• Nov 2nd, 2017 5:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5952 posts
3050 upvotes
Mississauga
taeyang987 wrote: so just double checking we don' get charged correct? Like it won't be added onto our water bill? Only if we decide to change the size of the bin?
Correct. There is a grace period of April 1-30 where you can exchange your bins for bigger (or smaller) ones. After that you'll have to pay $25.

The other discussion had to do with speculation that the Region perhaps was looking to charge garbage fees down the road based on the size of your bin. That hasn't happened yet but never say never!
Oct 16, 2014
194 posts
15 upvotes
North York, ON
Loving my large garbage bin.

I wonder if I can upgrade the plastic wheels to real rubber tires?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2744 posts
1198 upvotes
Mississauga
er34er34 wrote: It's $25 whether you down or up size after May 1st.
That is why I'm changing. Might as well get the largest bin that I can even if I do not need the extra capacity at the moment.

When I went to the townhall they were considering allowing one free change every calendar year so I got the medium hoping to upgrade in the future when my need changed. I guess that plan is out the window.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4655 posts
5626 upvotes
Toronto, ON
buliwyf wrote: Loving my large garbage bin.

I wonder if I can upgrade the plastic wheels to real rubber tires?
Slap some chrome wheels on it and decorate it with some LEDs. The raccoons will love it.

On a side note, I watched my neighbor's cart's wheels snap off from being smashed into the ground after being dumped by the truck. These things are horribly built.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1743 posts
121 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: On a side note, I watched my neighbor's cart's wheels snap off from being smashed into the ground after being dumped by the truck. These things are horribly built.
Same... came home yesterday and the wheel on my green bin was snapped off.

Filed a replacement request on the Region of Peel website and the response said that I have to leave it outside for the next 10 days while I randomly wait for someone/something to replace it. Can't they just call me?

I also looked on Twitter and dozens of people are messaging the Region of Peel Twitter account to complain about the same thing.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11015 posts
1406 upvotes
Brampton
My garbage bin wheel also popped off today after we moved it in the garage :mad: Found it under the car :facepalm:
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
2948 posts
1555 upvotes
Mississauga
My organics bin won't close easily. Have to adjust the alignment of the lock for it to close and lock properly

Poor manufactured piece of garbage
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5952 posts
3050 upvotes
Mississauga
At least my recyclables got picked up today. Only 24 hours late...

So far so good with broken wheels, bent axles, etc. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6264 posts
2717 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Friends in Quebec and USA have been using similar bins like ours for many years before us... progress eh? And only one person in truck not two like have seen here.

When they delivered in our neighbourhood I was surprised that they had to install wheels etc. Guess it saves space in truck.

Talked to friends and from what they recall the bins came fully assembled already in trucks.

Did see the bins down south last month and they seemed much more sturdy especially wheels.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5952 posts
3050 upvotes
Mississauga
georvu wrote: Friends in Quebec and USA have been using similar bins like ours for many years before us... progress eh? And only one person in truck not two like have seen here.
I've observed that the recycling truck (at least) is a single person and the green bin truck is two. The latter has a driver and the second guy mounts the green bin to the arm. I haven't seen how the garbage trucks are manned.
When they delivered in our neighbourhood I was surprised that they had to install wheels etc. Guess it saves space in truck.
My bins were dropped off from the back of a rented 5 ton and appeared to be fully assembled.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11015 posts
1406 upvotes
Brampton
mrweather wrote: My bins were dropped off from the back of a rented 5 ton and appeared to be fully assembled.
Same here.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
194 posts
15 upvotes
North York, ON
mau_mau wrote: My organics bin won't close easily. Have to adjust the alignment of the lock for it to close and lock properly

Poor manufactured piece of garbage
Yes, you can fit it inside the large garbage bin.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2031 upvotes
Nowhere
mrweather wrote: Not yet but you know it's coming.
taeyang987 wrote: so just double checking we don' get charged correct? Like it won't be added onto our water bill? Only if we decide to change the size of the bin?
There are no charges for the bins unless you are changing the size after May 1. A garbage fee is not coming. Our garbage is covered by property taxes in Peel Region. This is not the case in other municipalities which is why they charge fees.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5952 posts
3050 upvotes
Mississauga
You severely underestimate the creativity of government when they're hunting for new "revenue tools".

Peel Region effectively implemented an extra fee a decade ago when they went to the two-bag limit, forcing you to buy stickers for additional bags. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from adding a new fee to your regional tax bill based on the size of your garbage bin.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15939 posts
4802 upvotes
London
Did you guys see the article in the latest Mississauga News?

http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/6 ... n-program/

Squirrels are attacking the new green bins, chewing holes right through the plastic

Also, these are two new contractors replacing the old contractor. While a lot of existing workers were rehired by the new contractors, everybody has changed locations. Essentially, everyone is new to their jobs

The truck routes are computer generated/optimized but there have been bugs in the software

Image...Image...Image
Aug 11, 2004
359 posts
48 upvotes
Well at least most people received garbage bins. Townhouse owners were left to fend for themselves. With bi-weekly garbage pickup we are now left to have to purchase extra garbage cans at our own expense. Also with recycling we now have to use bags. They did give us a package of bags that will most likely last a year, but what happens next year? Are we left with another added expense? I feel this was not very well thought out process. > :(
Apr 18, 2005
429 posts
75 upvotes
We currently have the medium recycling bin for a family of three, but considering a move to the small size. The cart selection video they post on YouTube says that the small can fit 2-3 of the old blue bins while the man in the video empties what looks like only half of an old bin into the small cart size. Is the small size realistic with the volume of newspapers and flyers we get? We can pretty much overflow one of the old square bins biweekly.
Aug 11, 2004
359 posts
48 upvotes
Well the ongoing Saga of Peel Waste continues. As a townhouse owner I feel totally shafted by the Region when it comes to waste. Originally we were told by the region we would only receive the new organics cart. When they rolled out these new green organic carts they also switched us over to bi weekly garbage pickup. So we were forced to go out and buy extra garbage containers and eventually purchase recycling bags after we used up a free supply. I called the region in Jan 2016 to complain and was told no bins for you as our street was to small. Well almost two years later and a complete about face ,now they are forcing the Garbage and Recycling bins on us. I know some of my neighbours will not have room to store these monster. Should be interesting. So I am now also left to dispose of extra waste bins I purchased (take them to recycling center on my dime) . Screwed again!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5952 posts
3050 upvotes
Mississauga
Do like almost everyone else does around here: park them in your driveway in front of the garage door. It really spruces up the neighbourhood.