Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
PC Mobile

Moto G5 $139

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2018 2:33 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1087 posts
832 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought one to use as a backup phone. Runs nicely; decent speed. Supports adoptable storage (unlike Samsung phones) so the 16GB isn't an issue.

Great value for the money.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
ES_REVENGE...... my take on everything that you have said ( repeatedly ) is that this is not a phone for you and that you should just move on rather than further repeat yourself again.

As has been said, this phone is targeted to a particular market and more than meets the needs of most users. It is new, it is under warranty, it has the recent android os (nougat ) and oreo will be coming for it. Security patches are fairly up to date.
Additionally, it is of reasonable price ( for a new phone ) so it ticks the blocks for many people.
Oct 2, 2011
33 posts
27 upvotes
AB
Purchased G5 from RCSS McKenzie in Calgary yesterday. Using as a secondary device for android auto / google maps onto OEM radio and hotspotting off primary phone (iPhone). Happy with it so far.
Jan 28, 2008
147 posts
71 upvotes
Ontario
ph00p wrote: Excellent phone, I put AEX 8.1 on there, no problems so far, theres a bit of having to pay careful attention to make sure you have the 64bit software on there but otherwise it's a great cheap phone.
Was it difficult to unlock the bootloader?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
3057 posts
1504 upvotes
psommerfeld wrote: Was it difficult to unlock the bootloader?
Nope! Pretty painless, some great youtube videos out there, you just use ADB and a simple command line you can copy paste into it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Just picked up one from Mississauga RCSS by Winston Churchill and 401.

Upgraded from LG g3 and zte zmax2, this is a fine phone. Using my 64gb sd card as internal. Works great.
Still don't get how it's an upgrade (other than Android version) over the G3. G3 has a way better screen, faster CPU, and more RAM.
repatch wrote: Required performance for your average user peaked a few years ago. While it is true that midrange phones of today are still slower then high end phones of a few years ago, the fact is the performance of these mid range phones is more then enough for most people.

I have a phone with a 625 and another with a 821. For day to day activities there is ZERO difference between the two. Yes, some apps might start up slightly faster, but that's more dependent on storage speed.
If you're telling me there's "ZERO" difference between an 821 and a 625, that's one thing, because they're actually not that far apart, other than the GPU being stronger in the 821. But the G5 doesn't even have a 625...it has a 430! Much slower clock speed, slower RAM (and less of it on most phones that tend to use it), albeit a GPU that's not much different than the 625. A 430 compared to the other two should definitely have some noticeable difference. If it doesn't, then the "high-end" phones out there are simply not fast enough.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1235 posts
521 upvotes
Montreal, QC
vonblock wrote: You need to install the battery!

Had the same problem with the E4 of my wife. Don't worry, you're not the only who made this mistake!
Thanks. Installed. :-)
Sep 8, 2016
235 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Bought this phone last week, and the display is having an issue where the standard colour mode is having banding issues on particular shades of blue. The issue is less prominent in the Vibrant Colour mode. Is anyone else experiencing this with their Moto 5 phone?
Images
  • band.PNG
Apr 4, 2017
258 posts
379 upvotes
Internet
ES_Revenge wrote: Still don't get how it's an upgrade (other than Android version) over the G3. G3 has a way better screen, faster CPU, and more RAM.

If you're telling me there's "ZERO" difference between an 821 and a 625, that's one thing, because they're actually not that far apart, other than the GPU being stronger in the 821. But the G5 doesn't even have a 625...it has a 430! Much slower clock speed, slower RAM (and less of it on most phones that tend to use it), albeit a GPU that's not much different than the 625. A 430 compared to the other two should definitely have some noticeable difference. If it doesn't, then the "high-end" phones out there are simply not fast enough.
On the following video we can witness a small difference between Moto G5 (Snapdragon 430, 2 Gb Ram) and G5 plus (Snapdragon 625, 3Gb Ram)

On the other hand Moto G5 looks quit impressive vs iPhone 7

Sep 21, 2005
975 posts
41 upvotes
TORONTO
what are the possibilities of testing this phone and being able to return it?

I bought a similar Motorola Moto E4 on Amazon for $125 + tax. For $15 more this looks like the better deal, if I can find it in the GTA and potentially test it.

Anyone use both the Moto G5 and E4 to compare?

Side note, anyone know if I can return an open phone to Amazon (sold by 3rd party and fulfilled by Amazon.ca)?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2866 posts
4103 upvotes
Toronto
reggielist wrote: AAAAAAAAAAARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Jesus Murphy. Sorry folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The phone "I bought today" was for my girlfriend and she opened the box and set it up after I told her it had to be initially charged!!!!!!!!
<CHOKE> I will go <CHOKE> install the battery <CHOKE> now.

ARRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Don't feel bad. I remember when I was a kid my dad calling the TV repairman - yes, they used to have those - because the set wouldn't turn on. The guy looked behind the set, plugged it in and wrote my dad a bill. He was so embarrassed he paid it :-)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
chenj16 wrote: 2GB ram in 2018, I would avoid
That's great.

Please provide details on where to buy an alternative phone from a reputable manufacturer with more than 2GB's of RAM for under $139.

The only thing that even comes close is the ZTE Axon 7 Mini, which although has some superior hardware features, is sorely lacking on the software & firmware side.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2002 posts
1465 upvotes
Considering to get this for my kid (if I can find stock). Are there cheap providers (like Koodoo etc) with whom this phone will not work or will have a very limited coverage?

Thanks!
Nov 15, 2016
307 posts
116 upvotes
QC
chenj16 wrote: 2GB ram in 2018, I would avoid
Bet your the type of dude who has a 60$ + bill a month and has no choice to pay said bill when he's on vacay. 2gb is more then enough. Especially when the phone has a background window process limit in the dev options
Images
  • Screenshot_20180226-162946.png
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
ES_Revenge wrote: Still don't get how it's an upgrade (other than Android version) over the G3. G3 has a way better screen, faster CPU, and more RAM.

Dude,

Unless you're playing video game, this CPU is enough. Oh no this chrome page load 0.8 second slower!

It's like putting an i3 in a PC instead of an i7. Of course the i7 will be faster but really, the faster CPU will just be really useful for specific software.
Feb 4, 2004
227 posts
26 upvotes
Pickering
Woah! wrote: That's great.

Please provide details on where to buy an alternative phone from a reputable manufacturer with more than 2GB's of RAM for under $139.

The only thing that even comes close is the ZTE Axon 7 Mini, which although has some superior hardware features, is sorely lacking on the software & firmware side.
I did have one of these on order from the last sale, but it never came. I instead went on Kijiji and bought a new LG G4 from a Zoomer subscriber who didn't want theirs for $160. I would say it's on par with the Moto G5 or even a little better.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10497 posts
7631 upvotes
ON
tomlum wrote: I did have one of these on order from the last sale, but it never came. I instead went on Kijiji and bought a new LG G4 from a Zoomer subscriber who didn't want theirs for $160. I would say it's on par with the Moto G5 or even a little better.
How many did he have for sale ? You should post it in hot deals ...
Oct 15, 2014
647 posts
798 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
toronto_slim wrote: Don't feel bad. I remember when I was a kid my dad calling the TV repairman - yes, they used to have those - because the set wouldn't turn on. The guy looked behind the set, plugged it in and wrote my dad a bill. He was so embarrassed he paid it :-)
Ah yes. An instructor on my Electronics Service Technician program told us about plugging in a customer's TV, and charging $10 for "Connecting TV's primary electricity source," or some such.

I was working as a computer technician for a now defunct electronics and and appliance chain, when a customer came in with a printer. She told me "All we did was move it 3' to the right, and it stopped working." I told her "Did you bring the power cord, I can can't do anything without the power cord" since every printer has a different type of power cord. She said "Power cord? Never mind," turned around, and walked out.