Peloton Bike - $1,895 ($600 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2021 11:52 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1204 posts
259 upvotes
Shabutie wrote: My wife and I got an Echelon and use our iPad with the Peleton app ($17 for 3 month summer offer, $17/month after). There's an app on the App Store called qDomyos-Zwift that automatically does the resistance conversions for you and can connect to the Peleton classes for automatic resistances (when the instructor calls to change them, it changes). I haven't looked into if the app works with the IC4 but might be worth looking into. The monthly savings alone weren't the only benefit - but not being locked into 1 specific app, the ability to free ride or do Zwift/whatever else comes up in the future was the main difference maker for us.
How do you find the auto resistance changes on the bike especially when the instructor asks you to add 1-3 to the resistance? Is it nice and smooth? Just curious because the echelon's resistance is like 1-33 or something which is a bit more limited vs. Peloton or schiwinn's 1-100.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15042 posts
9439 upvotes
Toronto
skrateboard wrote: Even on sale this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 1,000 on a solid road bike, 100-500+ on a solid Turbo Trainer, and a sub of $19 per month for Zwift still makes a hell of a lot more sense and you can easily still come out beneath what Peloton is charging. Plus you can always find ways to make this cheaper by going with a cheaper trainer or buying used.

You actually get a piece of equipment you can house in the winter and train on, then use that same equipment in the summer to actually go on legit rides while paying ~30 bucks less per month, which could go into upgrading/tuning parts on the bike you're actively using.
And don't forget to be that asshat that doesn't follow the rules of the road and rages on cars during said legit rides. Dem folk should really get bigger sized spandex, I think it's pulling their crotches too tight and gets em really next lvl.

BTW, did you type that out on a $2000 cell phone?
kammj1 wrote: The people who are bashing the Peloton have clearly never used one. Take one class and you're hooked. It's a premium work out bike, not designed to be "cheap". You can hack together a cheaper bike with their app but the bike with integrated classes is so fluid and I find keeping up with the trainer is so immersive.
You're first peloton thread? But you're right, meanwhile, these are the same posters are probably drooling over Xiaomi or UMIDIGI cell phone from China.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
1391 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a Peloton and then sold it. Just wasn't a huge fan of spending longer then 10 minutes on it. Got a bit bored. What I found most surprising was the live classes, there are times where there are 3-4 hr gaps between live classes. You would think with how much money they are making and Peloton's being used around the world, there would be a live class every 30 minutes - 1 hour. Yes I understand you can just join a pre-recorded class, but I thought the pull of Peloton was all about the live classes.
Last edited by desm0nd on Aug 27th, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6520 posts
2169 upvotes
Im waiting for the peleton ebike.
Oct 7, 2003
413 posts
208 upvotes
desm0nd wrote: I bought a Peloton and then sold it. Just wasn't a huge fan of spending longer then 10 minutes on it. Got a bit bored. What I found most surprising was the live classes, there are times where there are 3-4 hr gaps between live classes. You would think with how much money they are making and Peloton's being used around the world, there would be a live class every 30 minutes - 1 hour. Yes I understand you can just join a pre-recorded class, but I thought the pull of Peloton was all about the live classes.
You want a live class every 30-60mins? You think these instructors are robots or something

Even if U go to a regular gym or something there’s not classes that often….that’s crazy

I have one and it’s been a life saver…ride hours a week and heading in to my 8th month…I am glad I did not get the bike+ for the auto resistance…I always find myself cranking it higher than what the instructor says
Apr 12, 2013
206 posts
103 upvotes
Went with the Schwinn IC4 ($1,000) and Peloton Digital App ($17/mo) - Bike is being shipped so my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt. I've been using the app for about a week now for strength/cardio videos and it's been engaging enough to keep me doing it.

I downloaded the app on my Roku TV & an Ipad. The Ipad has a lot more to offer so I find myself screen mirroring to the TV most often.

For me it was between DIY and Nordictrack s22i/s15i. I was swayed by the price difference, someone also mentioned in a video review that some of the bike boot camp sessions will go from bike to floor exercises & they didn't like the idea of having to change shoes since you need clips for the Peloton bike.

As another post mentioned, whichever method gets you to develop healthy patterns is a win.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1204 posts
259 upvotes
SeaQuake wrote: Went with the Schwinn IC4 ($1,000) and Peloton Digital App ($17/mo) - Bike is being shipped so my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt. I've been using the app for about a week now for strength/cardio videos and it's been engaging enough to keep me doing it.

I downloaded the app on my Roku TV & an Ipad. The Ipad has a lot more to offer so I find myself screen mirroring to the TV most often.

For me it was between DIY and Nordictrack s22i/s15i. I was swayed by the price difference, someone also mentioned in a video review that some of the bike boot camp sessions will go from bike to floor exercises & they didn't like the idea of having to change shoes since you need clips for the Peloton bike.

As another post mentioned, whichever method gets you to develop healthy patterns is a win.
I think you will find yourself clipping in with the schwinn as well, it's just better for your knees and more efficient overall but it's good that schwinn and echelon give you the option to do both.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
1391 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
Sw0op wrote: You want a live class every 30-60mins? You think these instructors are robots or something

Even if U go to a regular gym or something there’s not classes that often….that’s crazy

I have one and it’s been a life saver…ride hours a week and heading in to my 8th month…I am glad I did not get the bike+ for the auto resistance…I always find myself cranking it higher than what the instructor says
What...? Your comparing a single gym to an online spin + fitness platform with millions of users across the world in different time zones. If they don't have enough instructors to run classes every 30-60 minutes, they should hire more.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5648 posts
4723 upvotes
yorkhvac wrote: Every subscription models will fail as consumer is no longer interested in commitment.

Look at Blue apron and others. Time to wake up.
Subscription model is far from failing and what people and companies demand now

SaaS is huge and even CT is rolling it out to compete with other subscription places like Amazon, Costco etc
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2049 posts
1581 upvotes
Canada
EbonyRose wrote: Don't want to step on anyone's toes or derail the thread, but if you're looking to buy a spin bike at this price point, I highly recommend looking into the Keiser M3i. Personally, I think it's the better spin bike. For software though, Peloton definitely has the better app.
The Keiser is north of $2500~ this is $1800
Oct 7, 2003
413 posts
208 upvotes
desm0nd wrote: What...? Your comparing a single gym to an online spin + fitness platform with millions of users across the world in different time zones. If they don't have enough instructors to run classes every 30-60 minutes, they should hire more.
And what other apps have this? Peloton isn’t the only one with millions of users…to expect Ai be class every 30-60 mins is insane
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1495 posts
311 upvotes
yall need lessons and trainers to go biking? loool

"you can do it buddy"

"you're almost there"

- $50
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10423 posts
3066 upvotes
epik89 wrote: yall need lessons and trainers to go biking? loool

"you can do it buddy"

"you're almost there"

- $50
silly comment, personal training is a big industry. go ride your bike if you want, i will do both. some days i ride my mountain bike and somedays i will ride my spin bike, and since we have winter for 6 months a year, i will be riding my spin bike alot more.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1495 posts
311 upvotes
whats the personal training like on peloton then?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5242 posts
2746 upvotes
Northside
I personally love spinning and enjoy using the Peloton. Both my wife and I use it frequently so $50/month is not so bad.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5242 posts
2746 upvotes
Northside
Blubbs wrote: It may be a nice product but it's clearly for rich people. You can get an entire gym system for this price.
It's really not for 'rich' folks, tbh.

I consider myself average. My partner and I used to attend SPIN classes quite frequently (enjoyed them) but $25-$30/class per person can be quite pricey in the long run IMO.

$250 - $300/month for unlimited classes at SPINCO. Imagine if you do this for a year, that's like ~$6000 per couple.

Considering our employer also subsidizes a portion of the cost and the fact that we both love spinning, it was a no-brainer.

Just my two cents. Take care :)

[...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 27th, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9113 posts
10500 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Pretty hard to find them used for this price right now.
Oct 25, 2018
966 posts
999 upvotes
For me I own an Airdyne ad7....Love it, no subscriptions!
However, I don't care for companies that fight against recalls when their product offering kill.

Ikea recalled dressers because people were not smart enough to bolt them to the walls and kids were getting injured. The fact that Peleton fought against recalls because the open ended treadmill that was sucking kids and animals inside (killing some) was "safe".
Dec 29, 2020
73 posts
62 upvotes
hchai wrote: It is not for you doesn't mean it is not a good deal. $1800 first generation vs $3200 2nd generation is a good deal for those who wants it. The subscription fee is not bad for those who don't have time to go to the gym and have more than one member in the family want to use it. I personally really like class with instructor than just numbers from trainerroad.
Have I said it is a bad deal? Just gave my two cents to those who might be able to ride outside.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3128 posts
6368 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Pretty hard to find them used for this price right now.
If that's the case then I'm thinking we might be able to see $1300-$1500 on the used market soon?