Peloton Bike - $1,895 ($600 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2021 5:07 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3716 posts
1334 upvotes
There are worse things in the world that people can ‘splurge’ on; if its not for you, move on.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1267 posts
1429 upvotes
Peloton app is great, we use a cheap magnetic amazon spin bike with the app on tablet and it achieves probably 75% of the experience, maybe one day we will splurge on the whole experience!
<signature length too long>
Oct 8, 2007
297 posts
254 upvotes
Ontario
Given it's new price, I know a lot of people are comparing this Peloton to the Echelon and Scwinn, but I am wondering if anyone has considered any of the Norditrack models?
Jan 21, 2021
121 posts
171 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: The peloton instructors apparently can make over $500k a year not including stock options.
Yeah exactly. It actually takes a lot of skill to be a good instructor. I used to go to Equinox in Toronto because of the talent they were able to attract, which made for way better classes. I have been using the Peloton and do a variety of classes and most of the instructors are at a completely different level than what you’d find at a gym.

The main benefit of the bike is the classes. If you don’t care about that, there are cheaper options. Works for me because I get to shut my brain off.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1340 posts
427 upvotes
Vaughan
jbone14 wrote: Correct, locked to their ecosystem…
]
does this mean that the screen is pretty much useless unless you pay for their membership? or can you still use the screen for other media like youtube, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6100 posts
3625 upvotes
Ottawa
otaknap wrote: ]
does this mean that the screen is pretty much useless unless you pay for their membership? or can you still use the screen for other media like youtube, etc.
There are workarounds as there is a hidden browser in the tablet that apparently provides access to Youtube. I have never tried it. The issue is that nothing but the peloton app will show your speed, cadence, etc and the machine is not Zwift-compatible for example.
Jan 15, 2020
74 posts
125 upvotes
Montreal
Currently, we’re unable to deliver to Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Nunavut, Yukon and the Northwest Territories. Check back for updates.
Small business owner, student and active investor.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10464 posts
3095 upvotes
arkangil wrote: Given it's new price, I know a lot of people are comparing this Peloton to the Echelon and Scwinn, but I am wondering if anyone has considered any of the Norditrack models?
my s15I arrived on wed and im loving it so far. i paid 2100 all in from best buy delivered to my house for the 2021 model and it came with a 1 year family i fit membership.

the auto resistance and auto incline/decline work very seamlessly, and the bike is super solid and extremely quiet.
Oct 8, 2007
297 posts
254 upvotes
Ontario
rocking23nf wrote: my s15I arrived on wed and im loving it so far. i paid 2100 all in from best buy delivered to my house for the 2021 model and it came with a 1 year family i fit membership.

the auto resistance and auto incline/decline work very seamlessly, and the bike is super solid and extremely quiet.
Are you locked into iFit on the screen, a la peloton, or can the screen be used for other apps/programs/etc.?
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10464 posts
3095 upvotes
arkangil wrote: Are you locked into iFit on the screen, a la peloton, or can the screen be used for other apps/programs/etc.?
i believe its locked to ifit, but i heard it runs on andriod and can be possibly modified, i havent looked into that nor plan on so im not the best to answer that.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1738 posts
374 upvotes
BC
My home is littered with unused equipment (2 rowing machines, 2 stationary bikes, weightlifting equipment, bench, plates (300lbs), Lat machines, Chin up bars, etc). Unless you are really dedicated, don't waste the money. Ride a bike or walk.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
To make a mistake is human, but to blame it on someone else, that's even more human.
Jul 18, 2012
434 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto

Back on topic - went to the peloton store at SQ1 yesterday and had a pretty decent experience overall. It’s an alluring package but there is certainly more $$$ with 27 month extended warranty which costs about $200, shoes, weights, mats - all of which can cost up to $600.

The wife is convinced this will change our lives lol - so will go along with the research a little longer before the inevitable pulling of the trigger happens. But honestly, at this point my biggest concern is about spending >$2k tax in for a 6 year old product (Bike) and tech.
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 30th, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: thread cleanup
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4651 posts
1632 upvotes
Vancity
insync44 wrote: My home is littered with unused equipment (2 rowing machines, 2 stationary bikes, weightlifting equipment, bench, plates (300lbs), Lat machines, Chin up bars, etc). Unless you are really dedicated, don't waste the money. Ride a bike or walk.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
If you're anything like your avatar, I say the equipment is well used.

I think physical fitness is more to do with internal motivation than the equipment. How did people get fit in the old days when there weren't fancy equipment? There are many exercises that can be done with body weight, or just go out for a jog. I've been using the same home gym for 20+ years; paid < $1k for it. Never paid any gym membership, but I do play sports all year long.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6100 posts
3625 upvotes
Ottawa
arkangil wrote: Are you locked into iFit on the screen, a la peloton, or can the screen be used for other apps/programs/etc.?
My Norditrack treadmill's screen is locked to iFit.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11208 posts
5297 upvotes
I own a $5000 bicycle but refused to waste money on a peloton bike and bought a cheaper indoor version and my wife says its just as good as the peloton she uses at work.To each there own.
We spend money the way we want to. Alot of people in here getting butt hurt on people spending money on spin classes ect is hilarious.
Last edited by MrDisco on Aug 30th, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: thread cleanup
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3444 posts
1462 upvotes
Brampton
rocking23nf wrote: my s15I arrived on wed and im loving it so far. i paid 2100 all in from best buy delivered to my house for the 2021 model and it came with a 1 year family i fit membership.

Very nice. You'll be collecting magnets soon too Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1763 posts
2336 upvotes
Good deal but I don't have the space right now for one
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
3206 posts
479 upvotes
Vancouver
DasHip wrote: Sorry, if you're going to 20-$30 spin classes without a question or thought, you are an upper-income individual in this country. I would never consider that and I'm making good money in the six figures (though I still have some outstanding student debt, etc). Still, you need to check your economic privledge a bit there, bud..
You make six figures and you still have outstanding student loan debt? Could this be a case for economic flossing?