Automotive

Peel police bust multi-million-dollar car theft ring - 21 arrests made and $4.2 million recovered

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 6:19 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1403 posts
1450 upvotes
ON
Does this mean we should no longer be scared buying a Lexus? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5884 posts
5057 upvotes
Oakville, ON
booblehead wrote: I see a Caddy ... I thought they have On Star GPS tracking on this .... they could have located this not long after being taken.
They’ve outsmarted OnStar and Chevrolet Silverados ate quickly becoming the domestic equivalent of the Lexus RX....

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/how-thieve ... o-quickly/

Thieves are using their own technology to hack into the Chevy Silverado’s OnStar application, allowing them a quick and easy getaway. According to NBC News, one theft victim claims that within three minutes, thieves “were able to pop the lock, pop the hood, change the computer, disable OnStar and steal my truck.” It seems thieves are using the Silverado’s own technology against it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
6178 posts
619 upvotes
Quebec
Holystone wrote: Does this mean we should no longer be scared buying a Lexus? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
no, it just means they never caught the lexus thieves!
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3678 posts
1098 upvotes
Let me guess, the max these guys will get is slap on the wrist.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7747 posts
1781 upvotes
Scarborough
Yeh they will be out again soon and back to business

But hey at least they didnt steal those beige corollas. If they start doing that it would be the end of the world ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2576 posts
1321 upvotes
Hometown
romsan04 wrote: Let me guess, the max these guys will get is slap on the wrist.
Probably since it is only the owners of stolen vehicles who are hurt by auto theft, in Ontario.

Insurance companies in Ontario are guaranteed a 12 to 13% "profit" after expenses. They can raise rates in the following year to recover pay outs. They can not however just raise rates above that 12 to 13 percent allowance. So if you assume all insurance companies have similar fixed costs. It is to their advantage to have higher pay outs than lower ones. Simple math would you want to try to pay all your fixed costs on 13% of 20 million or 13% of 200 million? That is why the auto insurance system in broken in Ontario...

The cops could care less except if you have fewer car thefts then what do we need all these constables running around making 75K a year for? Have large bust like this once in a while, which as noted before is a mere drop in the bucket....

Judges, crown attorneys and prisons need job security criminals just like Canadian tire needs repeat customers... So they don't want to send the criminals away for too long, in case there are no new criminals to replace em. If the penalty was enough of a deterrent to basically STOP auto theft. Soon fiscal conservatives would be saying why do we need all the expense of all these crown attorneys and judges...

Car manufacturers need sales so....

Slap on the wrist might be too harsh.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6193 posts
4046 upvotes
Toronto
All I've learned from this story is crime pays.

This probably wasn't the first batch of cars the thieves stole before they were caught and now the criminals from Lie-ons will probably make thousands from storage fees while the police thoroughly do their paperwork/investigate.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3678 posts
1098 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote: Probably since it is only the owners of stolen vehicles who are hurt by auto theft, in Ontario.

Insurance companies in Ontario are guaranteed a 12 to 13% "profit" after expenses. They can raise rates in the following year to recover pay outs. They can not however just raise rates above that 12 to 13 percent allowance. So if you assume all insurance companies have similar fixed costs. It is to their advantage to have higher pay outs than lower ones. Simple math would you want to try to pay all your fixed costs on 13% of 20 million or 13% of 200 million? That is why the auto insurance system in broken in Ontario...

The cops could care less except if you have fewer car thefts then what do we need all these constables running around making 75K a year for? Have large bust like this once in a while, which as noted before is a mere drop in the bucket....

Judges, crown attorneys and prisons need job security criminals just like Canadian tire needs repeat customers... So they don't want to send the criminals away for too long, in case there are no new criminals to replace em. If the penalty was enough of a deterrent to basically STOP auto theft. Soon fiscal conservatives would be saying why do we need all the expense of all these crown attorneys and judges...

Car manufacturers need sales so....

Slap on the wrist might be too harsh.
I am definitely in wrong trade.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
Some of the names are listed on Sun website. It looks like multicultural society. Police are still looking for more people in the ring. (ongoing investigation). In Sun's comment section someone pointed out parts were found in Caledon Old Base Line Road. They did rip out the GPS tracking system. I read that they were stealing cars from showroom in dealership and maybe false registering at Service Ontario.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... ing-busted
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5170 posts
6962 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ADRiiAN` wrote: That building looks like the dreaded Lyons Auto Body. I wouldn't be surprised....
You beat me to it, those diarrhea yellow walls can only be...
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3014 upvotes
keenland
WMPCOT wrote: Guys Lyons weren't the ones busted they have the exclusive towing rights with Peel Region because of some back door deals that took place decades ago so the cars must have been transported here until the rightful owners retrieve them.
john lyons and hazel are related
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13442 posts
4352 upvotes
All from Brampton. 2 from Caledon. All a bunch of criminals of peel. Why we are not surprised.