Computers & Electronics

Pc starts on 2nd attempt and restarts from wake up (happens 40% of the time)

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2021 2:15 pm
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
173 posts
132 upvotes
Markham

Pc starts on 2nd attempt and restarts from wake up (happens 40% of the time)

So I have these issues that happens around 40% of the time

When I turn on my pc i can hear the computer run, case fans spins, led on. no debugg code from mobo. but the screen is black (and monitor ON led going dim to bright on a repeat) it has input because if I unplug the monitor Dp cable the monitor says "no input found and monitor will turn off in 30 seconds" I then plug the Dp back and the screen goes black (with LED going dim to bright on repeat) . restart button doesnt do anything. power button doesnt do anything ...so i force shut down by pressing and hold power button for 5 seconds.
then press power button again and pc runs again and now the screen works but stays on the Bio screen longer than usual . around 15 seconds that says "Please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS setting" (normally is around 2 seconds) ( see picture)
then when it goes to that 4 blue window screen .. the spinning circle dot appears laggy/choppy and finally goes into windows screen and everything is normal (see picture)

And when I put my pc to sleep and when I wake it up, it Restarts or Shuts down and when it reboots it stays in the Bio screen for longer than usual again. like 15 seconds .. exactly as the sympton mentioned above.

It sometimes wakes up fine with the keyboard. but then the keyboard doesnt work at all. i have to unplug and plug keyboard again and it works

Mobo has the latest firmware

I have been reading around and people says it could be the power supply or this specific power supply causes problem with GTX 970? ... My seasonic X-760 is around 10 years old but im a light gamer and never leave my pc on overnight

another thing is when the problem mentioned above happens and when it finally.goes.to windows.. i can open chrome and hit Control Shift T ... all my windows tab e.g 10 browser screen is still there ... so i dont know if that makes sense .. also the time and date doesnt have issue either

Here is my pc specs

Mobo: Asus Z97-A
Cpu : i7 4790k stock with NH-D15s
Gpu : Asus Strix gtx 970
Ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz (xmp)
Sound card : Creative sound blaster Z
SSD : intel 520 120GB (C) , WD Barracuda 1TB (D)
Psu: Seasonic X-760 gold 80 modular
Case : Lianli lancool II Perfomance
Key-Mouse : Corsair.K70 - Razer Deathadder V2
Monitor : Dell S2721DFG 2K 165HZ ips
9 replies
May 29, 2017
270 posts
200 upvotes
I feel this sounds like a power issue. Lets stay realistic.... powersupplies eventually fall from their .707 mark and have a decline. However... if nothing is meant to draw much power on boot, that shouldn't cause a crash
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4102 posts
1242 upvotes
My bet is a motherboard issue. But it'll be easier to eliminate other parts first... just use another power supply if you have one. Or take out the video card and use the integrated video.
Feb 9, 2008
341 posts
283 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
CTRL+SHIFT+T opens the last closed tab/window so if you had all those tabs open before you closed chrome or shutdown, then that's normal.

As suggested, test with a different PSU.

Test if it's an overclocking issue. Turn off any overclocking options in the BIOS (AI Tweaker, Turbo Boost).

You can also try re-flashing the same BIOS version.

Barracuda is Seagate.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7022 posts
3252 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Do you have anything plugged into USB ports? If yes, then unplug and try.

Far fetched but had weird things with a laptop where needed to press power button constantly in order to start. Culprit was a bad USB mouse... found by chance.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3234 posts
1987 upvotes
SW ON
Doesn't sound like power problems. Where are the pictures?

Enter the "UEFI BIOS" (UEFI and BIOS are mutually exclusive) and see what's there. Maybe there is some mis-configuration, maybe RAM is bad, CPU error etc. It actually tells you what to do.

And I second the suggestion to unplug devices from USB.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
1453 posts
812 upvotes
Canada
It sounds like bad RAM or motherboard potentially. It is hard to troubleshoot these issues though. Try these things:
1. Check your thermals in your bios when you get in there and see if there is anything out of the ordinary
2. Check voltage readings in your bios when you get in there and see if there is anything out of the ordinary
3. Reseating your RAM.
4. Booting with minimum RAM sticks. Swap and try other sticks. If Dual Channel, make sure you're plugging in the RAM in the correct slots based on your motherboard's instructions.
5. Remove and put back in your CMOS battery
6. It could be a bad HD cable? Swap HD cable on the HD you boot from.
7. You have onboard video! Disconnect power from your GPU and try without it and plug your monitor into the onboard video output.
8. If you're in Windows, run some diagnostic tests on RAM (HCI MemTest https://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html), or stress your CPU with Prime 95.

It might be just time to upgrade that old rig.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1740 posts
1225 upvotes
can also be a faulty bios chip issue. As in it's about to die on you and wont turn on anymore.
Mar 2, 2017
232 posts
216 upvotes
Random thought. Do you have "fast startup" enabled? I've seen this feature cause all kinds of weird symptoms and any time I hear of a computer doing different things on restart than on cold boot, disabling fast startup is the first thing that comes to mind.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1401 posts
971 upvotes
Vancouver
I would guess the motherboard is the culprit here. Sounds like when you connect/disconnect things, the motherboard moves/flexes allowing loose contacts to be made.

Also that slow boot seems like it tried the fast mode, failed and then starts the non-accelerated way. Yeah, pretty sure it is the mobo.

If it was your RAM, then you'd get random crashes during boot. If it was your PSU, then the machine would shutdown and refuse to start unless it was unplugged for 15/20 mins to reset all the thermal protections & fuses
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop