• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2020 4:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes

PCI Card for Internal Sata Ports

Running out of SATA ports on my motherboard - has 2 x 6.0 and 4 x 3.0.

Currently I have only 1 x 3.0 port left, but I need another one. I was thinking of getting a PCI card such as this: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=040624

Also the fact that it is 6.0Gbps, but can also be downgraded to 3.0Gbps. Will be used for two internal 2.5" sata SSDs. I don't want to go the external route. The 2 6Gbps are used up for my main OS SSD and main slave/data SSD. The 4 x 3Gbps ports are used up by two mechanical HDDs and one internal 2.5" SATA ssd. I have two internal SSDs that I want to use as mentioned, so was figuring if a card like this will work.

Thanks
Blanka
54 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3639 posts
2303 upvotes
London
u could do that. but i mean you really be better off just waiting for a sale buy one huge 14 tb HD for storing your files and get 1 nice 2tb ssd for progarms and windows. just having a couple large drives is so much better then having tons and tons of small drives.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14430 upvotes
djemzine wrote: SYBA
Oh $deity no.

If you're buying any card, you're buying something based on LSI 2008.
Server pulls make this dirt cheap (sub $100, quite frequently sub $50).

IBM M1015 is a good place to start. Dell H310 too.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: u could do that. but i mean you really be better off just waiting for a sale buy one huge 14 tb HD for storing your files and get 1 nice 2tb ssd for progarms and windows. just having a couple large drives is so much better then having tons and tons of small drives.
Hmm.. That is my plan for my next custom built PC which I am not sure when I will be buying the parts to build it. I may just as well keep this PC that I have currently which I have been since 2012. Just for this PC, I thought so. I already have the 2 x 500GB SSDs with me.

You are absolutely right though.
Blanka
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Oh $deity no.

If you're buying any card, you're buying something based on LSI 2008.
Server pulls make this dirt cheap (sub $100, quite frequently sub $50).

IBM M1015 is a good place to start. Dell H310 too.
Sorry LSI 2008? Will that IBM or Dell be compatible with my Asus P8 Z77 motherboard? Meaning not overkill? Not running a server here lol. Not looking for a RAID controller either. Just something budget friendly, to hook up the additional 2.5" SATA SSD to. I will consider it though.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3639 posts
2303 upvotes
London
djemzine wrote: Sorry LSI 2008? Will that IBM or Dell be compatible with my Asus P8 Z77 motherboard? Meaning not overkill? Not running a server here lol. Not looking for a RAID controller either. Just something budget friendly, to hook up the additional 2.5" SATA SSD to. I will consider it though.
hes not wrong about SYBA products . i have one there sata/usb 3 cards in an old amd system that has xp on it use it for playin old games when u install the driver they offer on there website it makes windows bluescreen u have to use the driver that came on the cd. also has a header on it that u should be able to hook the HD led on it up so u can get HD active but dont matter how u hook the wire up it never makes the LED blink.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: hes not wrong about SYBA products . i have one there sata/usb 3 cards in an old amd system that has xp on it use it for playin old games when u install the driver they offer on there website it makes windows bluescreen u have to use the driver that came on the cd. also has a header on it that u should be able to hook the HD led on it up so u can get HD active but dont matter how u hook the wire up it never makes the LED blink.
Perfect. This is great feedback.

So definitely look into another brand or the ones that he mentioned? IBM or the Dell?
Blanka
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14143 posts
3347 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If your Asus board already has extra SATA ports (ie. non Intel), you may as well stick with a PCIe card that uses the same chipset. You already have the drivers installed and you know it works, so plug in the card and you're good to go.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
rabbit wrote: If your Asus board already has extra SATA ports (ie. non Intel), you may as well stick with a PCIe card that uses the same chipset. You already have the drivers installed and you know it works, so plug in the card and you're good to go.
Just to clarify. On my motherboard there are 6 SATA ports.

2 x 6Gbps
4 x 3Gbps

I have only one 3Gbps port left.

I have two SSD hard drives I want installed. One will go into the last remaining port and the other needs to be attached to a pci e card with SATA ports.

My motherboard didn’t come with an extra pci card with SATA ports. Only esata. These are not esata drives.

My motherboard is ASUS P8 Z77 V LX.

Can you find me a compatible pci e SATA card?

Thx
Blanka
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2740 posts
1301 upvotes
Toronto
I had a SATA to PCIE card and it worked fine for internal drives. You couldn't boot from them because the bios had no idea what the card was during boot up but I was only using it to connect a spare harddrive or DVD rom drive at the time (I can't remember which) because I had an old computer that only had 2 sata ports.

It sounds like you'll only be using the drives that are connected to the card as storage. It should work fine for you. I don't know how the speeds are because my computer was old so I didn't really care what the speeds were. Only that the card worked and detected the drives fine.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1085 posts
1924 upvotes
Ontario
aaron158 wrote: u could do that. but i mean you really be better off just waiting for a sale buy one huge 14 tb HD for storing your files and get 1 nice 2tb ssd for progarms and windows. just having a couple large drives is so much better then having tons and tons of small drives.
Depends on the value of that data and whether you're keeping 14TB all backed up or not. These huge drives are great, but a LOT of data to lose at once when they eventually fail. But this depends on the value of that data to the user and whether they backup or not. I always buy my drives in pairs - one for the server/NAS and the other for an external backup enclosure to do a weekly backup to.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: I had a SATA to PCIE card and it worked fine for internal drives. You couldn't boot from them because the bios had no idea what the card was during boot up but I was only using it to connect a spare harddrive or DVD rom drive at the time (I can't remember which) because I had an old computer that only had 2 sata ports.

It sounds like you'll only be using the drives that are connected to the card as storage. It should work fine for you. I don't know how the speeds are because my computer was old so I didn't really care what the speeds were. Only that the card worked and detected the drives fine.
Yup that is purely the purposes of these two drives. For storage and maybe for forensics and VM work. They won't be OS drives.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2740 posts
1301 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Yup that is purely the purposes of these two drives. For storage and maybe for forensics and VM work. They won't be OS drives.
It sounds like the SATA to PCIE card should work fine for your needs. I get why everybody is saying get best of the best but if your needs are minimal (like just for storage) then this card will work fine. I remember looking at Syba and Vantec cards. I don't remember if I bought Syba or Vantec or both. I like Vantec more in general but that's just a personal preference. I have no data to back up any claims that it's better over Syba.

Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1961 posts
1397 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a cheapo Marvell 88SE9215 based 4 port PCI SATA card in my NAS. Works great. Was like 30$ off amazon
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14430 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Sorry LSI 2008? Will that IBM or Dell be compatible with my Asus P8 Z77 motherboard?
That's like 3rd generation Intel right?
Yeah it'll be fine.
I *might* be concerned if it was a modern board, but even then I can't see it not working.
Meaning not overkill?
Oh it's 100% overkill. This card supports up to 256 drives with expanders.
This is the best of the entry level cards and is typically worth a few hundred bucks branded and brand new.
But these are server pulls in a saturated market. I bought 4 of them for $100.
Market price is slightly higher though. You will also need $5 worth of breakout cables (SFF8087 to SATA)
Not running a server here lol.
Don't need to be. Although this would be (and currently is) the card I use for my servers.
But it's also the best card for adding SATA drives.
Not looking for a RAID controller either.
That's the beauty of the LSI2008. You can flash 2 different firmwares to make it a RAID or HBA.
Just something budget friendly, to hook up the additional 2.5" SATA SSD to. I will consider it though.
I still don't know what to think about Chinese computer parts (it could be fake) but there's currently one for $25USD with free SpeedPAK.
So not only is it cheap, but it'll ship pretty quick.
There's also a US based one for $30+12USD which is more reasonable but a touch more expensive.

It's not quite $25CAD but it's infinitely better. I'd pay the $50-60ish for the US based one any day of the week.
You couldn't pay me $25 to use that Syba.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14430 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: hes not wrong about SYBA products .
I've never had luck myself either. I bought a couple because they were cheap and they've all managed to fail spectacularly. I've lost more data to Syba than anyone else.

Oddly enough... Backblaze uses them and they have no issues.
But I'd never use one and I certainly won't let friends use one especially when there's LSI2008s available for not much more money.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: It sounds like the SATA to PCIE card should work fine for your needs. I get why everybody is saying get best of the best but if your needs are minimal (like just for storage) then this card will work fine. I remember looking at Syba and Vantec cards. I don't remember if I bought Syba or Vantec or both. I like Vantec more in general but that's just a personal preference. I have no data to back up any claims that it's better over Syba.
Have the link for the Vantec one? Any issues with the one you have? No BSOD, etc.?
kramer1 wrote: I have a cheapo Marvell 88SE9215 based 4 port PCI SATA card in my NAS. Works great. Was like 30$ off amazon
Any issues to date?

@death_hawk So I need to buy one of the recommended pci e cards you suggested + breakout cables? I take it the SFF8087 connector is on the card itself and the SATA part goes to the SSD?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2740 posts
1301 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Have the link for the Vantec one? Any issues with the one you have? No BSOD, etc.?
I guess it would have been this card -> https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=050782

But it's sold out now. My brother has the desktop now but I never had any issues. No BSOD or corruption issues at all. I didn't run it hard though. I just used the drives for storage. Copying to/from the drive every few days. My desktop was on a lot if that gives you an idea about my usage.

Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1961 posts
1397 upvotes
Vancouver
djemzine wrote: Any issues to date?
Nope, it is in my NAS, so it is on 24x7. From what I understand it's drivers are in the Linux mainline kernel too, so it should be well supported, all around
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop