Site Comments & Suggestions

PC Optimum - After the Merger

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2018 2:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16740 posts
14088 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

PC Optimum - After the Merger

Hi Mods,

No doubt you all know that we have a HUGE Topic running on the SHOPPING DISCUSSION FORUM regarding the recent SDM Optimum & PC Plus Programs Merger. As a “Points hound” I studied the Merger Plans before the Big Day... and have spent the last 4 days answering Questions in that topic (including a 36 Hour Session straight thru from January 31st into February 1st).

I believe the current topic still works well for those posting questions about how to merge their accounts, get a new PC Optimum Card etc... but I see a few distinct issues which are not easily resolved... because quite frankly PC Optimum did not plan for them in advance, or have just left their Customers hanging without necessary info.

First and foremost in this lot is the PC Mastercard holders... they have had a terrible time getting their PC Optimum Points Cards up and running due to what appears to be multi layer linkages.

These folks need a topic where they can talk amongst themselves on what works & does not for them. Where they can compare notes.

I am proposing...

That although it could be categorized as a PERSONAL FINANCE TOPIC ... we set it up in the SHOPPING DISCUSSION FORUM for easy access & visibilty ... and also cause it relates more to Shopping & Loyalty Programs than it does to PERSONAL FINANCES

My proposed title is
PC OPTIMUM Merger —-> TOPIC ONLY for PC MC Linkage Issues

Let me know what you all think
Thanks
12 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
20122 posts
7543 upvotes
Toronto
I'd be in favour of almost closing the existing thread and opening a new one.

The OP is trying to keep things up to date on the first page but the problem is that, it was originally a discussion about the change over, from rumours to the days up to it happening.

Now that it's happened, hundreds of replies have taken place and all the information is useless.
Only the last pages are now relevant to any discussion whatsoever.

Since this is a new program and we turned over a new leaf just last week, I'd like to see this existing thread closed. It would serve the site so much better, especially since people are now having problems setting up their account.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 25, 2005
9235 posts
7596 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I agree. Close the existing thread and open a new one in Shopping Discussion.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16740 posts
14088 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ok... but that is NOT MY ISSUE

I hear you guys... but you all have no doubt by now made the transition (as I recall) and are all set to go turn a new leaf AFTER the merger

My issue was quite specific... helping those with PC MCs who are STILL TRYING to get up & running with the rollover
.
.
.
BTW... I am not opposed at all to a NEW Topic about the ins & outs of the NEW PC OPTIMUM Program, I think it an extremely good idea ... but someone has to TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY to BOTH start it & maintain it

With the Mods blessing

It is a HUGE Job. I have already done my bit during the Merger Process... that WAS ALL I was prepared to commit to, and had this discussion already with several Mods.

I have already taken on a major commitment for 2018 with the SHOPPING DISCUSSION AirMiles thread... that is enough for me.

Until someone steps up... I think we have what we have with the current PC OPTIMUM Thread

Easy to make suggestions... usually a whole other can of worms to take on the task successfully.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
20122 posts
7543 upvotes
Toronto
Won't are merger issues go away in a month? We hope, it won't be forever.

So ... a good thread with a month expiry date?

I'm not for or against here, I'm just summarizing what I see.

It would help, but then still, the old thread would be in this weird place.

I love Shoppers discussions and I'm known for them around here but I'm not really getting involved because it's too time consuming and quite frankly, I'm an expert on a lot of things but I'm not an expert on this. I'm just reading and finding out like everyone else and try to help where I see I can.

I don't think any 1 user has to take on everyone's issues. Hopefully the RFD crowd helps one another.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
35200 posts
4330 upvotes
Winnipeg
is there still merger issue? i thought those were resolved.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
20122 posts
7543 upvotes
Toronto
It's more navigating the offers ...
Different ways of running the same app sorta, so everyone is comparing notes it seems like.
RedFlagDeals Addict
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16740 posts
14088 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
divx wrote: is there still merger issue? i thought those were resolved.
The PC MC holders and some of the folks with the App still have issues.

The App ones are beginning to get resolved by PC Optimum

But the PC MC people have many many issues... all to do with various types of linkages & scenarios cause of the reorg with the PC Financial network (happened Nov 1st)... now you add in the NEW PC Optimum Program (merger) and a good many of them are having HUGE Problems getting up and running... more so if they’ve gone the App route as well

I just think they’d be better served if there was one thread where they could all find each other & connect
(At 350+ pages... I am gong to say I am one of the few who has actually read thru all the posts in the Merger topic)

It’s a lot to expect each of them to do it as well.

I see this as a short term topic... think them working together will go a long way in getting things fixed both for themselves and with PC Optimum
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16740 posts
14088 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
DaVibe wrote: Won't are merger issues go away in a month? We hope, it won't be forever.

So ... a good thread with a month expiry date?

I'm not for or against here, I'm just summarizing what I see.

It would help, but then still, the old thread would be in this weird place.

I love Shoppers discussions and I'm known for them around here but I'm not really getting involved because it's too time consuming and quite frankly, I'm an expert on a lot of things but I'm not an expert on this. I'm just reading and finding out like everyone else and try to help where I see I can.

I don't think any 1 user has to take on everyone's issues. Hopefully the RFD crowd helps one another.
Agreed

But when a User CREATES a thread, there is an expectation that they will return to it to reply to those who comment

Or at least provide an UPDATE

This is amplified when it’s going to be a long running post... either in volume or timeframe

That is the biggest issue to creating a NEW PC Optimum post going forward

Someone started a NEW topic today in the SHOPPING DISCUSSION FORUM today to talk about weekly offers (or what one would call the regular ongoing thread) and it was promptly shut down... and the poster referred to the Merger Topic

I think AFTER THE MERGER there needs to be a NEW Topic to just discuss the PC Optimum Program and its offerings... but I agree with the Mods on that front... I don’t think we are there yet, as the Program has not NORMALIZED YET

And again... it needs someone willing to take on the task of creating and maintaining the OPENING POST
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22699 posts
17727 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote: But when a User CREATES a thread, there is an expectation that they will return to it to reply to those who comment

Or at least provide an UPDATE

This is amplified when it’s going to be a long running post... either in volume or timeframe
Alas that seems not to happen in all too many cases. In part it may be that the original poster doesn't realize how popular their thread will become.

I've seen lengthy threads where someone starts a topic and never participates again, even despite requests by those posting in the thread to get the title or some other important information updated. (Here's a recent example: Quicken Premier 5 year - Free. The deal is now dead, but it sure would have been helpful if the thread title mentioned it was for the US version that won't work in Canada.)

I suspect that's why the new RFD forums added a "Thread Summary" section between the first and second posts. This lets the community add/update information. But of course it doesn't allow for changes to the thread title or the OP.

Perhaps a partial solution would be to have some way for a moderator to transfer "ownership" of a thread and the first post from one user to another who's prepared to play nanny. Of course that would require the consent of both posters. I have no idea if this is (a) technically feasible with phpBB software or (b) if moderators will want to add this function to their list of responsibilities.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
20122 posts
7543 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Agreed

But when a User CREATES a thread, there is an expectation that they will return to it to reply to those who comment

Or at least provide an UPDATE

This is amplified when it’s going to be a long running post... either in volume or timeframe

That is the biggest issue to creating a NEW PC Optimum post going forward

Someone started a NEW topic today in the SHOPPING DISCUSSION FORUM today to talk about weekly offers (or what one would call the regular ongoing thread) and it was promptly shut down... and the poster referred to the Merger Topic

I think AFTER THE MERGER there needs to be a NEW Topic to just discuss the PC Optimum Program and its offerings... but I agree with the Mods on that front... I don’t think we are there yet, as the Program has not NORMALIZED YET

And again... it needs someone willing to take on the task of creating and maintaining the OPENING POST
I agree, once the dust settles, hopefully someone can just start a new thread and we close that one.
Like I said above, all of the information is really not relevant, going forward.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4204 posts
834 upvotes
Richmond
I'm still around. I've been updating the opening post to reflect PC Optimum. I could do with some help maintaining or starting a new thread. It's a new program but seems to be based mostly on pc plus program. If you've been tracking the optimum program, shoppers has been slowly training people to get used to doing things the pc plus way. i.e downloading the app, loading offers. Going full on digital and loading offers online. Shoppers optimum only people aren't used to loading offers. Or used to offline systems and doing a points inquiry for points not gotten apparently.

Yawn. Bed time I added in points from the faq that seemed to be relevant and frequently asked.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16740 posts
14088 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bluebellrose wrote: I'm still around. I've been updating the opening post to reflect PC Optimum. I could do with some help maintaining or starting a new thread. It's a new program but seems to be based mostly on pc plus program. If you've been tracking the optimum program, shoppers has been slowly training people to get used to doing things the pc plus way. i.e downloading the app, loading offers. Going full on digital and loading offers online. Shoppers optimum only people aren't used to loading offers. Or used to offline systems and doing a points inquiry for points not gotten apparently.

Yawn. Bed time I added in points from the faq that seemed to be relevant and frequently asked.
Just want to say you have been doing an AWESOME job during all this ... it has been one crazy ride.

PS ... send me a PM and we’ll talk about setting up a NEW Topic after the dust settles from the Merger. I could certainly see a few of us regulars working as a team to make a long term ongoing topic work going forward (besides myself, I think some of the other folks here have volunteered to help out too... by checking in / posting often... if I read things correctly)

Top