Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
PC Mobile

Moto G5 $139

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2018 2:33 pm
Tags:
Mar 1, 2016
165 posts
97 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
dirtmover wrote: If it's any consolation I've not been able to find one Ottawa. Pretty sure this is a bit of a scam with very few of these phones actually available.
Darn. I just called Loblaws 1460 Merivale (at Baseline), they do not have them in stock. Keep my posted if you find any in Ottawa.
Last edited by adamareid on Feb 25th, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RFD Effect: Fido 20GB $39 ➡ ThinkPad E570 i7-7500U $651.20 ➡ Seiko 5 Men's Automatic $56.33 ➡ Brother DCP-L2520DW $79.99 ➡ Walls Cotton Duck Jacket $17.27 ➡ Black&Decker 20V Drill+Impact $37.25 ➡ Outdoor Research Men's Snowcrew Jacket $107.50
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11274 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: Probably one of Freedom Mobile's plans if you live within their zones.
Stay away from FM with this phone. No B66 support means data will be OK to unusable depending on where you are and time of day.
Mar 1, 2016
165 posts
97 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
repatch wrote: Stay away from FM with this phone. No B66 support means data will be OK to unusable depending on where you are and time of day.
Interesting. I currently have the G3 on Freedom Mobile. I've found data speeds and overall coverage zones are vastly improved since they bumped us all up to LTE in the fall. Does the G3 have B66?
RFD Effect: Fido 20GB $39 ➡ ThinkPad E570 i7-7500U $651.20 ➡ Seiko 5 Men's Automatic $56.33 ➡ Brother DCP-L2520DW $79.99 ➡ Walls Cotton Duck Jacket $17.27 ➡ Black&Decker 20V Drill+Impact $37.25 ➡ Outdoor Research Men's Snowcrew Jacket $107.50
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
adamareid wrote: Interesting. I currently have the G3 on Freedom Mobile. I've found data speeds and overall coverage zones are vastly improved since they bumped us all up to LTE in the fall. Does the G3 have B66?
I'm not entirely sure but your location may have something to do with it. Freedom does not use the same bands for their LTE in each city, so it's possible that in your city they use a band which the G3 supports whereas in Toronto for example they do not.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1386 posts
1800 upvotes
Quebec
amazigh wrote: I got one today from Provigo on Decarie , great cell , but the battery is not impress compared with my old ZTI A1, 3H for usage and it was 60%, maybe due to the couple of updates !
anyway .. tomorrow .I will check to confirm.
thank you Boft for you help
Had the same problem on my first day, battery was dropping almost 10% every hour.
You need to manually reactivate the doze fonction so background apps will not drain the battery with in sleep mode.
After doing so I now use about 1% per hour.
Haven't charged it in 3 days.

1- Open the Settings app on your phone (Pull down the notifications shade, and tap the gear in the upper right corner, or find “Settings” in the App Drawer.)
2- Tap Battery.
3- Tap the menu button and choose “Battery optimization.”
4- Tap the dropdown menu at the top of the screen and select “All apps.”

That did the job for me.
Mar 1, 2016
165 posts
97 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BeapChastard wrote: I'm not entirely sure but your location may have something to do with it. Freedom does not use the same bands for their LTE in each city, so it's possible that in your city they use a band which the G3 supports whereas in Toronto for example they do not.
Ah, good call. I'm in Ottawa an I think we're on a different LTE band than the rest of the country.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11274 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: I'm not entirely sure but your location may have something to do with it. Freedom does not use the same bands for their LTE in each city, so it's possible that in your city they use a band which the G3 supports whereas in Toronto for example they do not.
To be specific, these are the technologies and bands supported by FM (in chronological order of deployment):

3G/HSPA: Band 4 (1700/2100)
4G/LTE: Band 66 (1700/2100), B4(1700/2100) and B7 (2600)

B4 3G coverage is available everywhere FM has coverage. It is by far the most congested band, and most people still have horrible performance when their phone is on that band with that technology (I usually see less then 1Mbps on this technology/band combination, when it works at all). Also remember that all voice calls are on this band/tech combo, and voice always has priority

B66 (which is a superset of B4, it includes B4) LTE coverage is available almost everywhere FM has coverage. It is the best band to have support for since only a subset of the phones used on FM support it, I have seen fantastic data performance on this band everywhere I go (30-40Mbps easily)

B4 LTE coverage is just refarmed 3G coverage, they are taking bandwidth away from the crazy over subscribed 3G B4 service and converting it to LTE. The benefit is pretty much every phone that supports LTE sold in Canada works on this band. The con is pretty much every phone sold supports this band. So you take a band that was crazy over subscribed, and take a fraction of that available bandwidth and give it to everybody. The result is a band/tech combo that is almost as bad as the 3G B4 coverage. I see usually 1-3Mbps of bandwidth on this band/tech combo, when it works.

B7 LTE coverage is VERY limited. In the GTA region I rarely see this band at all downtown, only time I usually see it on my commute is in the Yorkdale mall area. They are deploying it, but haven't gotten that far yet. On top of that, at 2600MHz B7 has very poor in building penetration, if you though B4/B66 was bad, just wait until you experience B7. All that said, when you are in the coverage area, and you have signal, this one is BY FAR the highest performing. I've regularly seen 50-60Mbps on this band, this rivals when I get on the Bellus and Rogers networks. The other benefit is pretty much every LTE phone sold supports it.

So, if you have a phone on FM, make sure it has B66. You may be lucky that in your particular area their B4 isn't massively oversubscribed and you'll get decent bandwidth. You may also be lucky that your particular area has B7 coverage, but again in building coverage is bad with B4/66, it's much worse on B7.

A year or two from now, when B7 is more widely deployed the need for B66 support will wane, but having it will ALWAYS help, especially in building and in more fringe areas.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1296 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
adamareid wrote: Interesting. I currently have the G3 on Freedom Mobile. I've found data speeds and overall coverage zones are vastly improved since they bumped us all up to LTE in the fall. Does the G3 have B66?
G3 does not have band 66 support... But I also had little issues with g3 datawise. But, calls and txt messages is a whole nother story, dropped calls, failed calls, staticky sound during calls, very delayed txt messages.... Yeah a total nightmare...

Btw I was using a g3 flashed with US fiirmware to work with freedom about a year ago.
May 23, 2007
642 posts
384 upvotes
Kanata
Just upgraded to this from a z30 and wow. It blows away the old blackberry. Well worth the $139.
Dec 5, 2009
332 posts
298 upvotes
Does anyone know whether the Moto G5 is still available in the GTA.
Mar 11, 2008
495 posts
1045 upvotes
London
My local Independent has 3rd gen Moto G for $39.99

Might be worth a look for kids phone.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4578 posts
2489 upvotes
Blows it away in terms of... speed? Apps? Battery? I'm sure the camera is definitely better on the G5.

I've still got mine but have been considering this one as the z30 has recently become laggy (not sure if it's because of the large microSD card I added)? Otherwise my z30 still works well and it has NFC and am tempted by the G5...
z613 wrote: Just upgraded to this from a z30 and wow. It blows away the old blackberry. Well worth the $139.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
Need some help - got this for my husband and originally set it up under my gmail account. Now he has set up his own google account and we want to remove mine off his phone and add his new one - when we click to remove it says not allowed by the administrator - any way we can make the switch?? help!

Phone is just charging and updating right now.
May 23, 2007
642 posts
384 upvotes
Kanata
Yes, it's faster, smoother, way better apps, and battery seems good. It's like I just stepped out of the dark ages from that old school blackberry and into 2018. I loved the z30 and had anxiety ditching it, but am glad I did.
May 23, 2007
642 posts
384 upvotes
Kanata
...and I find the screen better.
Nov 27, 2015
30 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
snow00774 wrote: Need some help - got this for my husband and originally set it up under my gmail account. Now he has set up his own google account and we want to remove mine off his phone and add his new one - when we click to remove it says not allowed by the administrator - any way we can make the switch?? help!

Phone is just charging and updating right now.
Just factory reset the phone and enter his account when prompted. Remember to back up anything you need to keep before resetting.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
jaydbee wrote: Just factory reset the phone and enter his account when prompted. Remember to back up anything you need to keep before resetting.
awesome thank you - we literally just took it out of the box so thankfully nothing to save!
Mar 24, 2015
433 posts
305 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
z613 wrote: Yes, it's faster, smoother, way better apps, and battery seems good. It's like I just stepped out of the dark ages from that old school blackberry and into 2018. I loved the z30 and had anxiety ditching it, but am glad I did.
I went from the Z30 to the G4 a year ago, and I was in the same boat. The Z30 was a great phone, but I'd had it with the OS
Dec 14, 2017
56 posts
14 upvotes
Does anyone know where I can find this in the GTA? I know the Mobile Shop offers them but would it be wise to call a RCSS too? Sorry I'm new to the whole PC clan of stores LOL!