Travel

PEI visit with young kids: Stay at Charlottetown and drive, or stay at multiple places?

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2017 10:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21008 posts
7352 upvotes
Toronto

PEI visit with young kids: Stay at Charlottetown and drive, or stay at multiple places?

Going in June to PEI with wife and two little kids (age 2 and 4), for a week. Where should I stay? Charlottetown and drive everywhere? Or else Charlottetown for a few days and then go elsewhere for a few more days? (I have to be in Charlottetown for a few days since those few days are work related.)
3 replies
Sep 1, 2015
253 posts
85 upvotes
Charlottetown a few days and stay the rest in Cavendish. Lots to see and do. Very "touristy" but a lot to do with young kids. You can travel from Charlottetown as well(not far, about 40 min drive). A lot of nice spots along the coast. PEI preserves restaurant in New Glasgow have the best desserts!
Apr 7, 2009
107 posts
37 upvotes
PEI
In June the water is too cold for beaching. Charlottetown is central - 2 hours to the furthest northwest you can go, and about the same the furthest northeast. If your children are good in the car, I'd recommend staying in Charlottetown. Cavendish is a tourist trap and without the attraction to the water, it's pretty much just expensive!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21008 posts
7352 upvotes
Toronto
cocreg wrote: Charlottetown a few days and stay the rest in Cavendish. Lots to see and do. Very "touristy" but a lot to do with young kids. You can travel from Charlottetown as well(not far, about 40 min drive). A lot of nice spots along the coast. PEI preserves restaurant in New Glasgow have the best desserts!
sweetsimplicity64 wrote: In June the water is too cold for beaching. Charlottetown is central - 2 hours to the furthest northwest you can go, and about the same the furthest northeast. If your children are good in the car, I'd recommend staying in Charlottetown. Cavendish is a tourist trap and without the attraction to the water, it's pretty much just expensive!
Hmmm... Conflicting advice. :)

I'm inclined to stay more of the time in Charlottetown and less in Cavendish, but my wife wants more like half-half. We'll be about a week in PEI. According to Google Maps Cavendish is only 36 minutes away by car, which is the same time for my commute to work and the daycare every day, each direction. :D

Good to know the beach is too cold then, but my wife likes the idea of renting a cottage. With the two young kids they can sometimes be loud, so a private cottage seems practical, and we can cook in them too. The drawback is for some we won't have the great breakfasts that some of the B&Bs are famous for.

We do want to see some of those tourist transactions, or rather, we think they may interest the kids. However, I'm thinking two nights in Cavendish might be plenty.