Real Estate

PDI on new house. What to ask? Look for?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 10:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2007 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto

PDI on new house. What to ask? Look for?

I purchased new build from the builder and I asked them to fix few things.

I have builders Pre delivery inspection person coming, and what should I look for? What questions can i ask?

I don’t wanna oh I forgot to say this or forgot to ask?

What are some of the things I should know about pdi?

Inspector said only home owner is allowed to enter? Is this true, what if I have my fiancé or wife comes in with?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
7351 posts
5304 upvotes
Toronto
you can also claim issues at the 30 and 1 year mark as part of your tarion warranty

so if you miss something now it's okay.

get a home inspector once you take possession and file your 30 day claim
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1546 posts
642 upvotes
I'd check the flooring on PDI because that's something many builders are quick to sign a waiver on so it's generally excluded from 30-day or 1-year claims. For other things, as oasis100 said, you can get a home inspector and go through that with him/her. Generally though, as you walk around, just see what sticks out at you. It's impossible to catch everything in the first visit.
Realtor @ Royal LePage Ignite Realty
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5133 posts
5085 upvotes
Ottawa
Tarion has a PDI Checklist on its site. https://www.tarion.com/resources/public ... -new-homes

You should take some time and familiarize yourself with Tarion prior to taking possession of your new home.

Generally, the PDI is an inspection on the condition of the home on a particular date. It isn't an actual warranty point for Tarion. It is an opportunity for the builder to go over all the systems of the home. The builder should show you how everything works. Show you where things like the water and gas shut off valves are. You should also use your time to check for any blemishes or scratches anywhere and make sure that these are noted so the builder can't claim later that you made those scratches after closing. Check for any poor quality finishes like paint, nail pops, caulking, light switches that may be crooked. Note anything that is missing. Make sure that doors open and close quickly.

Only the home owner should be present at the PDI. In the past if you wanted a representative there also you had to notify the builder in advance. With the current pandemic I would expect that most builders would say no to anyone attending other than the actual home owner.
Jul 15, 2019
692 posts
555 upvotes
The PDI is the time for you to look for any cosmetic issues, floors, walls, base boards, crooked lights, poorly done worksmanship on finishes... looking to make sure things look perfect for you.

Don’t bother getting a home inspector for this, they builder only gives you a limited time and it’s a waste at this time.

Get an inspector for your 30day tarion, they will have more time to really go in-depth and check all the defficiencies off the list. You can even hire them again for the 1 year.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5711 posts
1283 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: I purchased new build from the builder and I asked them to fix few things.

I have builders Pre delivery inspection person coming, and what should I look for? What questions can i ask?

I don’t wanna oh I forgot to say this or forgot to ask?

What are some of the things I should know about pdi?

Inspector said only home owner is allowed to enter? Is this true, what if I have my fiancé or wife comes in with?
Risky to bring your wife and fiance to the same house...

Anyway, take your time, check every single switch and faucet. Pay attention to how doors and windows open and close.
Jul 15, 2019
692 posts
555 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: Risky to bring your wife and fiance to the same house...

Anyway, take your time, check every single switch and faucet. Pay attention to how doors and windows open and close.
LOL
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2007 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto
ok thanks. i will get inspector with in 30 days.

My inspection is tomorrow.

Do I need home insurance as well? or keep only fire insurance?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)