Peloton Bike - $1,895 ($600 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2021 11:52 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
4095 posts
1126 upvotes
bostonontario wrote: I thought I read a thread a while back where people would buy a superior quality spin bike and then use an iPad or tv screen for the class with the monthly subscription to save a few more bucks and come ahead with a better spin bike.

I could be totally wrong but I wanted to chime in.
You can sync the peloton app with other spin bikes and the monthly cost is cheaper ($16.99)
It's not all the same features that you would get with an actual Peloton bike + subscription, but it does the trick
Ebay - 279 - 0 - 0
Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
BST Feedback - 82 - 0 - 0
Grailed - 95 - 0 - 0
Poshmark and Styleforum Feedback as well
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22955 posts
178785 upvotes
GTA
bostonontario wrote: I thought I read a thread a while back where people would buy a superior quality spin bike and then use an iPad or tv screen for the class with the monthly subscription to save a few more bucks and come ahead with a better spin bike.

That is correct - the Peloton Digital subscription is a fraction of the cost ($17/month) and has the same workouts/content. The difference is that since you are not transmitting your performance stats (i.e. you are using your own equipment), there is no opportunity to be recognized by your instructor ("I see you Jamie in Ottawa") or appear on a leaderboard. For some people, this provides some additional motivation, as it is closer to a true live, in class experience.
Additionally, you will have to convert the resistance settings from the Peloton bike to whatever bike you are using and adjust accordingly.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1780 posts
1992 upvotes
West GTA
I got the Bowflex c6 (near-identical to the Schwinn IC4) as an alternative to the Peloton - it's several hundred less than this bike, post-tax. I hooked up a tablet with the app, and the bike's cadence and heart sensors match flawlessly. The app subscription costs under 20/month, and the same subscription on the bike costs over 50/month.

Honestly, the Bowflex is a really nice spin bike. Better flywheel than the peloton, can hook it up to other apps if you'd like as well (say apple fitness, etc.), and the tablet being portable is actually a good thing - Peloton has tried to get more workouts off the bike (bodyweight stuff, yoga, meditation, etc.), and being able to just move the tablet quickly from the bike to wherever you want in the room or eventually travel with it is great. You could buy the Bowflex or Schwinn, a new iPad and still be in the black versus the upfront cost of this.

I also like the cheaper ongoing subscription - the difference adds up to a few hundred a year - and the pedals don't require you invest in bike shoes right away (though they do have SPD clips and you'll want them once you have visibility on using them).

You miss out on the 'power level' stuff, and you are unlikely to get shoutouts from instructors - other than that, it's the full experience pretty much and I'd get it hands down over the Peloton if I had to get it again.
Jul 8, 2013
314 posts
72 upvotes
Montreal
kazkira wrote: Pretty good price, thinking of returning my schwinn for this..
Why? Schwinn IC4 is just as good, only you get with the Peloton is the screen and leaderboard. Just chromecast to a TV it’s much better than the screen.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2533 posts
1056 upvotes
North York
I see a lot of people discounting the leaderboard but personally I think it was a big reason for my success on the bike. I didn't think it would be but the "competition" truly pushes me to go harder and the social component of my friends seeing that I'm riding adds to the accountability for me.

I was wondering about how the leaderboard works on zwift? I guess with the resistance trainer thing, everyone is doing the same course / equipment so you can still be seeing how you stack up on group rides or time trials? Do you manually adjust the resistance with a remote or is there some usb controller instructed by the software? I feel like this might have worked for me too.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1204 posts
259 upvotes
dbzkid777 wrote: Why? Schwinn IC4 is just as good, only you get with the Peloton is the screen and leaderboard. Just chromecast to a TV it’s much better than the screen.
For some, not all, such as myself the seamless experience and the better customer service should anything goes wrong with the bike may be worth the premium. I'm still considering it. Might end up taking peloton up on their trial offer and see which I prefer.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4180 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
Bike+ doesn't seem worth it anymore now that's it's $1400 more.

Apparently you can buy a $50 adapter to make the screen swivel on the regular bike
Jun 6, 2010
3 posts
4 upvotes
toronto
[...]
I’ve been using my own schwinn bike with Peloton for a year and a half now. I love the platform and I’ve gotten myself into a great strength and cardio routine. I decided to take advantage of the deal because the cycling was my least favourite part of the platform (I am a former spin instructor so I love indoor cycling). I just found I was missing the metrics those would be so motivating to me. Being able to pass others or keep pace with others gives me the accountability that I missed from being in an indoor group cycling class - but way better!

Some people love the gym, but I always found “getting there” was the hardest part. With equipment in my house, I find it much harder to find an excuse to not work out.

Everyone’s different though.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 27th, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not allowed
Aug 18, 2010
317 posts
349 upvotes
WearAMaskBro wrote: Look at this Yesoul S3 and then compare with this Peloton, am I tweakin or do you pay $1400 just for the touchscreen?

Yesoul S3 Spinning Cycling Bike-Belt Drive Indoor Magnetic Exercise Bike Indoor Stationary Bike Home Cardio Gym Workout (Black)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08R5N5VML/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
That one has a flywheel that weighs 16.5lb and the peloton has a flywheel that weighs 35lb, probably not going to feel great as you get better at cycling. If you want a cheaper peloton alternative that is simular in quality you could look at the schwinn ic4 it often goes down to $999, it comes with a small screen that shows your bike stats so all you need is a tablet or TV. If that's still too expensive you can get the echelon connect which is quite a good bike, but you'd still likely be using the peloton app with it as I've heard the echelon app is compared to a bike class on a cruise.
Last edited by deniv on Aug 27th, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 24, 2009
21 posts
35 upvotes
Terrace
[...] however, we just cancelled our membership, so you may not want this bike unless you're huge into spinning. $50/month is just too much for us, so I'm going to load the peloton app on the bike and do the $7/month app cost instead. It's a GREAT bike - the hardware is fantastic and if you're really into biking, it's a great investment! Just not for us hahah.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 27th, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not allowed
Jul 7, 2005
269 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa

Yes.. I have a Bowflex spin bike and ride to scenic videos or classes on YouTube on my iPad and I float an app called mpaceline (~$25/yr subscription) to the side to visualize and track stats.
C8D0551D-6811-4178-B15E-88A1B64F56FF.jpeg
733507C3-F440-4A6A-9D0E-CD5B4D744A6E.jpeg
Last edited by letterip on Aug 27th, 2021 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aug 18, 2010
317 posts
349 upvotes
One thing to keep in mind for people who are iffy on the price and want to add some RFD spice to this, they deliver it to you assembled, and if you don't like it within 30 days you can ask them to come pick it up so you can return it. I would say if you aren't using it at least 3-4 times a week during the first 30 days it's probably not worth it.
Oct 1, 2007
320 posts
76 upvotes
toguy wrote: That is correct - the Peloton Digital subscription is a fraction of the cost ($17/month) and has the same workouts/content. The difference is that since you are not transmitting your performance stats (i.e. you are using your own equipment), there is no opportunity to be recognized by your instructor ("I see you Jamie in Ottawa") or appear on a leaderboard. For some people, this provides some additional motivation, as it is closer to a true live, in class experience.
Additionally, you will have to convert the resistance settings from the Peloton bike to whatever bike you are using and adjust accordingly.
You actually can get a shout-out on the app! The only big difference is you dont have access to the leaderboard to compare your rides to others. If you're super competitive its a great feature, otherwise I think the digital app does the job just fine.
Mar 7, 2011
455 posts
588 upvotes
I use peloton app with $299.97 Costco foldable treadmill. So far so good.
Oct 8, 2007
267 posts
238 upvotes
Ontario
I was pretty decided on the IC4, plus a tablet, and then a subscription to Peloton, or some other app, but this is making me reconsider.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
5089 posts
3101 upvotes
Not for everybody, but we use ours ~5x/week each. It's a bit pricey at $600/yr, but enjoy the interaction and whatnot. Got my into cycling and I now ride outdoors quite a bit.

I rarely do live rides (my wife does and enjoys them), so in hindsight I think the IC4 + Peloton app would have been better for me, but hindsight is 20/20. Not unhappy with our purchase, as it's for our health, but I do think if you aren't doing a lot of live rides then AFAIK the 3rd party bike + app is pretty solid. I think if you have 2 riders you have to pay twice, unless you share an account? so savings are between ~$16 and $32.

I think if you use it, it's worth it. for $50/month I almost force myself (and enjoy it) to use it. For $17/month I may not be as motivated, as stupid as that sounds.
Feb 8, 2011
634 posts
535 upvotes
Toronto
acidburn09 wrote: You gotta pay like 50$ / month for their membership in order to get content on their screen/tablet right ?
Every subscription models will fail as consumer is no longer interested in commitment.

Look at Blue apron and others. Time to wake up.
Dec 29, 2020
73 posts
62 upvotes
Just get a bike and a trainer, will cost you less and you can ride outside as well, no crazy subscription fees either. They don't make much money from selling the bike but the subscriptions.