what does everyone think of this company?
I’ll continue to use them for the free $100, and 6 month no fee BT promo, but that’s about it!
Cancel and reapply in 6 months or so Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2541 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver
Right now I go to the mobil in superstore and get 35 points for being optunium member and 35 for Master card

What will it be after these changes just 30 points?

In b.c
Jul 26, 2011
508 posts
520 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Gtaphotog wrote: Hahaha I'd love to see that happen anywhere in the GTA.
Gas was 80ish cents just a few months ago.
May 20, 2009
97 posts
18 upvotes
montreal
If following statement is true, is this much ado about nothing, asI almost exclusively fill my gas at Loblaws gas stations not at retail Esso's:

Points earning rate at Mobil locations adjacent to Loblaw banner grocery stores will remain unchanged from the current rate. Select Mobil stations impacted by this notice include those not adjacent to Loblaw banner grocery stores which at the time of this notice means the following locations:
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14081 posts
11731 upvotes
Not Leask
Interesting. Doesn't the PCO WE give a flat rebate on fuel at partner gas bars?

Probably time to switch to CTFS 🤣
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Penalty Box
Nov 5, 2018
2916 posts
5179 upvotes
Toronto
martydxb wrote: The options I see are:
1) RBC Visa if you are fine with Petro Canada
2) Tangerine MC for 2% cash back any gas station (up to 3 categories)
3) Get a reloadable Esso/Mobil GC from CardSwap or Ebates gift card store, they let you reload the card for around 2% cash back and you get your regular credit card points on top (e.g. Rogers WE MC = 1.75% + 2% = 3.75% cash back) but the downside is you load up in advance and have an extra card. These people sometimes have deals (e.g. 3% cash back or esso/mobil fuel discount cards)
4) RBC Cashback MC, this gives you 3c/l off with Petro like the VISA but also gives you 2% Grocery cash back (Tangerine is better since you can do the same and one more category).

Hope that helps, but I would dump (leave in the drawer) the PC financial card if they give me effectively just 1% for gas, lol.
Great summary. I think I will be sticking with my RBC Cashback MC for the 3c/L off at Petro and also use my Canadian Tire WE at Gas +
Called the bottom.
Mar 21, 2019
746 posts
727 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Or you could gas at Costco only and not deal with any BS.
That’s what we do.
Obviously I wouldn’t make a special trip there just for gas, but our Costco is close to the other places we shop, so we’re not going out of our way to go there for gas, even if we don’t plan on going into the warehouse.
Feb 17, 2015
968 posts
357 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Cheapmaestro wrote: "Greetings, cardholder #62875. It has come to our attention from the constant monitoring of everybody's Equifax ever 4 minutes and 37 seconds per day, with a 29 minute 11 second interval during which our subcontracted Pakistani IT people are physically motivated via whipping to maintain our moribund legacy computer systems that always crash, that some people are, in fact, extracting actual rewards from our rewards credit cards. As such, please present yourself and 8 pieces of ID, a signed and notarized certification of cardholdership, and the deed to your first born child at any Optimum location. In exchange for devaluing all your purchases by 50%, you will be rewarded with a caning of 10 strokes (7 for World Elite members) and sent on your way with a monitoring device so our auditors can harangue you about any changes in your credit report at any time. Your transunion has been hard pulled 6 times to facilitate this transaction.

I called them before to ask them why they we're soft pulling my credit report 1-2 times a month, they did not have an answer
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10161 posts
12138 upvotes
Vancouver
I've never been a fan of ¢/L fuel discounts on credit cards. As the price of fuel increases, the discount stays the same. I'd much rather have a % rebate, which means my discount increases along with the price increase. Where I am the price of gas is $1.499/l at Esso. 3¢/L is a 2% discount. Much happier with the 4% I get with my Visa card, works out to 6¢/L at the current price.
Dec 17, 2006
473 posts
217 upvotes
Calgary
Poutinesauce wrote: Or you could gas at Costco only and not deal with any BS.
Except for the ridiculous lines at most times of the day. Waiting 10-15 minutes in line wasting gas to save a couple cents doesn't seem worthwhile.