Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1743 posts
121 upvotes

Peel Residents - Waste Bin Selection

It's strange, but I don't think that the change in waste collection was communicated to me very well.

Starting Jan 2016, Peel Region is moving to a bi-weekly collection schedule and all residents will have to convert to the large standardized bins like the ones being used in Toronto.

My mother called me a month or two ago asking me which bin I'd selected. I had no idea what she was talking about. When she mentioned the notice she'd received, I asked my neighbours about it. None of them had heard about it either, so I told her that maybe it was a pilot project being tested in her neighbourhood.

Well, today, while picking up my recycling bin, I noticed a big orange sticker saying "REMINDER", you must choose your bin by March 31st. What?? I also saw an ad in the local newspaper mentioning the reminder but I honestly don't remember receiving any prior notice. I'll ask my neighbours again when I see them tomorrow morning.

Anyway, I went to the website, and chose the bins. It asked for my address as a way of helping me choose which bin would be most appropriate. I have a big house, but I only have a family of 4. So I was a bit shocked when they said that we should go with the largest. I only put out one bag of garbage each week since we're pretty good with our composted and recycling. The bin that they proposed is supposed to hold about 5 bags.

Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be a cost involved with the size that you choose. But by selecting a Garbage Bin, Recycling Bin and Composted Bin, there's not enough room in my garage for these monstrosities, so I'll have to store them at the side of my house or something.

Has anyone else been through this process? I'm wondering if I should downsize my bins before the March 31st due date, but I'm also wondering if it's even worth it since it's not likely that even the smallest size selections will fit in my garage.
58 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1368 posts
387 upvotes
Brampton
mississauga-garbage-collection-every-2- ... r-1662233/

I am sure there are lots of notice boards around asking to choose the bins near major intersections. They even scheduled events in the community centers to display the bins and also explain the process. You can change the size before March 30 the same way you selected the bins. After March 30, there is a fee. I have seen the bins physically and also selected the largest first based on my address but after physically seeing them, I changed the selection to the medium. The large ones are very big and will take away a lot of garage space.
Aug 6, 2007
121 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton
If the program is going to be similar to Toronto, try to go for a small or medium garbage bin and the largest you can fit for recycling. I believe that Toronto charged to upsize your bin but not to downsize. Mississauga hasn't announced anything about what the fees will be. They are probably recommending large size because the city will start charging for the bins soon and they know that a lot of people won't realize how much they are paying or know how to change it. There will likely be an option to buy garbage tags for times when you have a little more waste.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15981 posts
4822 upvotes
London
Go here to look at the physical carts. The large ones are huge.
I'm not sure who would need the large one, most people would find the med carts a little on big side already

Week of Mar 23, 2015
Region of Peel - Lobby
7120 Hurontario St.
Mon – Fri
9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
March 30 & 31, 2015
Region of Peel - Lobby
7120 Hurontario St.
9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5793 posts
219 upvotes
GTA
Region of Peel - Brampton sent flyers which my wife saw and ordered what she needed immediately. A couple of month thereafter the orange sticker was placed on the green compost bin.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2031 upvotes
Nowhere
I don't know how you could not know about this. The notices have been everywhere. I have received multiple notices in the mail despite living in a townhouse which is exempt. There have been notices in the newspaper, online and on the street plus the bins have been in public places throughout the region. It seems you can't turn around without seeing something about these new bins and this has been going on for months.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5984 posts
3080 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah, I received several notices about the new program as well as seeing mobile signs all over the place in Mississauga reminding you.

I picked ours a couple of weeks ago. We typically put out 1-1/2 bags of garbage a week so I went with the medium garbage bin (since we'll be going to bi-weekly collection) and the largest recycling bin. You have no choice for the organics bin.

Storing these things is going to be another issue...
Jan 20, 2010
35 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton
fabfab wrote: If the program is going to be similar to Toronto, try to go for a small or medium garbage bin and the largest you can fit for recycling. I believe that Toronto charged to upsize your bin but not to downsize. Mississauga hasn't announced anything about what the fees will be. They are probably recommending large size because the city will start charging for the bins soon and they know that a lot of people won't realize how much they are paying or know how to change it. There will likely be an option to buy garbage tags for times when you have a little more waste.
^^This^^.

When I initially went on line to Peel Region, they recommended for my house the large size garbage cart, but I chose the medium. However, a couple of my work colleagues who live in Toronto informed me that a fee is charged to households with medium sized or larger garbage carts. I promptly called Peel Waste Management and after some discussion changed it to a small cart. Although the person on the other end of the phone assured me that the council has voted not to charge households for the amount of garbage they produce, my gut instinct is that it will. According to one of my workmates, in Toronto the fee shows up on the water bill, but not for households with the small garbage cart. Others at RFD here can verify this information. BTW the person from Peel Waste Management also told me that they will charge you if you decide to change the size of carts (garbage & recycle) after they arrive at your home and suggested it was best I change it today than later on down the road.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2031 upvotes
Nowhere
This is Peel Region not Toronto. Peel is not charging for carts or a garbage fee but will charge you if you change your cart after today. So yes, the person on the phone was correct. But this is RFD. We don't believe people who are actually in a position to give the correct answer. We'd rather post it here and wait for a stranger with no direct knowledge to make up an answer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5984 posts
3080 upvotes
Mississauga
+1

Right now the only fee that Region of Peel will charge is if you change your mind after today about the cart size you selected. Could that change down the road and they start tacking on a surcharge to large bin owners? Sure. But unless you have a crystal ball you don't know.
Aug 6, 2007
121 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton
Money Saver wrote: ^^This^^.

When I initially went on line to Peel Region, they recommended for my house the large size garbage cart, but I chose the medium. However, a couple of my work colleagues who live in Toronto informed me that a fee is charged to households with medium sized or larger garbage carts. I promptly called Peel Waste Management and after some discussion changed it to a small cart. Although the person on the other end of the phone assured me that the council has voted not to charge households for the amount of garbage they produce, my gut instinct is that it will. According to one of my workmates, in Toronto the fee shows up on the water bill, but not for households with the small garbage cart. Others at RFD here can verify this information. BTW the person from Peel Waste Management also told me that they will charge you if you decide to change the size of carts (garbage & recycle) after they arrive at your home and suggested it was best I change it today than later on down the road.
Yes it shows up on the water bill. The small bin used to have a rebate but the rates have just skyrocketed so its about $10 for a small bin, $340 for xl.
Jan 20, 2010
35 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton
Cheap Cat wrote: This is Peel Region not Toronto. Peel is not charging for carts or a garbage fee but will charge you if you change your cart after today. So yes, the person on the phone was correct. But this is RFD. We don't believe people who are actually in a position to give the correct answer. We'd rather post it here and wait for a stranger with no direct knowledge to make up an answer.
If you are referring to my post, where in it have I made up an answer?
Jan 20, 2010
35 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton
mrweather wrote: +1

Right now the only fee that Region of Peel will charge is if you change your mind after today about the cart size you selected. Could that change down the road and they start tacking on a surcharge to large bin owners? Sure. But unless you have a crystal ball you don't know.

Again if you are referring to my post, then you are correct - I do not know. I do not believe in crystal balls either. However, wouldn't it be both fiscally sound and environmentally responsible for the regional council to charge households a fee that regularly produce more garbage than other households in the area?

I'm not trying to be funny or anything, but is this only apparent to me ? Again not trying to derail this thread, but it would be interesting to know what other RFD members think.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2031 upvotes
Nowhere
Money Saver wrote: If you are referring to my post, where in it have I made up an answer?
Please read my post again. Apparently you have comprehension issues. I guess that is why you didn't understand the rep. on the telephone. I never said you made up an answer, although your post is full of wild speculation based on what another city is doing rather than what a rep. is the region in question told you. So wait for a stranger to give you the answer you want.
May 17, 2007
316 posts
26 upvotes
Money Saver wrote: However, wouldn't it be both fiscally sound and environmentally responsible for the regional council to charge households a fee that regularly produce more garbage than other households in the area?
I agree, it makes sense for the Region financially to charge for the larger bins.

Before ordering, I read through the staff report that was presented to Regional council about this, and there is no mention of user fees for the large bin sizes at all. At this point, they just seem to be doing this for the savings of picking up garbage half as often, and to allow use of trucks with the mechanical arm to load the bins rather than loading by hand.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1743 posts
121 upvotes
One of the residents in my neighbourhood taped letters to all of the mailboxes regarding the bin size selections.

In the letter, they asked that residents consider choosing the medium sized garbage/recycling bins and warned that we would all be defaulted to a large size if we didn't. The letter went on to say that the large bins are unreasonably large and would be difficult to store away in garages.

They the letter got to the author's point which is to say that they don't want our neighbourhood to become unsightly as a result of people having a bunch of large bins out in plain view since they're too big to store away after garbage day.

Now, I didn't see this letter until yesterday which was past the no-fee selection date. However, upon seeing the large bins earlier, I had decided that my household of 4 really only needed the medium sized bins anyway since I also was concerned about being able to store them away in my garage.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1949 posts
682 upvotes
GTA
I had the concerns regarding Peel implmenting a program like Toronto and charging a separate fee on your water bill based on the bin size. did some research and Toronto lets you downsize for free, to get a larger bins they charge a fee. I believe peel will do the same, it's a good idea and a way to shift people for recycle and compost. I ordered the large assuming free downsize later if the bin size based fees come in. Garbage should be more of a consumption fee to help "encourage' people to do the right thing!

also Toronto removed the waste collection from the bill initially, so small bins basically did not pay anything. now they do based on the 2015 budget, something like $5 a year. Large bins are now at $2xx I believe.
Jan 20, 2010
35 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton
S N Frost wrote: I agree, it makes sense for the Region financially to charge for the larger bins.

Before ordering, I read through the staff report that was presented to Regional council about this, and there is no mention of user fees for the large bin sizes at all. At this point, they just seem to be doing this for the savings of picking up garbage half as often, and to allow use of trucks with the mechanical arm to load the bins rather than loading by hand.
Thank you for this information as I did not read the report from Peel Regional council before I posted yesterday. Here is one report I found for anyone interested in reading it:

http://www.peelregion.ca/council/agenda ... -pw-b2.pdf