Peloton Bike - $1,895 ($600 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2021 11:52 am
Tags:
Jul 31, 2008
416 posts
220 upvotes
Markham
I still use the "original" version of Peloton: the Computrainer (90's tech, and well built, amazingly it still works with Zwift today). I would never buy Peloton as it is not for me. If others find it helps them get fit, fine by me.

When I wanted to treat myself to a new trainer last fall, I bought some Kreitler rollers on Amazon. Was a great deal, and the workout is incredible. I highly recommend rollers if you want to truly get better on the bike, While the scenery etc. is nice, at some point it is exactly like Greg Lemond said "It does not get any easier, you just go faster".

Sample deal (mine was for the all alloy version, for a bit more).
https://www.amazon.ca/Kreitler-Challeng ... 050&sr=8-3
Feb 20, 2006
410 posts
297 upvotes
BoraS57395 wrote: Just get a bike and a trainer, will cost you less and you can ride outside as well, no crazy subscription fees either. They don't make much money from selling the bike but the subscriptions.
It is not for you doesn't mean it is not a good deal. $1800 first generation vs $3200 2nd generation is a good deal for those who wants it. The subscription fee is not bad for those who don't have time to go to the gym and have more than one member in the family want to use it. I personally really like class with instructor than just numbers from trainerroad.
Mar 19, 2016
638 posts
596 upvotes
canada
kazkira wrote: Pretty good price, thinking of returning my schwinn for this..
Being locked to their ecosystem and having to pay more are all reasons I went with an IC4 and I don't think id give that up personally.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2767 posts
1809 upvotes
If you can afford it and you use it to be healthy, it's worth it. If you don't need it because you are able to be healthy using something else, then it's not worth it for you. Can we just agree that people should try to be healthy by whatever means works for them? Would sure help our Healthcare system out...
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3426 posts
2597 upvotes
GTA
While I agree on a bike+trainer being a more versatile solution, it's not going to be cheaper than the Peloton bike.

First person to mention this indicated that a turbo trainer can be had for $100-500 which is true, but it will be a "dumb" fluid trainer. For Zwift and other interactive apps, you really want a "smart" trainer. You're looking at $1000ish for decent one of those on it's own. Throw in a decent bike and that's another $1,000. Add on other accessories like a heart rate monitor, shoes, etc and it becomes a slippery slope...
Feb 28, 2011
558 posts
1156 upvotes
ottawa
hchai wrote: It is not for you doesn't mean it is not a good deal. $1800 first generation vs $3200 2nd generation is a good deal for those who wants it. The subscription fee is not bad for those who don't have time to go to the gym and have more than one member in the family want to use it. I personally really like class with instructor than just numbers from trainerroad.
Personally, I don’t care for peloton but, I can see people who want just to get the subscription and just workout without going through multiple steps to get to peloton from another ecosystem. Their bikes are well made and their business model is respectable.

Never mind the price difference between the bike and bike+, automatic resistance function on bike+ is a great feature and if you never tried and think it’s not a big deal, just try. Especially for FIIT types of workouts with short intervals where you really wish you don’t have to reach to change the resistance every time the instructor calls.

Another point with the included screen tablet option. I know with peloton you can’t avoid it but, their tablet OS is android and, as usually happen with these types of appliances, their android versions get outdated quickly and in few years may become a real problem, be it a security or, compatibility with web services etc. As an example my six year old nordictrack treadmill has old android version and absolutely unusable and unsupported. I turned off Wi-Fi on it because that version of android has become vulnerable to various hacking attacks.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2532 posts
1056 upvotes
North York
N8Magic wrote: While I agree on a bike+trainer being a more versatile solution, it's not going to be cheaper than the Peloton bike.

First person to mention this indicated that a turbo trainer can be had for $100-500 which is true, but it will be a "dumb" fluid trainer. For Zwift and other interactive apps, you really want a "smart" trainer. You're looking at $1000ish for decent one of those on it's own. Throw in a decent bike and that's another $1,000. Add on other accessories like a heart rate monitor, shoes, etc and it becomes a slippery slope...
Thanks for this info, it helps reassure me that there was not so serious of a savings opportunity and to even save a bit, it's quite a bit of DIY tinkering and arranging a less solid set up. The reason the peloton worked for me is cause no fuss, no excuse, just put on the shoes and get sweaty.

[...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 27th, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: not allowed
Feb 15, 2003
89 posts
61 upvotes
If you think this is expensive then you should look up the cost of a single Soul Cycle class.

Hint, it's $30 per class. Just 1 class per week and you're at $120/month. Most people go more often than that.

Soul Cycle classes are often completely sold out and have a waitlist. This is the type customer that Peloton appeals to.
Feb 20, 2006
410 posts
297 upvotes
N8Magic wrote: While I agree on a bike+trainer being a more versatile solution, it's not going to be cheaper than the Peloton bike.

Zwift is $18.99/month for one member as well and you can't share it with your family member. Bike trainer with your own bike also only works for you, not anyone else in the family. It is also not a good setup for people not care about FTP and just want to be motivated and get a good workout. The smart bike trainers are for a different market(more serious biker) and imo is not comparable to peloton.
Nov 5, 2015
206 posts
145 upvotes
Montreal, QC
FYI : I spoke with customer service, anyone who purchased the Peloton Bike as of July 27, 2021 or later is eligible for this price discount, i.e., they will refund you the $600+tax.
Feb 28, 2011
558 posts
1156 upvotes
ottawa

For a smart trainer get a $1000 echelon EX3 bike and $5 QZ app. You will not get cobble stone ride effect and wind but, ERG mode ride, uphill and downhill rides work great, all metrics as well.

Plus Zwift or other bike subs of course
Last edited by gena_mak on Aug 27th, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1204 posts
259 upvotes
Took the plunge and ordered it, if I hate it or don't feel it's worth the premium I'll just keep the Schwinn. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Nov 10, 2015
341 posts
310 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
The people who are bashing the Peloton have clearly never used one. Take one class and you're hooked. It's a premium work out bike, not designed to be "cheap". You can hack together a cheaper bike with their app but the bike with integrated classes is so fluid and I find keeping up with the trainer is so immersive.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3737 posts
5351 upvotes
Canada
kammj1 wrote: The people who are bashing the Peloton have clearly never used one. Take one class and you're hooked. It's a premium work out bike, not designed to be "cheap". You can hack together a cheaper bike with their app but the bike with integrated classes is so fluid and I find keeping up with the trainer is so immersive.
It may be a nice product but it's clearly for rich people. You can get an entire gym system for this price.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1832 posts
1248 upvotes
Calgary
arkangil wrote: I was pretty decided on the IC4, plus a tablet, and then a subscription to Peloton, or some other app, but this is making me reconsider.
Honestly, I did a cheap bike with the app... worked ok for about 6 months.
But I found the resistence settings cryptic without having the peleton itself. my bike just had a res knob and no percentages.

if you plan on doing this path, make sure the bike you choose does 0-100% resistence settings so it's comparable to the peleton for verbal instructions.

in the end I just bought the Peloton and sold the cheaper bike.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
1982 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Don't want to step on anyone's toes or derail the thread, but if you're looking to buy a spin bike at this price point, I highly recommend looking into the Keiser M3i. Personally, I think it's the better spin bike. For software though, Peloton definitely has the better app.
Jul 21, 2013
108 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
For sure not for everyone. The initial purchase price + ~$600/year is not cheap at all.

But it has helped keep us active during COVID and while I do other classes or play sports, it's a good way to workout quickly when I don't want to leave the house. If you have more than one person in the household using it regularly, of course it's better value.

I also really value the ability to share the digital version with all my friends - some of them have another bike or just want access to the floor workouts and I'm happy to be able to offer it to them for free.
Dec 4, 2008
46 posts
18 upvotes
arkangil wrote: I was pretty decided on the IC4, plus a tablet, and then a subscription to Peloton, or some other app, but this is making me reconsider.
My wife and I got an Echelon and use our iPad with the Peleton app ($17 for 3 month summer offer, $17/month after). There's an app on the App Store called qDomyos-Zwift that automatically does the resistance conversions for you and can connect to the Peleton classes for automatic resistances (when the instructor calls to change them, it changes). I haven't looked into if the app works with the IC4 but might be worth looking into. The monthly savings alone weren't the only benefit - but not being locked into 1 specific app, the ability to free ride or do Zwift/whatever else comes up in the future was the main difference maker for us.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Miller.Time