Peloton

Peloton Bike - $1,895 ($600 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2021 5:07 pm
Tags:
Feb 21, 2008
125 posts
175 upvotes
Really sweating this one… had an Echelon before and sold it… said if I ever get another bike, it’s Peloton or nothing. Only thing holding me back was the bike price, but now… hmmm.

The $600 discount is great, speaking with the Peloton sales team has been great (answered all of my dumb questions), only thing that’s hurting is the $50/month sub fee.

For those that have owned other bikes & Peloton, is the Peloton really that much better? Their app looks really good too vs Echelon.
Sep 14, 2015
108 posts
51 upvotes
motorhead wrote: Really sweating this one… had an Echelon before and sold it… said if I ever get another bike, it’s Peloton or nothing. Only thing holding me back was the bike price, but now… hmmm.

The $600 discount is great, speaking with the Peloton sales team has been great (answered all of my dumb questions), only thing that’s hurting is the $50/month sub fee.

For those that have owned other bikes & Peloton, is the Peloton really that much better? Their app looks really good too vs Echelon.
Which Echelon did you have and how much did you get back for it? Did you disassemble it for the buyer or they just came and carried it out? I'm thinking of selling my Echelon Sport in the near future.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1210 posts
262 upvotes
hvc wrote: reviews look good, I'd go for it?
I use the ikea office chair mat for my bike lol
Mar 14, 2010
85 posts
13 upvotes
motorhead wrote: Really sweating this one… had an Echelon before and sold it… said if I ever get another bike, it’s Peloton or nothing. Only thing holding me back was the bike price, but now… hmmm.

There's a billion classes of all different types. You just have to *like* spin classes, for it to be worth it. There's something for everyone if you enjoy spinning.

Also, you can share membership with anyone in your household, and even with friends (allowing them to piggyback on your membership to use the App without a bike for other workouts). So there's the potential to expand what you get (and how many people benefit) from the subscription.

If you do not enjoy spin classes where a person motivates you, says a lot of cheesy stuff to keep you going, and provides anecdotes, don't buy this. You have to enjoy talkative, positive, instructor-led classes to get any value out of this.
Jul 18, 2012
435 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
ZoMBiETRoNiC wrote: Firmly: No, if you're planning to buy the bike brand new, with the current pricing, I would not consider the Bike+, despite the add-ons and improvements. I am surprised that they dropped the price on one model, and didn't touch the other, even a bit (if I was them, I would have dropped the + by $300, at least). The primary technology behind the Bike may not have changed in 5 years, but it's not going to change in the next 5 either. It's an indoor spin bike, at its core, and it is extremely well-built. They'll keep adding on new tech gizmos over the years, screens, trackers, AI, whatnot, but core indoor spin bikes will stay similar for the next many years ahead.

The cost is big, but if you get a lot of use out of it, and are committed to using it often, it'll pay for itself immediately. Do you like spin classes? Do you find them fun and motivating? That's what you should be focused on, because this ecosystem and this bike does them the best. If you don't enjoy instructor-led spin classes, you're not going to be motivated by this piece of equipment. Compare the price of going in a few times a week to a spin studio and this equipment, and you'll be way ahead with a Peloton, and I get a similar type of experience, with a lot less of the headache (don't have to transit/walk to a studio, and now with COVID concerns...). Also if you end up absolutely hating it, there's a decent re-sale market, and you can probably get 65-80% of your purchase price back.
Thank you - this post helped us immensely in taking the plunge.

This helped me change my mindset where previously I was approaching this purchase as a tech-media device; but looking at it objectively as a fitness device helped in making it even harder for me to justify paying almost double for marginal “tech” nice to have features. Thanks
Mar 14, 2010
85 posts
13 upvotes
robbiemurray wrote: Thank you - this post helped us immensely in taking the plunge.

This helped me change my mindset where previously I was approaching this purchase as a tech-media device; but looking at it objectively as a fitness device helped in making it even harder for me to justify paying almost double for marginal “tech” nice to have features. Thanks
Cool! Glad to be of help. Yeah, I did spin classes years ago and the bikes generally feel the same as they do today. A good indoor spin bike from years ago feels just like the Peloton I now own if I subtract all the technology from it. But years ago I was doing the class at a spin studio, with a ton of people, in a hot room, and commuting to and from, and now I'm doing it my own home, can hop in the shower immediately afterwards, can look goofy, do it on my own schedule, add an additional ride immediately afterwards. I liked spinning, but I stopped doing it because I didn't like dragging myself to a studio just to hop on a bike for 30-60 minutes.

Also, you didn't mention this: make sure you get a referral from a friend or family member for some free accessories. My understanding is that you can still apply this up to three days after purchase (just googled it).
Last edited by ZoMBiETRoNiC on Aug 31st, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 1, 2011
686 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
im torn between the original and bike plus....decisions decisions
Feb 21, 2008
125 posts
175 upvotes
decorates wrote: Which Echelon did you have and how much did you get back for it? Did you disassemble it for the buyer or they just came and carried it out? I'm thinking of selling my Echelon Sport in the near future.
I purchased the Echelon EX-1 Connect Bundle (Bike + 1 year Echelon Fit membership). Was just under $1200 tax-in with shipping.

I sold it after about 6 or 7 months for $750 right around Christmas/New Years. Bike was in mint condition. I rode a lot in the first 3 months but I wasn't riding it much (if at all) during the time that I sold it -- was sidetracked with a lot of work, family stuff and side projects. It was the right decision at the time, and the money went straight into my side hustle (which ended up growing larger and faster than I expected).

Back to business, the buyer came and purchase the bike fully assembled. I think maybe we took the handlebar piece off only as I vaguely remember explaining to the buyer how to re-connect the power connectors.
Mar 14, 2010
85 posts
13 upvotes
raptors909 wrote: im torn between the original and bike plus....decisions decisions
Original Bike. See my previous posts.

Imagine this scenario: You own the Peloton Bike, it's just been delivered. You paid $1900+tax. Someone tells you, "hey, I'll make the screen slightly bigger, add a feature called auto-tracking that automatically adjusts resistance on recorded rides, and Apple Watch integration, for only $1400+ tax."

Would you do it? You could buy 73% of a second original bike for that add-on cost. Those features have to *really* be worth it to you. I own a Bike+ and would downgrade my bike to exclude those features in exchange for $1400. I do really like the auto-tracking (makes it easier to just focus on biking), and I'm happy I have it, but I'd live without it for $1400 in the snap of a finger. I don't care about the screen size, and I don't own an Apple Watch.
Last edited by ZoMBiETRoNiC on Aug 30th, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
23156 posts
180946 upvotes
GTA
raptors909 wrote: im torn between the original and bike plus....decisions decisions
If you are committed to getting one, there is almost no decision to be made here IMO.

You could buy the original and still have more than enough money left over for a Concept 2 rower.

Just saying...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
5385 posts
3443 upvotes
Original bike, hands down. Bike+ isn't worh the premium.

You can buy an aftermarket swivel for like $100, the other stuff (apple integration, auto adjust) is nice to have but not worth the premium at all.
Oct 8, 2007
298 posts
255 upvotes
Ontario
hvc wrote: Original bike, hands down. Bike+ isn't worh the premium.

You can buy an aftermarket swivel for like $100, the other stuff (apple integration, auto adjust) is nice to have but not worth the premium at all.
Is there a way to add apple integration to peloton through a third party app or piece of hardware?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
5385 posts
3443 upvotes
arkangil wrote: Is there a way to add apple integration to peloton through a third party app or piece of hardware?
no idea, no apple devices - sorry!
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1239 posts
779 upvotes
GTA
Maybe it’s already been mentioned but missed it; a single bike can have have up to 5 profiles under the same $50 membership, maybe that helps anyone.

Personally it’s cheaper than having two gym memberships in my household. We already had weights from pre-covid times, so we’ve actually come out ahead.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3407 posts
861 upvotes
Vancouver
ZoMBiETRoNiC wrote: If you do not enjoy spin classes where a person motivates you, says a lot of cheesy stuff to keep you going, and provides anecdotes, don't buy this. You have to enjoy talkative, positive, instructor-led classes to get any value out of this.
Disagree with you on this one. The beauty with Peloton is there is literally an instructor for every preference. Some hype you up, some spew motivational quotes, some entertain you with zany stories, and some provide straight-forward coach with no frills. Yes they are all mostly positive as I'm pretty sure there are certain terms/wording instructors aren't supposed to refer to but their "levels" of positivity and outward enthusiasm vary. But all the instructors are very charismatic and classes truly fly by.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10168 posts
3628 upvotes
arkangil wrote: So if I read this correctly, this app will allow you to use the peloton app with a non-peloton bike to get stats and heart rate etc.

Does it work the other way, allow you to use an Apple Watch to get health metrics with a peloton bike?
I know someone that has an iphone and is using that app with Peloton - it gives you everything necessary to follow the class, stats...etc. No idea on the Apple watch integration
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
2329 posts
1687 upvotes
is there a camera pointed at you so that the instructor or class sees you while you're exercising