• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2016 8:56 am
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
556 posts
156 upvotes
the 604

PC Mastercard World Elite: Good card, terrible quality

PC Mastercard WE is my main weapon of choice.

but the actual card is pretty crap. it is the most beat up card in my wallet, but not from (over)use. three of the numbers have had the silver rubbed off, others are fading. the right side is chipped/ragged, kind looks like i rubbed it against gravel or something. top edge has a coating layer (i'm guessing that's what it is) that is peeling back. strangely, this is only the front of the card -- the back is fine. the kicker: i've had this card for less than a year.

meanwhile, AMEX, RBC and even my gym pass are in excellent condition. never had a card look like this.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1025 posts
445 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
AMRadio wrote: three of the numbers have had the silver rubbed off, others are fading. the right side is chipped/ragged, kind looks like i rubbed it against gravel or something. top edge has a coating layer (i'm guessing that's what it is) that is peeling back. strangely, this is only the front of the card -- the back is fine. the kicker: i've had this card for less than a year.
Except for the coating layer issue, what you describe is pretty much my experience with the cards I use the most (5-10 times a week). And that includes two RBC credit cards.

Out of curiosity, who manufactures PC MasterCard credit cards? (The name or logo should appear on the back, usually above the magnetic stripe, e.g. Gemalto, G&D, Oberthur...)
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
556 posts
156 upvotes
the 604
airodyssey wrote: Out of curiosity, who manufactures PC MasterCard credit cards? (The name or logo should appear on the back, usually above the magnetic stripe, e.g. Gemalto, G&D, Oberthur...)
don't see a name or logo above the stripe, just the Customer Service numbers
Aug 27, 2004
692 posts
157 upvotes
Cyberspace
airodyssey wrote: Except for the coating layer issue, what you describe is pretty much my experience with the cards I use the most (5-10 times a week). And that includes two RBC credit cards.

Out of curiosity, who manufactures PC MasterCard credit cards? (The name or logo should appear on the back, usually above the magnetic stripe, e.g. Gemalto, G&D, Oberthur...)
G&D - the logo is in the bottom right corner.

All of the front silver number paint on mine is worn off. The back is pristine.
Former Know-It-All
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2647 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
airodyssey wrote: Except for the coating layer issue, what you describe is pretty much my experience with the cards I use the most (5-10 times a week). And that includes two RBC credit cards.

Rogers mc is gemalto and it's holding out fine. In your experience does the quality vary a lot from the 3 major manufacturers?
Aug 3, 2013
488 posts
288 upvotes
Durham
CIBC Tim Hortons VISA also is poor quality. Battery conked out within 6 months.
Mar 15, 2011
533 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
rate supermarket has 50,000 PC points offer for the PC (world elite) mastercard right now. Is that $50 worth, right?

I also got an email offer from CIBC Tim Horton Visa - $50 in tim cash right now
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2018 posts
584 upvotes
AMRadio wrote: three of the numbers have had the silver rubbed off, others are fading.
This is exactly what I am experiencing with my PC Elite MC.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5454 posts
3993 upvotes
Cap1 Aspire Travel World Elite is poor quality too.....
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5454 posts
3993 upvotes
Deal Grabber wrote: Do you guys seriously care about how a card wears? :confused: :facepalm:
Once it's scratched or has wears, it doesn't look perfect. Not happy lol...
Oct 27, 2012
477 posts
250 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote: Cap1 Aspire Travel World Elite is poor quality too.....
Can confirm. Mine looks exactly like the OP described for his card, with the top "layer" peeling and all.

That being said, I use my card probably 2-3 times a day.
Apr 17, 2014
357 posts
210 upvotes
Calgary
No worries.... Just call customer service and they will send a replacement right away.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4169 posts
803 upvotes
Richmond
O.o what have you been doing to your card! I use mine nearly everyday and it's held up pretty nicely. My mom's even better. The silver stuff is still there. And she's gotten a new card.
Jul 12, 2015
125 posts
16 upvotes
TO
My card looks like crap as well. I use it once or twice a day. So the action of pulling it out of its slot has worn the covering at the edges, especially the top.

I also found that my PIN occasionally doesn't read properly...and I would have tried it at various other places as well, it does fix itself a couple hours later though...
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1575 posts
363 upvotes
Montreal
EdisonL299 wrote: Once it's scratched or has wears, it doesn't look perfect. Not happy lol...
lol, this thread amuses me... thought I was the only one who got annoyed at cards when they started fraying early in their life. I've gotten used to just calling the CC companies up and asking for a new one every time I see some tarnish... free for now
though it would be nice if a company came out with a card that was very high quality and wouldn't give up ghost so quickly

all this will be moot when we start using our smart phones, right?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2018 posts
584 upvotes
Of all the cards that I ever owned, I found CIBC Tim's card (with the amusing lights) to be of the worst quality.
Mar 16, 2008
222 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
I've had this card for 9 months and its in terrible shape. All the silver numbers rubbed off in under 2 months. There is a long crack under the magnetic strip. Also the the quick tap and go function stopped working a month ago. I finally called in earlier this week to have a replacement sent.