Peeling Ontario License Plate

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2020 8:30 pm
[OP]
Dec 21, 2019
38 posts
3 upvotes

Peeling Ontario License Plate

Hey! My Ontario license plate has been peeling and I understand that these can be returned if defective for up to 5 years.

My 5 years ends this week and all my local service Ontario locations have been closed for over a month now. I do not see anything on the website regarding this either. No online process for this either.

Any idea on what I should do? Not sure if they’ll accept it whenever they open as it will be past the 5 year mark.

Thanks.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2546 posts
1807 upvotes
Markham
Contact Service Ontario's call centers. 416-326-1234 or the toll free number 1-800-267-8097. Hopefully they give you info in regards to this.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2019
38 posts
3 upvotes
JeganV wrote: Contact Service Ontario's call centers. 416-326-1234 or the toll free number 1-800-267-8097. Hopefully they give you info in regards to this.
No info about it on the automatic messages. Will call back Monday morning.

Service Ontario website says not to visit any of the open locations unless absolutely necessary. Since the license plate is still in ok condition and readable, I’m assuming it’s not absolutely necessary to visit one of the open ones further away. Hopefully I’m still covered!

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6984 posts
1335 upvotes
Scarborough
Just keep driving. Many others have same almost unreadable plates. New blue ones are worse lol
[OP]
Dec 21, 2019
38 posts
3 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: Just keep driving. Many others have same almost unreadable plates. New blue ones are worse lol
I thought they reverted back to the original white plates because if the issues with the blue ones?
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
557 upvotes
M1C
Emily0123 wrote: I thought they reverted back to the original white plates because if the issues with the blue ones?
They stopped issuing the blue plates but, the replacement will be flat and have a RFID chip

Read thread New Ontario license plate
[OP]
Dec 21, 2019
38 posts
3 upvotes
Soichiro wrote: They stopped issuing the blue plates but, the replacement will be flat and have a RFID chip

Read thread New Ontario license plate
Damn. Sounds like their going to be introducing the chips in the new plates which means their not in circulation yet at the Service Ontario locations?

Thinking of driving to a further location and grabbing one before those RFID plates go into circulation....
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54410 posts
19256 upvotes
Can we get fined leaving peeling B plates as they are?
[OP]
Dec 21, 2019
38 posts
3 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Can we get fined leaving peeling B plates as they are?
I think it would depend on how bad it is. If it is no longer readable at all then I guess you could technically get fined.

My license plate is also a B series plate. How do we know if it is one of the peeling defective sets?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54410 posts
19256 upvotes
Emily0123 wrote: I think it would depend on how bad it is. If it is no longer readable at all then I guess you could technically get fined.

My license plate is also a B series plate. How do we know if it is one of the peeling defective sets?
The old B plates I surrendered for personalized ones didn't suffer peeling but I have seen quite a few peeling and I think one day, those drivers will be paying a fine.

Not sure which batches are defective.

Same reason I took all plate covers advertising dealerships away when I found out it could be a ground for a ticket.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1542 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville
Emily0123 wrote: How do we know if it is one of the peeling defective sets?
I've heard that mostly mid-alphabet series were affected - i.e. it was not an isssue on early B-series, and was fixed on finals.
For example, I was holding BDxx plate for a long while, and it was perfectly good till the end (replaced by Cxxx); my special one had BExx and it was good, and later she had BRxx and it was peeling.

And BTW answering your original question - she was able to replace her peeling BRxx with the new one (Cxxx) free of charge soon after expiration period, and it happened last year - so I guess you would be able to do the same as well, taking in consideration current situation...
May 17, 2006
522 posts
87 upvotes
Emily0123 wrote: Hey! My Ontario license plate has been peeling and I understand that these can be returned if defective for up to 5 years.

My 5 years ends this week and all my local service Ontario locations have been closed for over a month now. I do not see anything on the website regarding this either. No online process for this either.

Any idea on what I should do? Not sure if they’ll accept it whenever they open as it will be past the 5 year mark.

Thanks.
I replaced my BNxx plates in Feb, 8 years after getting them. No charge. They were half peeled. Got the blue series plates. A week later the "scandal" broke. I simply drove to the facility, removed the plates, brought them in, and asked if they could be replaced for free. No problems at all.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14330 posts
8733 upvotes
Toronto
BS plate here, looks like a lump of skin in a fire. So bad, it now might cause the sticker to fall off.

:lol:
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28013 posts
8451 upvotes
Meanwhile cheese-weasel cops often give out tickets and/or harass people for plate covers, even clear ones :rolleyes: Bro I'm doing you a favour since you know my plates are several years old and they still look like new; meanwhile everyone without a cover their plates look like shit and you can barely read them--why not go after those people? Oh right it's 'cause you just want something to pull over whomever you feel like instead of actually thinking about what's actually better in reality.

I mean not that it happens often but it happens to people with covers all the time with the dumb obligatory lecture about how it needs to be taken off or next time it's a ticket or some crap :rolleyes: Instead of understanding the plate is actually looking new and fully readable and worrying about the clowns that don't give a crap about their plate being illegible, it's just stupidity instead. Also what about, I dunno, going after the province for having the plates made for 3 cents and selling them for $60 which was plain robbery. Yeah just sell cheap shitty plates to people at high dollar then say later "oh yeah we'll replace those I guess" and also have cops pull more revenue from this racket by ticketing people trying to make the best of said shitty plates. Then make some new plates which is another blunder/debacle. Seriously all these clowns--past, present, police cronies, etc.--should be jailed--let 'em do some time and see if they'll keep up the foolishness.

These plate shens have been going on a long time in this province, long before the "blue plate" stuff.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2388 posts
601 upvotes
Ontario
Just take it to service Ontario. They will replace it. I just replaced one that was over 5 years.