Travel

Is Pearson T3 only for International Arrivals?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2018 6:48 pm
[OP]
Feb 17, 2005
669 posts
3 upvotes
Miss.

Is Pearson T3 only for International Arrivals?

Hey guys, if there's a flight that arrives from Montreal to Toronto at Terminal 3. Does that mean that the passengers of that flight arriving at T3 will need their Passports and go through immigration/customs even for a domestic travel? I believe for domestic flights we don't require passports. I usually only see domestic flights land at T1. Does T3 have a split for international arrivals and domestic based on the gate #s? I've never seen one, hence, I was just curious.
6 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
JEDI-MASTER wrote: Hey guys, if there's a flight that arrives from Montreal to Toronto at Terminal 3. Does that mean that the passengers of that flight arriving at T3 will need their Passports and go through immigration/customs even for a domestic travel? I believe for domestic flights we don't require passports. I usually only see domestic flights land at T1. Does T3 have a split for international arrivals and domestic based on the gate #s? I've never seen one, hence, I was just curious.
Only domestic flights at Terminal 1? That's news to me! Two airlines that use T1 that definitely are coming from other countries are United and Emirates! Not to mention all those Air Canada flights from the US, Europe, and Asia.

Sure, the vast majority of flights arriving at T3 are from the USA or elsewhere, given the airline mix at that terminal. But it's also the home of Air Transat and WestJet which fly domestically as well as internationally.

This map sucks but I'll try my best to explain it:
https://torontopearson.com/uploadedImag ... ay2017.png

On the far right (near "G") is where all those international passengers will exit customs/immigration/baggage claim. On the far left (near "B") is where the domestic pax exit baggage claim (as they won't deal with customs/immigration). So, yes those pax won't need passports to fly, just a valid photo ID. If you're going there to pick up a friend/family member, if they're coming in from Montreal go over to B (it'll be signed "Canada Arrivals" with a Canadian flag). If they're coming in from out of country, go over to G (signed "International Arrivals" with a globe icon).

In the secured area, domestic and international pax are sequestered from each other (so that somebody who needs to go through immigration can't just slip out the domestic exit). Similarly, on the departures level, USA-bound pax are sequestered from the others because they have to go through US CBP pre-clearance. These apply at both terminals.
Feb 11, 2009
985 posts
239 upvotes
There are plenty of domestic flights that land at Terminal 3 :-)

This is a map with the gates: https://www.torontopearson.com/uploaded ... ay2017.png

The B gates are used sometimes for International and sometimes for Domestic.

For domestic flights, you just exit into the same area as departing passengers. You follow signs to the exit and it will take you to an escalator to go to baggage claim on the arrivals level on the east side of the building.

For international (including US), once exit the aircraft you are forced to an upper level where there is a separate corridor. You follow the signs and once in the main part of the terminal will end up going down two floors. You will go through border control and luggage claim, also on arrivals level but on the west side of the building.
[OP]
Feb 17, 2005
669 posts
3 upvotes
Miss.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Only domestic flights at Terminal 1? That's news to me! Two airlines that use T1 that definitely are coming from other countries are United and Emirates! Not to mention all those Air Canada flights from the US, Europe, and Asia.

Sure, the vast majority of flights arriving at T3 are from the USA or elsewhere, given the airline mix at that terminal. But it's also the home of Air Transat and WestJet which fly domestically as well as internationally.

This map sucks but I'll try my best to explain it:
https://torontopearson.com/uploadedImag ... ay2017.png

On the far right (near "G") is where all those international passengers will exit customs/immigration/baggage claim. On the far left (near "B") is where the domestic pax exit baggage claim (as they won't deal with customs/immigration). So, yes those pax won't need passports to fly, just a valid photo ID. If you're going there to pick up a friend/family member, if they're coming in from Montreal go over to B (it'll be signed "Canada Arrivals" with a Canadian flag). If they're coming in from out of country, go over to G (signed "International Arrivals" with a globe icon).

In the secured area, domestic and international pax are sequestered from each other (so that somebody who needs to go through immigration can't just slip out the domestic exit). Similarly, on the departures level, USA-bound pax are sequestered from the others because they have to go through US CBP pre-clearance. These apply at both terminals.

Great to know. Thank you for the clarification! :)
[OP]
Feb 17, 2005
669 posts
3 upvotes
Miss.
4seasonscentre wrote: There are plenty of domestic flights that land at Terminal 3 :-)

This is a map with the gates: https://www.torontopearson.com/uploaded ... ay2017.png

The B gates are used sometimes for International and sometimes for Domestic.

For domestic flights, you just exit into the same area as departing passengers. You follow signs to the exit and it will take you to an escalator to go to baggage claim on the arrivals level on the east side of the building.

For international (including US), once exit the aircraft you are forced to an upper level where there is a separate corridor. You follow the signs and once in the main part of the terminal will end up going down two floors. You will go through border control and luggage claim, also on arrivals level but on the west side of the building.

Thank you as well for explaining and clarifying this! : )
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16194 posts
4997 upvotes
London
T1 and T3 both handle domestic and international

Star alliance (AC, united, etc) uses T1
Skyteam/ OneWorld alliances (Westjet, Delta, AA, etc) uses T3

http://toronto-yyz.airports-guides.com/ ... lines.html

It allows the alliance members to transfer passengers between the airline partners without changing terminals.

example LA->Thunderbay can be:
UA->Toronto->AC->Thunderbay via T1
or
DL->Toronto->WJ-> Thunderbay via T3
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
l69norm wrote: It allows the alliance members to transfer passengers between the airline partners without changing terminals.
example LA->Thunderbay can be:
UA->Toronto->AC->Thunderbay via T1
or
DL->Toronto->WJ-> Thunderbay via T3
Technically WestJet isn't with SkyTeam.... yet. They'd have to change their codesharing for Asian itineraries from Cathay Pacific (OneWorld) to Korean Air or one of the mainland Chinese carriers for a proper integration with the alliance.