115 posts
4 upvotes

PC or Shoppers Mastercard?

What are the advantage(s) of each. Undecided about which one to get
10 replies
Feb 15, 2009
19 posts
Ottawa
We've had a PC MC for a few years. I LOVE the accumulated point system and it works for us. A definite perk is the variety of merchandise we've claimed. I usually wait until the end of the season to spend my points and so far my husband has gotten a bbq, myself lawn furniture, college kids rec'd kitchen / furniture items, younger kids have gotten electronic stuff.

Would SD offer the same spending options? I guess if you loved sd and were a loyal shopper, that might make a difference. Number of available locations of the store of your choice would be another consideration.

PC Customer service has always been pleasant, but their interest rate is crazy. Pay your balance on time or they bite!
Jul 15, 2003
523 posts
166 upvotes
Another difference is that PC Mastercard offers purchase assurance and extended warranty (free); it doesn't appear that the SDM Mastercard offers the same.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2029 upvotes
Nowhere
I've had a PC Mastercard for years and I have just applied for a SDM Mastercard for the $60 rebate and the $25 point sign up bonus. The PC MC will remain my main CC.

I'm not sure which gives you the biggest return, but I prefer PC points. Although I have done really well SDM Optimum points without having their MC, there is only so much I can buy at SDM especially in large amounts to get the full benefit of the points. I like PC points because I can redeem them any time at the register and I can get a wider range of goods with them. Since there is no benefit to redeeming at higher amounts, like with Optimum points, I don't have to wait to redeem. I can redeem $20 whenever I want and frequently do so when money is tight. I also like that I can redeem PC points for a wide variety of gift cards. SDM doesn't allow you to redeem for gift cards. I like the Loblaw group of stores and regularly shop at No Frills as it is right around the corner and generally the cheapest store, so redeeming is never a problem. With SDM Optimum points, I really have to plan to redeem them and I am running out of large ticket items to redeem for.

This weekend is an Optimum bonus weekend and I would love to use my points to do my Christmas shopping but I can't buy for most people there so I probably won't do a redemption. I would have no problem doing my Christmas shopping with my PC points, either at one of their stores or by getting GCs and shopping elsewhere.

You need to choose the card that offers rewards that you will use.
Jul 17, 2007
226 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
hungryfordeals wrote: Neither.
Correct answer if it would be their only credit card.
The main credit card should be Driver's Edge MC (if you change your car at least once every 5 years, 2% back) or Smart Cash (1% on everything, 3% on gas/grocery, 5% on gas/grocery for 6 months) or some other cards that give you by far more than the mentioned ones.
However, between the 2 mentioned cards, SDM looks much better (at least, in terms of cash back, not warranties, price protection etc.) PC gives ~1% back, correct? SDM card gives you 15 points per $1 (plus 10 points using Optimum card, but you can use Optimum card separately). 15 points can buy you from 2% (for redemptions of small amounts of points) to almost 4% (for SDM PLUS members at bonus events). Even if you buy items that are overpriced by 10-30% in Shoppers, still your rewards are in a range of 1.5%-3% back.
If you ask me, I would prefer to get $100 every 3 months (redeeming SDM points), rather than $20 every month redeeming PC points.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2006
1134 posts
29 upvotes
I've had PC for a few years now and I love it. Any big purchase we have (appliances, furniture, electronics, etc.) we put it on the PC then pay it all off. The amount of points I get are ridiculous.

FREE GROCERIES FTW!!! :D
Jul 15, 2003
523 posts
166 upvotes
Almost, except it is 5 pts per $1 when spent anywhere but SDM (in which case it is 15 pts per $1).

danibelo wrote: Correct answer if it would be their only credit card.
The main credit card should be Driver's Edge MC (if you change your car at least once every 5 years, 2% back) or Smart Cash (1% on everything, 3% on gas/grocery, 5% on gas/grocery for 6 months) or some other cards that give you by far more than the mentioned ones.
However, between the 2 mentioned cards, SDM looks much better (at least, in terms of cash back, not warranties, price protection etc.) PC gives ~1% back, correct? SDM card gives you 15 points per $1 (plus 10 points using Optimum card, but you can use Optimum card separately). 15 points can buy you from 2% (for redemptions of small amounts of points) to almost 4% (for SDM PLUS members at bonus events). Even if you buy items that are overpriced by 10-30% in Shoppers, still your rewards are in a range of 1.5%-3% back.
If you ask me, I would prefer to get $100 every 3 months (redeeming SDM points), rather than $20 every month redeeming PC points.
Jul 17, 2007
226 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
Skipper wrote: Almost, except it is 5 pts per $1 when spent anywhere but SDM (in which case it is 15 pts per $1).
Correct.
I would use another card as a major card, and SDM card only in Shoppers. Since somewhere else it gives 5 pts per $1, it is something like 0.7-1.8%, in order to have it close to the upper limit, you should be a PLUS rewards member and/or buy during bonus events. Only in Shoppers the card is unbeatable, in other places it is better to use cards that give 2% or more. PC is a very mediocre card, even if you shop regularly in RCSS, since it gives you only 1%. Of course, there are a lot of cards that are by far worse than even PC.