• Mar 10th, 2020 9:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15680 posts
4736 upvotes
London

Peel Waste Bins - User Fees Survey

Region of Peel wants your opinion on possible user fees based on your bin selection

Old thread bin selection thread
peel-residents-waste-bin-selection-1702855/
mrweather wrote: You severely underestimate the creativity of government when they're hunting for new "revenue tools".

Peel Region effectively implemented an extra fee a decade ago when they went to the two-bag limit, forcing you to buy stickers for additional bags. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from adding a new fee to your regional tax bill based on the size of your garbage bin.
From the old thread

There was speculation that user fees based on your bin size selection could happen eventually

Fill out the user survey - till Sunday March 15

https://www.peelwasteworkshop.ca/?utm_s ... te-consult

.....We want to hear your thoughts on what you think is important for us to consider. We also want your feedback on examples of various user fees being used in North America and Europe.....
Last edited by l69norm on Mar 10th, 2020 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1175 posts
1150 upvotes
West GTA
I think it's a great idea. They should have a modest fee on bin size to encourage less garbage. Their risk is to make it TOO high, where people will start illegally dumping.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1600 posts
1560 upvotes
GTA
grumble wrote: I think it's a great idea. They should have a modest fee on bin size to encourage less garbage. Their risk is to make it TOO high, where people will start illegally dumping.
Like in Toronto where high bin size fees are in place. Many city park waste bins are full of people’s household garbage. As well people start putting garbage in their recycle bins contaminating the process.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4132 posts
1490 upvotes
GTA
If they want to start charging for bin sizes i'll make sure to dump my grass clippings into the bin since they don't want to collect that anymore.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15680 posts
4736 upvotes
London
shabby wrote: If they want to start charging for bin sizes i'll make sure to dump my grass clippings into the bin since they don't want to collect that anymore.
The contractor for Peel started dumping clippings out last summer. If there was any clippings in the bins that they could see, it got dumped out on the ground at the curb
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4132 posts
1490 upvotes
GTA
l69norm wrote: The contractor for Peel started dumping clippings out last summer. If there was any clippings in the bins that they could see, it got dumped out on the ground at the curb
The lids are closed and you'd put them at the bottom of the bin, they don't see anything.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15680 posts
4736 upvotes
London
shabby wrote: The lids are closed and you'd put them at the bottom of the bin, they don't see anything.
I get the truck where they load the bin at the back of the truck. When he dumps the bin into the truck, he scoops clippings out of the truck and onto the ground
Last edited by l69norm on Mar 9th, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1765 posts
291 upvotes
Pluto
l69norm wrote: I get the truck where they load the bin at the back of the truck. When he dumps the bin into the truck, he scoops clippings out of the truck and onto onto the ground
That seems like a massive waste of time lol

If this happens (fee) I'll just bring my garbage to work each day and dispose of it there.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4132 posts
1490 upvotes
GTA
l69norm wrote: I get the truck where they load the bin at the back of the truck. When he dumps the bin into the truck, he scoops clippings out of the truck and onto the ground
Peel trucks lift the bins through the top, no ones looking through anything.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15680 posts
4736 upvotes
London
shabby wrote: Peel trucks lift the bins through the top, no ones looking through anything.

No, not all Peel trucks

Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3385 posts
526 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
grumble wrote: I think it's a great idea. They should have a modest fee on bin size to encourage less garbage. Their risk is to make it TOO high, where people will start illegally dumping.
I read recently that in Gatineau they switched to one modest sized bin, no size selection. Optionally you can get a lock for the bin. All the old garbage bins had to go into the garbage along with any unused garbage bags. Things have gone overboard when you reach that point.

Frankly they determined long ago household waste isn't the big garbage issue it's all the garbage produced by renovations, demolition and new construction. Ever seen an old photo of the city you live in? The "change" is truly mind boggling and of course the garbage produced by that change is mind boggling. That's just the visible change, add the mind boggling number of renovations in a city and there's your garbage problem. Frankly if they want to do something about all that garbage they need to introduce a very very hefty renovation and renewal garbage tax. Not a nice prospect but honestly if you really want to reduce garbage the fees or tax would need to be in the order of thousands, to tens of thousands, to hundreds of thousands to even millions of dollars depending on the renovation or renewal. The tax would have to be high enough to discourage it or make it unviable.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5115 posts
2531 upvotes
fergy wrote: I read recently that in Gatineau they switched to one modest sized bin, no size selection. Optionally you can get a lock for the bin. All the old garbage bins had to go into the garbage along with any unused garbage bags. Things have gone overboard when you reach that point.

Frankly they determined long ago household waste isn't the big garbage issue it's all the garbage produced by renovations, demolition and new construction. Ever seen an old photo of the city you live in? The "change" is truly mind boggling and of course the garbage produced by that change is mind boggling. That's just the visible change, add the mind boggling number of renovations in a city and there's your garbage problem. Frankly if they want to do something about all that garbage they need to introduce a very very hefty renovation and renewal garbage tax. Not a nice prospect but honestly if you really want to reduce garbage the fees or tax would need to be in the order of thousands, to tens of thousands, to hundreds of thousands to even millions of dollars depending on the renovation or renewal. The tax would have to be high enough to discourage it or make it unviable.
Unfortunately that will never happen and would lead to even more illegal dumping . It’s much easier to charge/limit the little man
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4132 posts
1490 upvotes
GTA
l69norm wrote:

No, not all Peel trucks

The ones around here do, those ones look so inefficient.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15680 posts
4736 upvotes
London
Getting back to the survey on user fees, the interesting one is fees by weight where the truck weighs the bin before dumping. Each bin has an optical bar code/ serial number.

I’m not sure how reliable a “pay by weight” system would be in harsh winter conditions. Imagine if you had water leak into your bin and freeze

The “pay by bin” size system seems less fair as people with 1/2 empty bins subsidize those that always fill to the brim
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12211 posts
1131 upvotes
Brampton
l69norm wrote: Getting back to the survey on user fees, the interesting one is fees by weight where the truck weighs the bin before dumping. Each bin has an optical bar code/ serial number.

I’m not sure how reliable a “pay by weight” system would be in harsh winter conditions. Imagine if you had water leak into your bin and freeze

The “pay by bin” size system seems less fair as people with 1/2 empty bins subsidize those that always fill to the brim
What if you have the large size bin but never fill it up? Can you exchange it for a medium sized bin without paying exchange fee?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!