Credit Cards

PCF MC 75,000 points offer - Hot or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 3:14 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: 75k PCO pts WB for PC MC WE

• Total votes: 44. You have voted on this poll.
Flaming Hot!

7%
Sizzling

18%
Mild or lukewarm

45%
Cool in the shade

11%
Cold as ice

18%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2016
1267 posts
1152 upvotes
Montreal

PCF MC 75,000 points offer - Hot or not?

I got this offer in my mailbox a few days ago:
Apply for a no annual fee PC Financial Mastercard® through the link in this email by December 29th, 2018 and receive a welcome offer of 75,000 bonus PC Optimum points with your first purchase!

Apparently people in this thread thought it is a cold deal:
pc-financial-pc-world-elite-mastercard- ... d-2249557/

I was thinking to apply because my current two cards (MBNA smart cash and Tangerine) only offer 0.5% cash back on "other purchases". At least this PC card offers 1% everywhere.
Any recommendations other than this offer is welcome! I prefer a MC because many places I shop decline VISA.
BTW I am not a Rogers customer, and has been declined once when applying for their card (not sure if it is worth a second try).

Thank you!
Last edited by titaniumtux on Jan 10th, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
62 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8707 posts
9670 upvotes
The Prairies
It’s not a cold deal if you want the card and it works for you.
Of course the WE is the better deal of the 3 cards they offer if you qualify for it.
If you wait, ratesupetmarket may have the $100 signup bonus again.
Other than those two signup bonuses, I haven’t seen anything better.
Of course this card involves dealing with PCMC and their shady business practices.
I won’t go into detail about it, but you can research it yourself.
There’s lots of negative reviews out there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2016
1267 posts
1152 upvotes
Montreal
coolintheshade wrote: It’s not a cold deal if you want the card and it works for you.
Of course the WE is the better deal of the 3 cards they offer if you qualify for it.
If you wait, ratesupetmarket may have the $100 signup bonus again.
Other than those two signup bonuses, I haven’t seen anything better.
Of course this card involves dealing with PCMC and their shady business practices.
I won’t go into detail about it, but you can research it yourself.
There’s lots of negative reviews out there.
Thanks for your reply! I was actually thinking about applying for the Scotia Gold Amex but the sign-up deal never came back lol
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1475 posts
1131 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
$75 bonus for a no fee card is not bad. Again depends if you shop at Loblaws frequently. Can probably get this card then product switch to the WE. Look into that.
Nov 26, 2014
66 posts
5 upvotes
ON
Will signing up for this no-fee version result in any implications on applying for the WE when the $100 bonus comes back, i.e. not being eligible? Apologies not familiar with the PCF cards...
Nov 22, 2012
669 posts
767 upvotes
NS
eezzeezz wrote: Will signing up for this no-fee version result in any implications on applying for the WE when the $100 bonus comes back, i.e. not being eligible? Apologies not familiar with the PCF cards...
PCF will only allow you to have one MasterCard. When you apply and are approved, PCF will issue you a basic, world, or world elite card based upon your qualifications. If you wait and apply via a portal offering a $100 sign up bonus, you will also get 20,000 PC points from PCF.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1063 posts
1232 upvotes
Kitchener
Best sign up bonus by far for this was there 13.5% back at SDM for 6 months. I earned a ton of points with that. Basically got a free laptop and camera by buying a crapload of gift cards heh. (It gave 12% on GC since the 1.5% base points dont apply to them).

Not sure theyll ever do that again..

But I also earned a ton more points from various promos they send you when your a card member.

Its the highest earning no fee card in canada.

Only thing even comparable is scene visa, and well its a visa, and not really any promos for having it. Sign up bonus can be huge tho, was 20k when I got it (targeted special offer).

Id say get it asap. As losing all that potential rewards back by using your current crappy cards is not worth waiting.

PC points are not simply cash either, so its not simply a 1% card / 3% at loblaws brands - they can have outstretched value because shoppers very often does spend your points promos. Stack that with there great deals on electronics they usually have at the same time, and its quite a sweet card.

I consider a pc point worth at least 1.4 cents if redeemed wisely (well 10 of em). 1.66 cpp is the top value they offer iirc.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
4390 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
@sneakerfan @eezzeezz

as @coolintheshade and @jevonb mentioned earlier ... it looks like the $100 e-gift card deal is back for Jan 2019!

Choose from following:

Cineplex
Ultimate Dining Card (Swiss Chalet, Montana's, Kelsey's, Harvey's or Milestones)
Starbucks
iTunes

$25 more in your pocket, if you're ok with a gift card vs $75 in PCO Points

Enjoy!
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4000 upvotes
Toronto
sneakerfan wrote: I got this offer in my mailbox a few days ago:
Apply for a no annual fee PC Financial Mastercard® through the link in this email by December 29th, 2018 and receive a welcome offer of 75,000 bonus PC Optimum points with your first purchase!

Apparently people in this thread thought it is a cold deal:
pc-financial-pc-world-elite-mastercard- ... d-2249557/

I was thinking to apply because my current two cards (MBNA smart cash and Tangerine) only offer 0.5% cash back on "other purchases". At least this PC card offers 1% everywhere.
Any recommendations other than this offer is welcome! I prefer a MC because many places I shop decline VISA.
BTW I am not a Rogers customer, and has been declined once when applying for their card (not sure if it is worth a second try).

Thank you!
OP I got this deal too a few weeks ago. I got the card, but haven't used it yet. However I may just cancel the card as the service is garbage.

I received the WORLD ELITE card, and you would think for a MAstercard- WORLD ELITE card holder, you would get slightly better service.. The call center is terrible.. I mean terrible. The worst call center I've called into.
I've had my card for 3 weeks now and still can't create an account to log in to the online portal... Very furstrating. So far I've called in to the call center 2 times, and both times they have said "give it a few more days"..

Now they've promised me it will work by this friday, OR to call in and speak to a supervisor.

Well if i call in to speak to a supervisor I will be cancelling the card. Not worth the headache. I can only imagine the level of service I will get if there is anything serious on this car, or something to dispute.

So far, I would not recommend it, as I don't think it's worth your time for the points they give you.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1875 posts
1533 upvotes
I personally avoid PC Points as they seem to me, to put in every effort in obfuscating just exactly how much your earn rate / points are worth.

And then trying to fight for stock with the thousands of other people trying to buy electronics at shoppers during the spend your points events....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2016
1267 posts
1152 upvotes
Montreal
mzmoney wrote: @sneakerfan @eezzeezz

as @coolintheshade and @jevonb mentioned earlier ... it looks like the $100 e-gift card deal is back for Jan 2019!

Choose from following:

Cineplex
Ultimate Dining Card (Swiss Chalet, Montana's, Kelsey's, Harvey's or Milestones)
Starbucks
iTunes

Enjoy!
Thanks! I already got the card though
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
4390 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
sneakerfan wrote: Thanks! I already got the card though
Oops, late response on the off chance you didn't apply for card yet!

Great that you got the card with 75,000 PCO points ... Enjoy your bonus :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5963 posts
5539 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: @sneakerfan @eezzeezz

Choose from following:

Cineplex
Starbucks
iTunes

Enjoy!
FYI, Ratesupermarket offers stack with the PCMC welcome points. I got $150 GC + 20k PCO pts during the Canada 150 deal last summer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5963 posts
5539 upvotes
daivey wrote: OP I got this deal too a few weeks ago. I got the card, but haven't used it yet. However I may just cancel the card as the service is garbage.

I received the WORLD ELITE card, and you would think for a MAstercard- WORLD ELITE card holder, you would get slightly better service.. The call center is terrible.. I mean terrible. The worst call center I've called into.
I've had my card for 3 weeks now and still can't create an account to log in to the online portal... Very furstrating. So far I've called in to the call center 2 times, and both times they have said "give it a few more days"..

Now they've promised me it will work by this friday, OR to call in and speak to a supervisor.

Well if i call in to speak to a supervisor I will be cancelling the card. Not worth the headache. I can only imagine the level of service I will get if there is anything serious on this car, or something to dispute.

So far, I would not recommend it, as I don't think it's worth your time for the points they give you.
PCO is one of the best rewards programs available in Canada... I've gotten a ridiculous amount of value out of the program. If you don't want to redeem at SDM for electronics, just use it on flyer items at RCSS.. I typically use my points to stock up on prime rib at $4-5/lb. Keep in mind you can also redeem PCO towards smartphones at PC Mobile.

Technical problems is hardly a customer service issue. I mean sure, they probably could have done a better job at following up, but the telephone agents are usually quite busy with, you know, answering the phone. I doubt that a call center worker would know how to fix your issue and rightfully passed it on to the IT department.

Please let us know whether your cancellation goes smoothly as that would be a slightly better indicator of the customer service in terms of actual issues like billing errors/unauthorized transactions/fraud etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
4390 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
superfresh89 wrote: FYI, Ratesupermarket offers stack with the PCMC welcome points. I got $150 GC + 20k PCO pts during the Canada 150 deal last summer.
Argh, hate when I have created a RFD post on phone and get server time out/app issues!!
Ok, venting out of the way.

Altho, have you ever noticed that if you lose a post before submitting, the 2nd post is much quicker to write ...Probably as you're so annoyed you had to rewrite lol

"Last summer" as in Canada 150 July 2017?! You got a sweet deal!

Realized this is solved for OP. For others contemplating this card, interesting to see if they are still offering the 20k bonus PCO points in 2019, as part of their Welcome Package to new CC holders.

$100 e-gift card + $20 in PCO points as a limited time offer is great, can't see it getting any better than the deal you received @superfresh89
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5963 posts
5539 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: Argh, hate when I have created a RFD post on phone and get server time out/app issues!!
Ok, venting out of the way.

Altho, have you ever noticed that if you lose a post before submitting, the 2nd post is much quicker to write ...Probably as you're so annoyed you had to rewrite lol

"Last summer" as in Canada 150 July 2017?! You got a sweet deal!

Realized this is solved for OP. For others contemplating this card, interesting to see if they are still offering the 20k bonus PCO points in 2019, as part of their Welcome Package to new CC holders.

$100 e-gift card + $20 in PCO points as a limited time offer is great, can't see it getting any better than the deal you received @superfresh89
I had the same error for my second reply in this thread lol. Yeah, annoying for sure.... I copied my post to clipboard before submitting the second time.. just in case lol.

Holy cow! Time flies... yeah it was July 1, 2017 lol.. one day only deal. The $100 + 20000 PCO is the best I've seen both before and after the 150 deal.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1791 posts
2129 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Got the WE card from RSM $100 gift card promo and 20k PCO points. I'm getting cashback around 8-10% on gas at Mobil and I usually shop at Superstore/Nofrills/SDM anyway. It's not my primary card, but it's been a great value to me so the $120 value signup bonus was icing!
May 31, 2016
138 posts
40 upvotes
I see the 75,000 points offer is available during the PC Financial 'Points Days': https://www.pcfinancial.ca/en/campaign/other10

I also see ratesupermarket still lists the $100 gift card.

Any idea if I can redeem both of these offers?

The legal section at the bottom states this:
*Offer valid until January 27, 2019. Apply in person at a participating Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmaprix or Loblaw banner store with a PC Financial representative or online at pcfinancial.ca. When you receive your PC Financial Mastercard® credit card and make your first purchase at a Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmaprix or Loblaw banner store, receive a bonus 75,000 PC Optimum points. Points amount includes the 20,000 PC Optimum points available to all new PC Financial Mastercard® accounts. No minimum purchase amount required. Purchase must be made with your President’s Choice Financial Mastercard® within 4 months of account approval. Cannot be used with any other promotions or offers. Offer has no cash value.

I'm unsure whether that precludes applying via ratesupermarket as I'm unsure whether that essentially goes via pcfinancial.ca, or something else entirely.

Hopefully someone knows the answer as it'd be nice to get both offers :-)

Thanks!
May 31, 2016
138 posts
40 upvotes
Apologies for the double post. I realized my other post was in reply to a 'solved' thread, so would most likely get ignored. I thought it was best to start a new thread after realizing that.

I see the 75,000 points offer is available during the PC Financial 'Points Days': https://www.pcfinancial.ca/en/campaign/other10

I also see ratesupermarket still lists the $100 gift card: https://www.ratesupermarket.ca/deals

Any idea if I can redeem both of these offers?

The legal section at the bottom states this:
*Offer valid until January 27, 2019. Apply in person at a participating Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmaprix or Loblaw banner store with a PC Financial representative or online at pcfinancial.ca. When you receive your PC Financial Mastercard® credit card and make your first purchase at a Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmaprix or Loblaw banner store, receive a bonus 75,000 PC Optimum points. Points amount includes the 20,000 PC Optimum points available to all new PC Financial Mastercard® accounts. No minimum purchase amount required. Purchase must be made with your President’s Choice Financial Mastercard® within 4 months of account approval. Cannot be used with any other promotions or offers. Offer has no cash value.

I'm unsure whether that precludes applying via ratesupermarket as I'm unsure whether that essentially goes via pcfinancial.ca, or something else entirely.

Hopefully someone knows the answer as it'd be nice to get both offers :-)

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5963 posts
5539 upvotes
Pretty sure you can get both offers.

I got $150 Starbucks from ratesupermarket and 25000 welcome points