Hot Deals

Peloton

Peloton Bike - $1,895 ($600 off)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2021 5:07 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5261 posts
2751 upvotes
Northside
BoraS57395 wrote: Have I said it is a bad deal? Just gave my two cents to those who might be able to ride outside.
"Just get a bike and a trainer, will cost you less and you can ride outside as well, no crazy subscription fees either."
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3855 posts
5552 upvotes
Canada
zaidyboy wrote: It's really not for 'rich' folks, tbh.

I consider myself average. My partner and I used to attend SPIN classes quite frequently (enjoyed them) but $25-$30/class per person can be quite pricey in the long run IMO.

$250 - $300/month for unlimited classes at SPINCO. Imagine if you do this for a year, that's like ~$6000 per couple.

Considering our employer also subsidizes a portion of the cost and the fact that we both love spinning, it was a no-brainer.

Just my two cents. Take care :)

[...]
Most people can't afford to spend $6000 a year on bullshit spin classes lol.

DINKs are not the norm. We enjoyed the DINK life for a while. Things change! But I don't necessarily blame people for spending money on fitness.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 27th, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 9, 2013
1883 posts
1645 upvotes
Ottawa
BoraS57395 wrote: Just get a bike and a trainer, will cost you less and you can ride outside as well, no crazy subscription fees either. They don't make much money from selling the bike but the subscriptions.
Bullshit. Try putting out 600-1000 watts on a bike trainer. You’ll fall over or break something.

The Peloton is a quality bike that happily serves me during intense workouts.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 13, 2013
959 posts
755 upvotes
Lord Denning wrote: Interesting the price drop looks to be permanent and an overreaction to post-COVID slowdown

Demand was off the chart at the beginning of the pandemic and they probably thought it would stay.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/27/2264 ... ion-prices
…or it’s due to the poor handling of the treadmill recall that the DHS and DOJ are now actively pursuing. That’s also mentioned in the article.
Lord Denning wrote: Peloton is an apple-like product/brand - you are paying to join the cult.
….or people just enjoy using their products, like the way they all interact and tolerate paying a premium to do so. That’s a pretty dismissive view of why people use their products.
Last edited by Wasp14 on Aug 27th, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
Dec 4, 2008
46 posts
19 upvotes
kazkira wrote: How do you find the auto resistance changes on the bike especially when the instructor asks you to add 1-3 to the resistance? Is it nice and smooth? Just curious because the echelon's resistance is like 1-33 or something which is a bit more limited vs. Peloton or schiwinn's 1-100.
It’s a tiny bit more restrictive for sure. Instructors will always call for a resistance range… so say between “40-45”. I can get the Echelon to 41-42 and 44 Peleton resistance, but can’t hit 40, 43 or 45. My app is setup to hit the median range that the instructor calls for, so in this case it would set to 42 Peleton Res. I haven’t really found that to be a big issue. For further context, I had never done a spin class before and was buying the bike for my wife, but I’ve used it every day since we got it. I’ve had far more fun with this form of cardio than I did with the treadmill for the last 3 years.
Member
Mar 3, 2012
278 posts
159 upvotes
Edmonton
I consider myself pretty hard core fitness fanatic - I've been hitting a lift, run, stairs, or interval training for 20 years daily and have missed maybe 60 days of a workout in that time frame of 20 years. I thought cycling was stupid and there was no way it would replace the feeling I got from a good compound lift or run. During the pandemic, I got to use Peloton and I bought a road bike with a nice aluminum/carbon build. BOTH have been really great. I can totally understand why people like the Peloton classes and trainers in particular- I have a fave one. I considered Echelon at some point and the other billion live classes. I also heavily read into the other spin bikes and standard bikes. I can understand now why people use Peleton. An important thing to recognize with working out is that if you are not inspired to do the workout, you won't do it, regardless of the medium. Of course you could have access to cheaper equipment- are you using it? If it works, and you have the money to spend on it, money going to physical fitness and mental health/well being is a small price to pay, considering how hard it is to get into the habit of regular fitness. Theres a lot of dismissive comments in here that I think are really missing the point that if people are motivated to get their workout in and they have the money do burn, why get mad about it?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1208 posts
262 upvotes
Shabutie wrote: It’s a tiny bit more restrictive for sure. Instructors will always call for a resistance range… so say between “40-45”. I can get the Echelon to 41-42 and 44 Peleton resistance, but can’t hit 40, 43 or 45. My app is setup to hit the median range that the instructor calls for, so in this case it would set to 42 Peleton Res. I haven’t really found that to be a big issue. For further context, I had never done a spin class before and was buying the bike for my wife, but I’ve used it every day since we got it. I’ve had far more fun with this form of cardio than I did with the treadmill for the last 3 years.
That actually sounds quite nice, getting the bike+ feature for around $1k with costco warranty is hard to beat. It's good we have different options to choose from for fitness be it echelon, schwinn or peloton. Honestly the people who are complaining about this deal is missing the point. A $600 price drop is a good deal, regardless of whether you think the product is overpriced to begin with or not.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
2211 posts
1572 upvotes
you can root the android system to play your own videos and watch netflix if you dont want to subscribe to the school's commando trainers.
Sr. Member
Jun 11, 2004
917 posts
108 upvotes
I've had a peloton for about 2 months, got it for under 2k on the used market. Bought it for my wife, but I end up using it more than her.

I workout 6 days a week, mostly strength/crossfit style workouts. I love using the peloton to finish the worksouts or active recovery day, but I always end up drenched in sweat trying to finish top 3 or beat my previous output. I maybe ride 2-3 times a week, and I look forward to it. Took about 10 rides to really take to it.

This is a deal forum, so dropping 2k plus $55 sub is tough to stomach, but if you ride a few times a week, the investment pays off in a few years.

Add me if you're on peloton username: fleabaggs
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10454 posts
3088 upvotes
i just did a 6 mile ride through tahiti on I-FIT and had a great workout. Instructor was awesome, scenery was awesome, workout was awesome.
Member
Jul 31, 2008
424 posts
232 upvotes
Markham
iflyplanes wrote: Bullshit. Try putting out 600-1000 watts on a bike trainer. You’ll fall over or break something.

The Peloton is a quality bike that happily serves me during intense workouts.
Pros use trainers. I could hit those power levels on my Computrainer at peak condition.
If you are driving 600-1000 consistently it may be time to quit your day job. :-)

As for the bike itself, I believe Peloton has fixed 170mm crankarms, and not sure about the bottom bracket width.
It also appears to have a very short top tube with limited adjustment range, and lousy bars.

Glad you like it, but it is not what I would consider a quality bike based on fit alone.
This is admittedly a very personal thing. I ride every day and fit is critical to my enjoyment.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Apr 8, 2021
136 posts
115 upvotes
Montreal
Apple needs to buy Peloton company Smiling Face With Heart-shaped Eyes
'2003
Newbie
Dec 29, 2020
93 posts
75 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote: Bullshit. Try putting out 600-1000 watts on a bike trainer. You’ll fall over or break something.

The Peloton is a quality bike that happily serves me during intense workouts.
Obviously you have never used a bike trainer. Not that you would be able to but there are bike trainers with 2500w max capacity for $1000. 600-1000w is nothing. Stop bullshitting people if you have no idea what you are talking about.
Newbie
Dec 29, 2020
93 posts
75 upvotes
zaidyboy wrote: "Just get a bike and a trainer, will cost you less and you can ride outside as well, no crazy subscription fees either."
There is better and worse, bike + decent trainer is a better deal in my book, and that doesn't make peloton deal is a "bad" deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6557 posts
2202 upvotes
ellisc wrote: I consider myself pretty hard core fitness fanatic - I've been hitting a lift, run, stairs, or interval training for 20 years daily and have missed maybe 60 days of a workout in that time frame of 20 years. I thought cycling was stupid and there was no way it would replace the feeling I got from a good compound lift or run. During the pandemic, I got to use Peloton and I bought a road bike with a nice aluminum/carbon build. BOTH have been really great. I can totally understand why people like the Peloton classes and trainers in particular- I have a fave one. I considered Echelon at some point and the other billion live classes. I also heavily read into the other spin bikes and standard bikes. I can understand now why people use Peleton. An important thing to recognize with working out is that if you are not inspired to do the workout, you won't do it, regardless of the medium. Of course you could have access to cheaper equipment- are you using it? If it works, and you have the money to spend on it, money going to physical fitness and mental health/well being is a small price to pay, considering how hard it is to get into the habit of regular fitness. Theres a lot of dismissive comments in here that I think are really missing the point that if people are motivated to get their workout in and they have the money do burn, why get mad about it?
A hardcore fitness fanatic didn't think cycling would be as good as a workout as a run?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1670 posts
499 upvotes
Toronto
Are bikes with no monthly subscription? Also include resistance.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 18, 2003
6531 posts
392 upvotes
Etobicoke
For those arguing the value of Peloton bikes remember this is a deals board. Not RedFlagPremium.

It is about achieving the same result or getting the same product for less money. Not about if premium features are worthwhile.

And, sometimes people won't know if premium features are worth the money until they've tried it. Years ago, I joined a premium gym/tennis club for $90/mo. They sold me on all the different fancy workout machines they had. For exercise bikes alone, they had 6 different types to choose from. After a few months of experimenting, I determined that my fav exercise bike is a Monark. A manual mechanical bike with a 20kg flywheel and no electronics. I tried spin classes too but dropped out after 2 weeks because it was held in a claustrophobic fishbowl of a room with 16 other male/females expelling CO2, sweat, pheromones and odour while an androgynous trainer yelled at us to go faster and me foaming at the mouth trying to keep up.

Some people actually like that and thinks $90/month is worth every penny. As for me, I bought one of the used Monarks for a song after the gym closed down. Years later, I'm still using it. There is nothing to break on that bike. Just repack the bearings every 2 years.

So, try the Peloton. And if you don't like it, consider it the cost of your education. Only you can decide if the cost is worth it.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1170 posts
616 upvotes
Toronto
Wasp14 wrote:
….or people just enjoy using their products, like the way they all interact and tolerate paying a premium to do so. That’s a pretty dismissive view of why people use their products.
Not a dismissive view - we are saying the same thing. Peloton has an insanely passionate fan base who happily pay extra. You pay a premium for the true peloton experience. It is a cult - by design. Do a quick google of peloton and cult you will see the product and fans described as being cult-like in almost every one. For example, https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/how-pel ... owing.html

Most peloton riders proudly admit to being cult members like my wife and I. Half of our wardrobe is peloton clothing. I joke that she talks about her peloton the say way that people talk about going to harvard. The question isn't if it will come up in conversation but when.

The point I was trying to make is no matter many times people will post about trainers being superior or how you can use a different bike and just get the web app or try to downvote they are just missing the point - you aren't getting the true peloton cult experience if you don't buy the bike. If you want the full experience it's a great value.
Last edited by Lord Denning on Aug 28th, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Mar 3, 2012
278 posts
159 upvotes
Edmonton
baz5 wrote: A hardcore fitness fanatic didn't think cycling would be as good as a workout as a run?
Yup- for the longest time I was very locked into my own fitness regimes and what I expected to get out of them; of course as you emphasize, that seems absurd, but I think thats the biggest hurdle in fitness- finding the drive to push yourself in an exercise and I didn't personally have that drive for cycling before- I have gym buds who are running ultramarathons and kettlebell workouts, and I have zero drive to do either- but a three plate bench press will get me going or a 5km run or an interval 100m/150m/200 m track run will get me going . These are incredibly personal- I don't expect my kettlebell or ultramarathon buds to give a flying F about gunning for a 500 lb deadlift, but I do. This personal aspect is what I think matters in fitness- if it drives you to better yourself physically/mentally, its a small price to pay considering how complicated motivation and drive and habit building actually are. Now, after taking in cycling this year, I can actually appreciate it and why people are into cycling, a mistake I made in the past. I feel the same way about ellipticals- somebody out there is having the time of their life killing it on an elliptical and I can't understand why, but I know the fact they are driven to kill it on the elliptical is something special and hard to come by.

The personal drive aspect is important- you can burn the same number of calories in a run or cycle session but the feeling will be different. I still don't think what I get from running can replace what I get from cycling, but I definitely have an itch to scratch with cycling now. So good at you mention is more for me what I want to get out of the workout and not necessarily something like calories expended.
Last edited by ellisc on Aug 28th, 2021 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Jun 10, 2020
675 posts
663 upvotes
toguy wrote: The original Peloton Bike has had a price cut of $600 and is now $1,895 (only the original Bike and not the Bike+).

What the Bike+ has over the original (so what you are NOT getting with this model on sale):

-larger (24") articulating screen vs 22" fixed on the original
-better speakers (4 vs. 2 on original)
-Apple GymKit Integration
-Auto follow resistance (no manual adjustments required)

Not buying one myself, but might be of interest to some.

Edit: Also turns out that if you bought the bike in the past month prior to this price drop (Jul 27 or later) you are eligible for a $600 refund. (thanks to @mathieurousseau for mentioning it).

https://www.onepeloton.ca/shop/bike
Wasn't this thing recalled recently for killing babies??

Top