DIY: PCShutters Home Renovation Projects

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2023 1:48 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5967 posts
2749 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
PCShutters wrote: First item: Brand new Zircon CF12 Pro Circuit Finding System (Retails for $350)

More info: https://www.zircon.com/tools/breaker-id ... inder-kit/

NIOSH N95 Approved Valved Particulate Respirator.

I wasn't even aware they made a circuit finding system. It makes sense though because I've had Bell looking for "live" Bell wires before.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2020
1180 posts
442 upvotes
PCShutters wrote: Since we are going into another lockdown soon. I thought I would take this opportunity to clean out my workshop. To show how much I appreciate this RFD community for giving me lots of input & advices during my renovation, I have decided to do some sort of Giveaways to anyone in the GTA. All items must be picked up (contactless) in Mississauga (Dixie & Hwy 401).

I am going to give out anything from tools, supplies to building materials. I am still sorting out the items but to give you an idea on what to look forward to, here are the first batch of items. Most items are brand new.

If you see anything you like, just reply to this thread below. Please do not PM me and limit ONE item per person to prevent hoarding. I want to find a good home for these items.

More details to follow.
Dewalt 18v drill ( the one standing up) please and thanks for your kindness.
"Coach is the spirit airways of bags" [user Apkesh) 😂😂

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again. (Bush)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6634 posts
1250 upvotes
Toronto
PCShutters wrote: Since we are going into another lockdown soon. I thought I would take this opportunity to clean out my workshop. To show how much I appreciate this RFD community for giving me lots of input & advices during my renovation, I have decided to do some sort of Giveaways to anyone in the GTA. All items must be picked up (contactless) in Mississauga (Dixie & Hwy 401).

I am going to give out anything from tools, supplies to building materials. I am still sorting out the items but to give you an idea on what to look forward to, here are the first batch of items. Most items are brand new.

If you see anything you like, just reply to this thread below. Please do not PM me and limit ONE item per person to prevent hoarding. I want to find a good home for these items.

More details to follow.
Dewalt drill lying down.
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters ... until its solved.
Stay in the know - subscribe.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3612 posts
115 upvotes
GTA
I would be interested in the circuit finder system if it is still available. Thank you.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I’m just Jelly of the Incra system. My tablesaw is woefully inaccurate for the cabinets I am attempting to build and I priced a new fence... nearly fell off my chair. Now trying to make the old one work!
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1265 posts
2315 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: I’m just Jelly of the Incra system. My tablesaw is woefully inaccurate for the cabinets I am attempting to build and I priced a new fence... nearly fell off my chair. Now trying to make the old one work!
I have a love/hate relationship with the Incra fence system. It's amazingly accurate and repeatable but it takes up too much room and I have very limited crosscutting capacity due to the fence. If I want to crosscut anything over 32 inches, I would need to remove the fence and it is not as easy as lifting it up and stow it away. If I want to crosscut anything over 40 inches, I have to pretty much dismantle the entire fence from the table. Yes, I could have get the 52" version but that would take up even more room on the right side of the table. We are not talking about a few inches of wasted space. My 32" version required almost 30 inches of clearance on the right side of the saw.

I am seriously considering going back to the Biesemeyer fence system that came with my table saw.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
PCShutters wrote: I have a love/hate relationship with the Incra fence system. It's amazingly accurate and repeatable but it takes up too much room and I have very limited crosscutting capacity due to the fence. If I want to crosscut anything over 32 inches, I would need to remove the fence and it is not as easy as lifting it up and stow it away. If I want to crosscut anything over 40 inches, I have to pretty much dismantle the entire fence from the table. Yes, I could have get the 52" version but that would take up even more room on the right side of the table. We are not talking about a few inches of wasted space. My 32" version required almost 30 inches of clearance on the right side of the saw.

I am seriously considering going back to the Biesemeyer fence system that came with my table saw.
I have 100% heard the same thing from reviewers and a few pro woodworkers I know. The one review said it was amazing and accurate but also a huge PITA as you are constantly fussing with it.

I have worn the little fence slides down on my Ridgid saw (which was not cheap, but not cabinet grade) and now the damn thing will lock cockeyed if you arent careful. Meanwhile the best consumer grade saw in the world (Ryobi BT3000) fence is dead accurate and 21 years old. I may recover it from the cottage and switch saws. I dont build furniture at the cottage.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1265 posts
2315 upvotes
Toronto
As per the MOD's instructions, I have created a thread over at the BST section of this forums to do the Giveaway. Please go there to request for your items.

PCShutters Free Giveaway -=GTA ONLY=-
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1265 posts
2315 upvotes
Toronto
I am finally made some progress with the wainscotting. It is taking forever! I should have follow my own advice and not make my own trim...between milling, sanding, scribing, fitting and install; it is taking much longer than I expected.

Some update photos. Only half way done, still have plenty more to do.

Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1265 posts
2315 upvotes
Toronto
It has been a while since my last update. No major projects, just a bunch of honey-do list that is way overdue.

Finally got around to do the curved baseboard around the stairs

Dish drying rack

My first end grain cutting board. Most likely my last.

And finally something for myself. Great stress reliever.

Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
PCShutters wrote: My first end grain cutting board. Most likely my last.

Yeah, tell me about it with end grain, I seem to make one per year, and dislike it every time. Also I feel like its just an exercise in creating sawdust for the most part.

Also, there is something about a square/straight edge wall that is just satisfying to look at. Who needs art when you can have woodpecker, stabilia and some tracks hung on a wall? Face With Tears Of Joy

Edit, where do you buy your woodpecker stuff from? I usually get it from KJP but it seems they've been sold out forever.....
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
PCShutters wrote: My first end grain cutting board. Most likely my last.
Enid grain cutting boards do not interest me. I know its a great way to blow out scraps, but I would prefer to make a 4x4 cutting board than an end grain of any size.

Where do you get your structural foam? Dowelmax… a man of taste!
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1265 posts
2315 upvotes
Toronto
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Yeah, tell me about it with end grain, I seem to make one per year, and dislike it every time. Also I feel like its just an exercise in creating sawdust for the most part.

Also, there is something about a square/straight edge wall that is just satisfying to look at. Who needs art when you can have woodpecker, stabilia and some tracks hung on a wall? Face With Tears Of Joy

Edit, where do you buy your woodpecker stuff from? I usually get it from KJP but it seems they've been sold out forever.....
Yes it is very addictive when you start getting into Woodpeckers and other quality tools. Most don't understand why we would want to waste our money on a piece of aluminum but we do it anyway. It makes me happy. That's all it matters.

Woodpeckers tools are out of stock everywhere. Last time I ordered, I had to wait 3 months only to get my entire order cancelled. I get all of my Woodpeckers online from ultimatetools.ca and elitetools.ca

I can't find a source for it locally. I looked into KJP but they also have nothing in stock.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1265 posts
2315 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Enid grain cutting boards do not interest me. I know its a great way to blow out scraps, but I would prefer to make a 4x4 cutting board than an end grain of any size.

Where do you get your structural foam? Dowelmax… a man of taste!
I never like end grain cutting boards but it is one of those things we all have to do to cross it off our woodworking bucket list. I am going with side grain from here on out.

I got my Kaizen foam from Richelieu but you can get it from places like Ultimate Tools, Amazon, Elite tools, etc...

I used to use my Dowelmax all the time until I got the domino...my Dowelmax is just collecting dust now.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1265 posts
2315 upvotes
Toronto
Broom Cupboard/Medicine Cabinet

Lately, it seems like I got nothing done because I have so many projects going on at the same time. One of it was this Broom Cupboard & Medicine Cabinet. We have this messy corner in our kitchen where we put our vacuum, steam mop, brooms and cleaning supplies. Ideally, if we have a bigger house, we would have a closet to put them into but we don't so this is how I address the issue. This will be quick 6 steps write up because it's pretty much the same thing I have been doing for all of my other cabinet builds.

Step One: build a big carcass to house all of the things I want to hide

Step Two: build a side cabinet to house my medicines & first aid supplies

Step Three: fill it up LOL

Step Four: build the doors

Step Five: Dry fit the doors & make the necessary adjustments

Step Six: Paint it & call it done.

Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
I'm constantly amazed at how you keep your shop so clean?!?! There's not a speck of sawdust anywhere!!!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
exrcoupe wrote: I'm constantly amazed at how you keep your shop so clean?!?! There's not a speck of sawdust anywhere!!!
It's probably the 45 shop vacs he has hooked up :)
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Evil Baby wrote: It's probably the 45 shop vacs he has hooked up :)
Thats a real thing. My first house I bought a small dedicated dust collector and piped the entire place. It was amazing. The only time I made dust was when drilling in the middle of the floor. Everything had its own dedicated hookup and gate.
Have never been able to 100% duplicate that since
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Pet food dish ftw... Here kitty kitty kitty!!
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)