Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread 2020

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 5:58 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20666 posts
14492 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pointers wrote: 6. YMMV, but mine below 5K seem to be resolve within 20-30 minutes.
Great post about doing points inquiries one at a time.

Another data point. This morning I did my usual grocery run to Superstore. At checkout I did a bunch of PMs but completely forgot to scan the 5,000 pts for $20 spend coupon. When I got home and remembered, I did a points inquiry (using the app) asking for the 5,000 pts on the basis that the scan never went through (of course it didn't--I forgot to get the cashier to do it ;).) A few minutes later I got an email that my request had been fulfilled. So even 5,000 seems to be in the threshold for automatic responses.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1211 posts
1089 upvotes
That’s why you don’t get it. It’s ok.



Hint: search rotate in this thread. Probably they’re fixing this now.
rdiamond1 wrote: I don't get this.

What is the purpose of going into and out of a household ?

The Household feature is a way of sharing a point pool and offers-usually from persons in the same house that are using the same groceries and household items.

Does it shake up the Shoppers Offers ? like change one from 20 X on $ 50 to 10,000 points on 30 $ ?
Or is the grocery offers that one is trying to get from another account ?
Do you go into and out of the Household with your significant other ? or do you need to build an alternate account ?

I see many benefits of creating a Household and just staying there - we have been in one since the start of the program.
I personally love it - see it as being one of the best parts of the program. But I know I am in the minority here - and most do not use it at all.

But there seems to be another group that use it for something different- which I don't understand. Do you join a Household and leave it an hour later ? and then join again ? For what benefit ?
Do the offers change to generic offers ? and then you have to build your history up again ?

Someone mentioned a while back that the Household feature was difficult to control for security. Maybe Loblaw's is putting IT controls in place to make it less of a problem.

On creating a Household - I believe @PointsHubby had some of the best advice and that was to try the web platform if the app was not working.
Jr. Member
Oct 5, 2016
159 posts
93 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Did you phone to find out why?
I called. One account got unlocked right away. two account got told to wait for investigation. and one account the csr told me to read term and conditions on pc optimum page and will be permanently blocked. It's YMMV, even though it's four different people in the family, it depends on which CSR picked up the phone, and what they have in their mind at the moment. I guess if they suspect two accounts are operated by one person, they will block one or both permanently, and you can't even argue with them.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1237 posts
978 upvotes
Halifax
naticom wrote: That’s why you don’t get it. It’s ok.



Hint: search rotate in this thread. Probably they’re fixing this now.
I am a looser - this explains nothing to me in a logical way.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1455 posts
1204 upvotes
Winnipeg
rdiamond1 wrote: What is the purpose of going into and out of a household ?
People who did it reported they would eventually get a 20x offer, which they would then use on days with another promo (e.g., friends and family 20% off) so the two promos would stack.

I'm pretty sure some RFDers have reported that the 'household trick' no longer works. (I've never tried it so I can't confirm either way.)
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14481 posts
11686 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote: @mzmoney Yikes is right.

It's risky clicking on links in texts and emails.
It's dangerous to enter an account number.
But it's downright reckless and/or idiotic to enter login details (which presumably include the password.)

If you've legitimately won something the prize is still going to be there when you call PCO's number directly or send them an email using the address from their website rather than through a text or email.

It's 2020. How can anyone not know this today?


Why? From what the CBC article says, Loblaw did nothing wrong. Their customer did.

P.S. I wonder if the customer's account was secured using 2-factor authentication. If not then there's yet another reason for Loblaw to tell him to pound sand.
Agreed

I think it’s the TIMING OF THE WHOLE FIASCO that makes Loblaws want to get involved
(Plus, it’s there program to protect, maintain Customer confidence / loyalty in)

Seems to me the scammers, crooks, thieves (hackers ? )

Did in someway utilize the concurrently running TOP PICKS PROMO to their advantage to dupe these PCO Members
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1237 posts
978 upvotes
Halifax
Kelly M wrote: People who did it reported they would eventually get a 20x offer, which they would then use on days with another promo (e.g., friends and family 20% off) so the two promos would stack.

I'm pretty sure some RFDers have reported that the 'household trick' no longer works. (I've never tried it so I can't confirm either way.)
Thank you Kelly !

It is not the purpose of the Household.

I would rather Loblaw's shut the "Trick" down than Shut the "Household Program " down.

On another note : Is it not great that you can actually "say" what you think on RFD - without thinking of the ramification of DOWN votes. I mean within reason. But even knowing something is not going to be popular.

I like it.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1455 posts
1204 upvotes
Winnipeg
rdiamond1 wrote: Thank you Kelly !

It is not the purpose of the Household.

I would rather Loblaw's shut the "Trick" down than Shut the "Household Program " down.

On another note : Is it not great that you can actually "say" what you think on RFD - without thinking of the ramification of DOWN votes. I mean within reason. But even knowing something is not going to be popular.

I like it.
You're very welcome @rdiamond1 !

BTW...I see you take the time to share ideas and answer people's questions all the time, and I can't imagine anyone would be too harsh with you, no matter what opinion you expressed:-)
Newbie
May 27, 2016
80 posts
52 upvotes
BC
minimalist wrote: Please refresh my memory:

We cannot earn/redeem PCO pts at Wholesale Club, correct?

In BC, maybe ON too, we can redeem but not earn.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14481 posts
11686 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
minimalist wrote: Please refresh my memory:

We cannot earn/redeem PCO pts at Wholesale Club, correct?
I don’t think so ... but cannot find definitive info on line
Truthfully ... there’s not a lot of info period online about the PC+ Wholesale Club

I will tag @bluebellrose (my Cohost on this thread)
Cuz I know she has shopped there in the past ... where I have not
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14481 posts
11686 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
@rdiamond1

RE - MISSING POINTS

I agree with @pointers, I also submit my inquiries all separately
Plus I use the fields for details

EXAMPLE:

Missing Points Amount = 6000

Other Details = 3000 Points for PC Great Canadian Coffee Pods
2 Purchased = 3000 x 2 = 6000 MISSING POINTS

Very clear. No confusion.
And ya, I am not beyond submitting them one at a time ...
Submit, get a reply.
Submit another one.

This also means your chances of getting a different CSRep increases as well.
Maybe even on a different shift / day

And lowers your chances of running into any MAXIMUMS for claims or approvals
Last edited by PointsHubby on Sep 20th, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2006
3227 posts
1031 upvotes
Ontario
eklips wrote: In BC, maybe ON too, we can redeem but not earn.
Wow, that's cool. Will have to try to redeem in ON. Had no issues using PC GC last time at WC.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.9%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14481 posts
11686 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
linovera wrote: I called. One account got unlocked right away. two account got told to wait for investigation. and one account the csr told me to read term and conditions on pc optimum page and will be permanently blocked. It's YMMV, even though it's four different people in the family, it depends on which CSR picked up the phone, and what they have in their mind at the moment. I guess if they suspect two accounts are operated by one person, they will block one or both permanently, and you can't even argue with them.
They are definitely cracking down on scammers ...
And having multiple accounts is one way to scam the system
And ... AGAINST THE PCO T&Cs ... of one PC ID per person
ONE IRL PERSON (Real Name) = 1 PC ID = 1 Email Address

If they suspect you’ve broken this rule ...
They can lock your accounts ... and CONFISCATE ALL POINTS
And TERMINATE any & all participation in the PCO Program

It’s happened to at least one other RFDer

If each account holder CAN PROVE they are indeed different people
Then they’ll reverse the process
But it’s up to you to prove it
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14481 posts
11686 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
naticom wrote: That’s why you don’t get it. It’s ok.

Hint: search rotate in this thread. Probably they’re fixing this now.
rdiamond1 wrote: I am a looser - this explains nothing to me in a logical way.
Kelly M wrote: People who did it reported they would eventually get a 20x offer, which they would then use on days with another promo (e.g., friends and family 20% off) so the two promos would stack.

I'm pretty sure some RFDers have reported that the 'household trick' no longer works. (I've never tried it so I can't confirm either way.)
rdiamond1 wrote: Thank you Kelly !

It is not the purpose of the Household.

I would rather Loblaw's shut the "Trick" down than Shut the "Household Program " down.

On another note : Is it not great that you can actually "say" what you think on RFD - without thinking of the ramification of DOWN votes. I mean within reason. But even knowing something is not going to be popular.

I like it.
RE - ROTATING HOUSEHOLDS

It’s BEEN USED in the past as a way to manipulate the offers as outlined by @Kelly M in Reply # 2015

It’s a bit of a loophole ... that I think PCO Plugged cuz Households is also one of the main access points for the hackers, scammers & thieves

If PCO sees a lot of action on Households, they now just FREEZE an account and investigate further

Makes sense

And you are right ... was never the way Households were meant to be used. So makes sense they’ve stopped it.

And ya I don’t get the attitude expressed by @naticom
Including the ambiguity... other than THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE ATTEMPTING ISNT REALLY PCO KOSHER
(Trying to game the system)

And ... if they are doing all this while having multiple PCO Accounts (see my Reply # 2023 on that)

Then eventually PCO will catch up with them ...
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1211 posts
1089 upvotes
I don’t want to promote shady behavior, that’s why I told the person to search for certain keyword.
If he/she is further interested, he/she will figure it out.
PointsHubby wrote: RE - ROTATING HOUSEHOLDS

It’s BEEN USED in the past as a way to manipulate the offers as outlined by @Kelly M in Reply # 2015

It’s a bit of a loophole ... that I think PCO Plugged cuz Households is also one of the main access points for the hackers, scammers & thieves

If PCO sees a lot of action on Households, they now just FREEZE an account and investigate further

Makes sense

And you are right ... was never the way Households were meant to be used. So makes sense they’ve stopped it.

And ya I don’t get the attitude expressed by @naticom
Including the ambiguity... other than THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE ATTEMPTING ISNT REALLY PCO KOSHER
(Trying to game the system)

And ... if they are doing all this while having multiple PCO Accounts (see my Reply # 2023 on that)

Then eventually PCO will catch up with them ...

Top