Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum points question. What to use them on?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2021 1:00 pm
[OP]
Oct 22, 2020
60 posts
67 upvotes

PC Optimum points question. What to use them on?

I have 640k points but I really do not know how to make the most of them. I am in Vancouver.

I have seen some bonus redemption "sales" for Shoppers Drug Mart for some items. Some decent items this past black friday at SDM but nothing I really needed. I do love my electronics though!

I never say yes when they offer me 10$ off for each 1000 points when I am checking out at Superstore. That seems like a poor use haha

Just curious to see what "point veterans" like to use their points on :)

Thanks!
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20884 posts
19153 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Stiles23 wrote: I have 640k points but I really do not know how to make the most of them. I am in Vancouver.

I have seen some bonus redemption "sales" for Shoppers Drug Mart for some items. Some decent items this past black friday at SDM but nothing I really needed. I do love my electronics though!

I never say yes when they offer me 10$ off for each 1000 points when I am checking out at Superstore. That seems like a poor use haha

Thanks!
This has been asked & answered many times in the PCO Megathread

pc-optimum-discussion-thread-2021-2436833/

Here’s one example … start with this the original question and read the replies that came afterwards :

pc-optimum-discussion-thread-2021-2436833/52/#p34446474
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
6778 posts
6682 upvotes
Vancouver
Stiles23 wrote: I have 640k points but I really do not know how to make the most of them. I am in Vancouver.

Thanks!
Not surprising.. there's a huge thread here on using PC Optimum points..

Some people should just not be into the 'points game'.

Ron.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28460 posts
14028 upvotes
I kind of want a Switch OLED but I'm not even sure SDM even stocks them.
RCSS apparently does but not around black friday/xmas. (I mean they do, but unless I'm there at 3AM in a lineup I'm probably not getting one especially if there's a point deal)
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11926 posts
2904 upvotes
Durham Region
death_hawk wrote: I kind of want a Switch OLED but I'm not even sure SDM even stocks them.
RCSS apparently does but not around black friday/xmas. (I mean they do, but unless I'm there at 3AM in a lineup I'm probably not getting one especially if there's a point deal)
I've called many sdm stores near me, all out of stock but most said they do get them.

OP, I just redeemed and got 2 switches, one for me to mod and sell, one to sell.

I have 570,000pts left. Basically I just convert my points into cash once I reach 1,000,000pts
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
13821 posts
17942 upvotes
Vancouver

Thanks!
I just redeem for groceries, 1 point = 0.1¢
The only way to get more “value” from that is to spend it at SDM during a bonus redemption event and blow it on $300 worth of stuff all at once. But SDM has literally nothing I want. I don’t think I’ve spent $300 there in total in my life. So for me, redeeming it at SDM isn’t giving me better value at all.
Nov 8, 2007
515 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
Maybe I'll get a PS5 once the purchase frenzie calms down and the new system version is out.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4784 posts
3287 upvotes
Vancouver
Babbsy wrote: Maybe I'll get a PS5 once the purchase frenzie calms down and the new system version is out.
Might be a long wait given the chip shortage. It’s not really a purchase frenzie but rather a supply shortage for many items. It doesn’t look like the shortage is going to end until summer or later (next year). It’s possible a new console comes out before the shortage is over (of course in that case, the new console likely starts a new frenzie…).
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1220 posts
777 upvotes
London, On
A few years ago, I redeemed for groceries, and then bought an Ipad with the money I saved on groceries. It's a stupid psychological thing, but when I bought the groceries with points, I actually stopped at the ATM in the parking lot and took out the cash and once I actually had the cash for the Ipad, I bought it with my PC credit card, deposited the money back in the bank and paid the credit card balance. For whatever reason, it made it feel more like I was getting a "free" Ipad out of it, rather than just accounting in my head that I have saved hundreds of dollars in groceries the last 6 weeks and now I can buy my toy.

Do you get aches and pains in your joints or anything? During a bonus redemption weekend a few moths ago, I bought a Dr Ho TENS unit at Wellwise, cost me 26 buck in tax. My wife wanted new airpods, so I ordered those online and used points.

Now I'm looking at drones, so if I decide to get one, I'll likely do the grocery redemption thing again and use that money for the drone. Probably won't do the cash thing I did with the ipad though lol
Nov 8, 2007
515 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
Paigne wrote: Might be a long wait given the chip shortage. It’s not really a purchase frenzie but rather a supply shortage for many items. It doesn’t look like the shortage is going to end until summer or later (next year). It’s possible a new console comes out before the shortage is over (of course in that case, the new console likely starts a new frenzie…).
Perfect, I'll have accumulated more points and will be able to afford more games and or accessories.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
13821 posts
17942 upvotes
Vancouver
djeffery wrote: A few years ago, I redeemed for groceries, and then bought an Ipad with the money I saved on groceries. It's a stupid psychological thing, but when I bought the groceries with points, I actually stopped at the ATM in the parking lot and took out the cash and once I actually had the cash for the Ipad, I bought it with my PC credit card, deposited the money back in the bank and paid the credit card balance. For whatever reason, it made it feel more like I was getting a "free" Ipad out of it, rather than just accounting in my head that I have saved hundreds of dollars in groceries the last 6 weeks and now I can buy my toy.
It's definitely a thing that affects people in real ways. A while back someone posted asking which RCSS sells TVs because he wanted to redeem his points for one. It was suggested that he just redeem for groceries and use the money that he would have otherwise spent on groceries to buy the TV from wherever he wants. He wasn't having it. "But I don't want or need free groceries. I want a free TV." No matter how much it was explained to him that the math works out the same, he still wasn't having it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20884 posts
19153 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
djeffery wrote: A few years ago, I redeemed for groceries, and then bought an Ipad with the money I saved on groceries. It's a stupid psychological thing, but when I bought the groceries with points, I actually stopped at the ATM in the parking lot and took out the cash and once I actually had the cash for the Ipad, I bought it with my PC credit card, deposited the money back in the bank and paid the credit card balance. For whatever reason, it made it feel more like I was getting a "free" Ipad out of it, rather than just accounting in my head that I have saved hundreds of dollars in groceries the last 6 weeks and now I can buy my toy.

Do you get aches and pains in your joints or anything? During a bonus redemption weekend a few moths ago, I bought a Dr Ho TENS unit at Wellwise, cost me 26 buck in tax. My wife wanted new airpods, so I ordered those online and used points.

Now I'm looking at drones, so if I decide to get one, I'll likely do the grocery redemption thing again and use that money for the drone. Probably won't do the cash thing I did with the ipad though lol
Good post.
Kiraly wrote: It's definitely a thing that affects people in real ways. A while back someone posted asking which RCSS sells TVs because he wanted to redeem his points for one. It was suggested that he just redeem for groceries and use the money that he would have otherwise spent on groceries to buy the TV from wherever he wants. He wasn't having it. "But I don't want or need free groceries. I want a free TV." No matter how much it was explained to him that the math works out the same, he still wasn't having it.
Ya sadly lots of people don’t understand the basics of money management
I had a similar pointless discussion with someone on how ones income (money coming in) should be divided into 2 portions …
SPENDINGS & SAVINGS
And then both sides of those spreadsheet should have other sub categories
SPENDING = NEEDS & WANTS
SAVINGS = SHORT TERM & LONG TERM

And if one does an amazing job on the SPENDING side of responsible spending on NEEDS
One will have more money for WANTS
Or can transfer money back to the SAVINGS side of the spreadsheet

We were talking about GCs at the time
And how buying GCs on promotion (5% - 20% off face value)
Can be a smart strategy for saving substantial money on groceries
That then can be spent elsewhere in ones SPENDING columns where one has little or no control over costs (like Utilities )

They were having none of my common sense strategy

Just saying they thought GCs were a waste of money … they’d rather just SAVE the money entirely
Lol, not at all grasping the fact that they’d be buying groceries no matter what … spending the money anyhow
But saving $ 0

I think of this ridiculous argument everytime I buy / use a GC

Like this week …
Went into SOBEY’s.
Bought their GCs on current promo (100 AMs with $ 150 in GCs) … realized value about $ 12
Then I spent those GCs on groceries
And earned another 200 AMs total (5x AMs + Product Bonus) … all items on sale… realized value = $ 24

Result … Spent about $ 150 in groceries
Racked up $ 36 in AMs
That’s an overall save of over 20%
Not counting how much I saved as a strategic shopper who only buys items that are on sale vs regular price

I laugh all the way to the bank

Or more precisely to the beach … AirMiles continues to fund a whole lot of great vacations for us
Miles earned as an added bonus … without even trying … on stuff we would be spending our money on anyhow

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)