Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
Jul 10, 2008
744 posts
135 upvotes
Jungle wrote: More negative press in media today. People missing points, bad offers on things you don't buy, 1+ hour wait on phone, no responses, etc:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaws ... -1.4556211

The roll out of this has been very amateur. Most were expecting better form a 25 billion dollar company.
Not mentioned in the article but I did a physical card exchange at SDM and the points never showed up on the new card. They cant blame me for whatever went wrong.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
Frank510 wrote: If you read the fine print (note 9) it’s 3% with the WEMC and 1.5% regular points for a total of 4.5%
... and how many % Shopper's chit is over-priced by in general?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
greenman456 wrote: Not mentioned in the article but I did a physical card exchange at SDM and the points never showed up on the new card. They cant blame me for whatever went wrong.
I assume you have already done this... seeing as you here on the Internet posting these comments.. but I mention it any how (cause some folks were not aware)

After getting your old card swapped out at SDM for the NEW PCO Card...

You then went online (via the pcoptimum.ca website) and then activated / linked it all together.

Cause evidently some folks have not done that... and just assumed that the swap out was enough.

With the PCO Program you have to actually go to the website, to make everything come together / offers download / activate etc

If one never checks in.. then stuff is just waiting in limbo

I have been surprised by the number of folks who swapped their cards, but then never have been to the website... seems to be more prevelant amongst OLD SDM Optimum Users, as many of them never went to the SDM Optimum Website, they just dealt with their card, the instore Offers, and maybe the Weekly SDM Emails, where they could click to activate, without ever logging into their accounts

Whereas OLD PC Plus users were very familiar with logging into their accounts weekly to see their offers... as that was the way it was since Day 1 when the PC Plus Program rolled out years ago
Last edited by PointsHubby on Mar 4th, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
greenman456 wrote: Not mentioned in the article but I did a physical card exchange at SDM and the points never showed up on the new card. They cant blame me for whatever went wrong.
yeahbut I bet you were out there first day :D

Next time sit back and let others be the beta testers.
Dec 27, 2016
733 posts
1087 upvotes
Canada
Darkman wrote: ... and how many % Shopper's chit is over-priced by in general?
Why does everyone have to hate on SDM for being overpriced? This is RFD. I (and any true RFD’er) don’t shop there willy nilly. I read all the flyers and know my prices. I don’t buy at SDM (or Zehrs etc) unless it makes sense for value, either base price or factoring in PCO points. I don’t get why everyone has to point out that SDM is overpriced. So is Zehrs and Loblaws compared to No Frills. Personally I only shop wherever I get the best value which usually means only shopping at SDM on 20x days.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6052 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
Darkman wrote: ... and how many % Shopper's chit is over-priced by in general?
Overpriced? I've saved so much money shopping at SDM. You just have to look for the sales and bonus points.

3% from the WE card
1.5% from SDM base points
Bonus points from offers
Sale price

All that together combines to incredible savings.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Jul 10, 2008
744 posts
135 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: I assume you have already done this... seeing as you here on the Internet posting these comments.. but I mention it any how (cause some folks were not aware)

You then went online (via the pcoptimum.ca website) and then activated / linked it all together.
I had the new card registered the same day I got it and logged on with it. I could see the old PC Plus card already linked on the website which what is supposed to happen when doing a physical card exchange. The account is working but missing the points from the old card.
lecale wrote: yeahbut I bet you were out there first day :D

Next time sit back and let others be the beta testers.
I did it on the 4th day after the switch over. Not sure why you are blaming the victim.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4781 posts
1324 upvotes
Richmond
PointsHubby wrote: I assume you have already done this... seeing as you here on the Internet posting these comments.. but I mention it any how (cause some folks were not aware)

Cause evidently some folks have not done that... and just assumed that the swap out was enough.

With the PCO Program you have to actually go to the website, to make everything come together / offers download / activate etc

If one never checks in.. then stuff is just waiting in limbo

I have been surprised by the number of folks who swapped their cards, but then never have been to the website... seems to be more prevelant amongst OLD SDM Optimum Users, as many of them never went to the SDM Optimum Website, they just dealt with their card, the instore Offers, and maybe the Weekly SDM Emails, where they could click to activate, without ever logging into their accounts

Whereas OLD PC Plus users were very familiar with logging into their accounts weekly to see their offers... as that was the way it was since Day 1 when the PC Plus Program rolled out years ago
This is not helped by the fact that some shoppers employees are deliberately spreading false information. I've witnessed them telling people their card is already registered and they don't need to do anything. Other people have reported the same. One lady reported that the lady in front of her asked if she needed to do anything after the swap out. She was told oh you don't need to do anything, the card is already registered.

The poor cashier at any of the original pc plus stores now have to tell the customer that they need to go online and register and inform of them everything and tell them to disregard what the shoppers employee told them and educate them all over again.
greenman456 wrote: I had the new card registered the same day I got it and logged on with it. I could see the old PC Plus card already linked on the website which what is supposed to happen when doing a physical card exchange. The account is working but missing the points from the old card.

I did it on the 4th day after the switch over. Not sure why you are blaming the victim.
Seems like the shoppers employee made a boo boo during your swap over. They may have missed a step or two and that resulted in the points not being transfered over. I guess you'll need to call them and be prepared for a long wait on the phone
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3945 posts
2931 upvotes
Markham
MayorOfToronto wrote: Overpriced? I've saved so much money shopping at SDM. You just have to look for the sales and bonus points.

3% from the WE card
Bonus points from offers
Sale price

Incredible savings is quite a bit of exaggeration. If u shop diligently at SDM, you may end up better off by 10-15% compared to shopping to shopping at NF or Walmart. 20x is 30% off the sdm price, but that price usually 10-20% higher even when on sale.
Sep 6, 2009
704 posts
310 upvotes
Obi Wan wrote: I noticed that I don't get credited for PCO points with my loblaws/RCSS/No Frills purchases, even though the transactions show up in my account, but I immediately get credited PCO points for my SDM purchases. Does anyone else have this problem?
Yes. I see this. Same with Zehrs. Not sure if this will show up later or it's missing.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: Overpriced? I've saved so much money shopping at SDM. You just have to look for the sales and bonus points.

3% from the WE card

Bonus points from offers
Sale price

I wasn't talking bonus points and offers (those, btw, rocked in the past ... and quite a bit de-valued after PC Optimum kicked in) ... I was only referring to 4.5% savings ...

You get 3% savings at Superstore ... and the difference 1.5% (again, not counting bonus offers) ... doesn't make up for convenience store prices vs. Superstore prices.

Lately I only buy milk at shoppers seemingly with 20X :)

The Good ol' Shoppers days now gone forever ...

And of course I am RFD'er and Shop everywhere where it's cheaper ... or who competitor price match at the same time :)

Was just sayin' :)
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
wongmb wrote: Incredible savings is quite a bit of exaggeration. If u shop diligently at SDM, you may end up better off by 10-15% compared to shopping to shopping at NF or Walmart. 20x is 30% off the sdm price, but that price usually 10-20% higher even when on sale.
Do you have actual data to support your suggestion that 15-20% is about the most even a diligent shopper can save? And why are you trying to support this by assuming even diligent shoppers will pay more for an item at SDM in order to get points? That doesn't seem very diligent to me, and it's not how I shop there.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
I know SDM does not round up a few cents before the merge. Will SDM continue this practice after the merge?
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6052 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
double post
Last edited by MayorOfToronto on Mar 5th, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6052 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
wongmb wrote: Incredible savings is quite a bit of exaggeration. If u shop diligently at SDM, you may end up better off by 10-15% compared to shopping to shopping at NF or Walmart. 20x is 30% off the sdm price, but that price usually 10-20% higher even when on sale.
Wrong. 9.99/10 you will come ahead when combining 3% WE + 1.5% base + bonus points + sale price

For example: deodorant that typically costs $4 at Walmart might be $4.20 at SDM. Even without any of the sale or bonus offers you end up at nearly identical price points simply using your WE card + 1.5% base.

Now when that deodorant is on sale or offers bonus points (or both) you come out way ahead.

I've saved a lot of money shopping sales at SDM from personal care items to drinks to chips and other snacks to medicine to pretty much everything they sell.

Walmart = price

SDM = same or cheaper sales price + 3% + 1.5% + bonus points

I'll leave the math up to you.

Darkman wrote: I wasn't talking bonus points and offers (those, btw, rocked in the past ... and quite a bit de-valued after PC Optimum kicked in) ... I was only referring to 4.5% savings ...

You get 3% savings at Superstore ... and the difference 1.5% (again, not counting bonus offers) ... doesn't make up for convenience store prices vs. Superstore prices.

Lately I only buy milk at shoppers seemingly with 20X :)

The Good ol' Shoppers days now gone forever ...

And of course I am RFD'er and Shop everywhere where it's cheaper ... or who competitor price match at the same time :)

Was just sayin' :)
Convenience stores are not cheaper than SDM especially after adding in all the extras you get with SDM.

Superstore is a different story. But depending on what you want you can definitely find things cheaper at SDM (usually sale items)
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3945 posts
2931 upvotes
Markham
Jonric wrote: Do you have actual data to support your suggestion that 15-20% is about the most even a diligent shopper can save? And why are you trying to support this by assuming even diligent shoppers will pay more for an item at SDM in order to get points? That doesn't seem very diligent to me, and it's not how I shop there.
If you only focus on milk, egg, wonder bread, then yes you save 30%. But in order to get to 20X points, u usually have to spend at least $20-$30 (this wkend was $50.) The other stuff that you pick up to get to the min spend are most likely higher price than somewhere else (comparing sale price to sale price). Net Net your sale is not as high as the 30% you get back in points.

Use the past wkend as an example, say you pick up milk, egg, wonder bread, thats about $8 worth that are definitely a bargain. The other $42 worth of stuff that you may need and can pick up from there, chances are you find a cheaper price elsewhere. If anything, those who buys cosmetics from SDM will indeed comes up ahead as it easily meets the min spend requirement and cosmetics are pretty standard price everywhere.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3945 posts
2931 upvotes
Markham
MayorOfToronto wrote: Wrong. 9.99/10 you will come ahead when combining 3% WE + 1.5% base + bonus points + sale price
I never said you wont come out ahead. I am saying its not as high as 30% (under the 20X promotion) esp if you need to get other stuff to make the min spend requirement.

Yes I buy my milk from there with 20X and charge to 3% WE, so I am indeed saving 30%+ on $4....
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
3447 posts
894 upvotes
Jonric wrote: Shoppers' selection of laptops and tablets is pretty low-end so if you're looking for better than that, you should probably look elsewhere.

If you redeem points using a 20x "when you spend" (aka WUS), Shoppers has historically given points on the post-redemption amount. So for example, if you spend $200 and redeem $50 in points toward the total, you can expect to receive 20x points on $150, not $200.

One thing to keep in mind when you "just pop in to grab some household items" is that many items, even when they're on sale, are higher-priced than they are elsewhere. So for instance, you have to decide for yourself if and when it's worth it to pay somewhat more because you can use an offer that multiplies how many points you get.

You also have to decide if you consider points to be the same as a discount; e.g. paid $10 and got $2 worth of points means your net cost was $8. Or are those points a future discount, meaning you paid $10 and can get a $2 discount on a future purchase? These are not the same thing. In the former, the point value is mentally applied to the current purchase, which means that when you actually redeem those points, they're not free because you already accounted for the $2 value.

Personally, I regard points as future discounts, which makes it easy to avoid counting them twice. But if the other way fits better with how you think, that's fine too.
It’s easy to get awesome discounts on household items at shoppers, especially the 1 and 2 day sales. Of course you have to know your prices.
Commemorative loonie rolls, quarter rolls, 50 cent rolls all different kinds of rolls contact for details. Venetian glass bee $250 plus shipping. 20for20 canoe $30 shipped 20for20 polar bear $30 shipped. Lots of 5 packs loons, toons and quaters
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
3447 posts
894 upvotes
You obviously aren’t buying the right items. 1 and 2 day sales at shoppers are pretty good sometimes. I honestly get the biggest savings at Shoppers compared to any other grocer.
Commemorative loonie rolls, quarter rolls, 50 cent rolls all different kinds of rolls contact for details. Venetian glass bee $250 plus shipping. 20for20 canoe $30 shipped 20for20 polar bear $30 shipped. Lots of 5 packs loons, toons and quaters
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
wongmb wrote: If you only focus on milk, egg, wonder bread, then yes you save 30%. But in order to get to 20X points, u usually have to spend at least $20-$30 (this wkend was $50.) The other stuff that you pick up to get to the min spend are most likely higher price than somewhere else (comparing sale price to sale price). Net Net your sale is not as high as the 30% you get back in points.

Use the past wkend as an example, say you pick up milk, egg, wonder bread, thats about $8 worth that are definitely a bargain. The other $42 worth of stuff that you may need and can pick up from there, chances are you find a cheaper price elsewhere. If anything, those who buys cosmetics from SDM will indeed comes up ahead as it easily meets the min spend requirement and cosmetics are pretty standard price everywhere.
So is it accurate to think you don't have data and are generalizing from selected and/or anecdotal examples? Perhaps you should entertain the possibility that people who put more effort into working the PCO program are able to benefit more than you think.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)