Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
29 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON

PDI Query

Just had our PDI done on a high-rise unit.

It was supposed to be done by an independent PDI company paid by the builder. The person didn't pitch up because he had, supposedly, a medical emergency.

My wife and I were not informed of the change and were met by a rather non-caring customer care rep. We were rushed through the whole process that took
less than 45 minutes for a 3-bedroom unit. She was even annoyed when we pointed out some defects on some areas.

Our first impression is that the paint job and workmanship are left to be desired. There are some similarity to certain parts in the link below.

https://poorconstruction.blogspot.ca/20 ... mment-form

We had high expectations since it is a highly-regarded builder but were left baffled.

Our queries are:

1. Is it advisable to get an inspector ? If yes, when is the best time to go over the unit, i.e. at occupancy date or later.
2. Can we bring the inspector to Customer Care for him/her to point the deficiencies ?
3. Are the paint job and poor workmanship fixed in the 30-day or the 1-year Tarion warranty ?

Thanks for your input.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1267 posts
695 upvotes
Oshawa
1. Yes, don't do it at the PDI...waste of time. Get it before your 30-day is due and submit his/her findings on it.
2. No point
3. 30-day...but good luck...Tarion won't enforce "poor workmanship" or "poor paint job." You have to be specific and even then its really up to the after sales service of the builder you went with.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
407 upvotes
When it comes to new homes and warranty items, pick your battles wisely. Understand that for every item that you put on your list, a separate trades person may have to visit your home at least once to remedy the item. This may mean lots of time off work for the home owners, as someone has to be there to let them in and to sign off on the repair.

Some repair items can actually make the issue worse. Paint is very often one of these. Touch ups here and there have a habit of being noticeable and unless the unit's paint job is completely unacceptable, no one is going to take the time to properly prepare and paint the entire unit.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29220 posts
14989 upvotes
Toronto
TAS Designbuild (from the link) ... where do I begin ? I used to work for these clowns back in 2000. They have no clues on how to do a build of low rise, let alone of highrises. The shoddy workmanship does not surprise me one bit at all.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
jonnyb wrote: 1. Yes, don't do it at the PDI...waste of time. Get it before your 30-day is due and submit his/her findings on it.
2. No point
3. 30-day...but good luck...Tarion won't enforce "poor workmanship" or "poor paint job." You have to be specific and even then its really up to the after sales service of the builder you went with.

Condition:
PAINT FINISH IS UNACCEPTABLE

Acceptable Performance/Condition:
A properly painted surface shall be produced on every exposed surface where a painted finish is specified. A properly painted surface shall be assessed by viewing, without magnification, from a minimum perpendicular distance of 1,500 mm under normal lighting conditions and from a normal viewing position.

Warranty:
One-Year - Work and Materials. · Damage resulting from normal wear and tear are excluded from the statutory warranty.

Action:
Where a properly painted surface is not achieved repairs shall be made.

Remarks:
Natural lighting conditions throughout the day may change the appearance of the properly painted surface. Brush marks are acceptable in cut-in areas and on trim and may vary in appearance with paint type. Repainted areas shall match the original finished surface for colour, sheen and texture as closely as possible. See Also: 9.7 FINISH OF PAINTED GYPSUM WALLBOARD (DRYWALL) VARIES 9.8 FINISHED SURFACE IS ROUGH 10.21 INTERIOR DOOR EDGE IS NOT PAINTED