Computers & Electronics

PC program like iphone mail app?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2016 1:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto

PC program like iphone mail app?

Hi all, I basically want a PC program that works line my iphone mail app that can manage multiple accounts from different email providers. I have 11 different email addresses. Any ideas other than Firebird?
10 replies
Member
Apr 11, 2011
409 posts
129 upvotes
Memramcook
DIrty-D wrote: Hi all, I basically want a PC program that works line my iphone mail app that can manage multiple accounts from different email providers. I have 11 different email addresses. Any ideas other than Firebird?
Need info on computer and OS used?
Bob
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
Yes a PC with Windows 7. Is Outlook a downloadable program or is it web based?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
Outlook is available as a local program, but it's much more extensive than just email, which makes it a bit overkill to use as a simple mail program. Also it's a part of the paid MS Office package, not a free download.

Microsoft's free email solution for Win7 is Windows Live Mail (part of Windows Essentials), which was then replaced by a new Mail program for Win 8 and Win 10.

Email is one area where Microsoft just never got their act together. They keep changing strategy without providing a proper migration path, and their email programs have always been buggy. For example Outlook Express, their free solution up to WinXP, initially had a bug that it would corrupt its database and lose all your email if the system shut down while it was "compacting" its primitive database in the background. So Microsoft's solution in the next release was to make it freeze and pop up a foreground "compacting" notice for several minutes every 100 starts. Migrate to Outlook, you say? Sure, BTW all your archived messages will lose their address fields, but you didn't need those, right?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
5854 posts
2032 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Thunderbird, best there is. Easy email backup as well.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 14, 2007
2195 posts
478 upvotes
Red Deer
If by "iPhone Mail app" you mean a simple to use mail app with the option to have a unified inbox for multiple accounts then I'd stay away from Outlook. I got Office 2016 Professional Plus through my work's HUP on my home PC and Outlook 2016 does not support a unified inbox, which is mindboggling to me.

Surprisingly, Windows 10's built-in simple Mail app allows for linked inboxes like iOS mail app as well as Mac OSX' mail app. Maybe windows 7 has the same (?) or you could upgrade to W10 for free.
Member
Apr 27, 2007
226 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Rob76 wrote: If by "iPhone Mail app" you mean a simple to use mail app with the option to have a unified inbox for multiple accounts then I'd stay away from Outlook. I got Office 2016 Professional Plus through my work's HUP on my home PC and Outlook 2016 does not support a unified inbox, which is mindboggling to me.

Surprisingly, Windows 10's built-in simple Mail app allows for linked inboxes like iOS mail app as well as Mac OSX' mail app. Maybe windows 7 has the same (?) or you could upgrade to W10 for free.
I would hate unifying my mailboxes. In my opinion they are seperate for a reason. I would go thunderbird as a free one. I've used it and it works like a phone app (in the sense that you can have all your e-mail addresses in one application. (I'm unsure about unifying though)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 14, 2007
2195 posts
478 upvotes
Red Deer
unknown1 wrote: I would hate unifying my mailboxes. In my opinion they are seperate for a reason. I would go thunderbird as a free one. I've used it and it works like a phone app (in the sense that you can have all your e-mail addresses in one application. (I'm unsure about unifying though)
It's individual user preference for sure. I'm not saying that the accounts with all their mailboxes should be unified, just that users should be given the choice to unify certain mailboxes if they want to. For me, as I only have 3 accounts, I like a single inbox and a single sent mailbox (it makes life so much easier when looking up emails), with the option to view on the fly individual inboxes or sent mailboxes when I need to, which incidentally is what most mobile and desktop mail clients do. I just wish Outlook gave users the same option. I still can't believe that the most powerful mail client lacks this basic common feature. But at least there are some very good alternatives.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33721 posts
7359 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I would not like a unify inbox. It doesn't make sense to me, but neither does having multiple email addresses

If you really want a single inbox for all your various email accounts, you can accomplish this in Outlook with rules.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
5854 posts
2032 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Much easier with thunderbird.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309

Top