Peloton Bike (includes Works Pkg $319) - $2950

I’ve been talking about this bike and the deal is here again this week
191 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2694 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
Best deal of the year for a peloton if you’re thinking of buying one. Referral credits don’t usually mix with BF deals as an FYI. Had ours for a year and still love it - let me know if you’ve got any questions or check out the subreddit for pelotoncycle
May 15, 2010
226 posts
154 upvotes
Ajax
How does this compare to a smart trainer + zwift setup
Nov 21, 2014
37 posts
34 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
seanymack wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 8:17 am
How does this compare to a smart trainer + zwift setup
Depends how you want to train/keep motivated. With a Peloton, you're locked into their eco-system and cannot import data to their app from a trainer, or export data from their bike to another virtual cycling app without additional hardware. On a Peloton bike you have a nice big 22" 1080p screen and their competitive aspects like leader boards and their progress data tracking, which you can't get with a trainer, atop an above average spin bike. Of note, to use the Peloton bike, which has the leader boards and data tracking, the subscription price jumps from ~$20 to $50. You still have full class access regardless of whether you're using the bike or app.

Using a smart trainer would allow you to follow along with Peloton classes so long as you can track some or all of power, cadence, heart rate and resistance. If you wanted to use other apps such as Zwift, Fulgaz, Tacx, Rouvy, etc. for a virtual/video cycling experience, you need a smart trainer, or at least hardware to track those values, especially power and cadence. With the right smart trainer, these apps can send resistance/elevation settings to the trainer. Most of these apps allow for progress data tracking, and feature competitive aspects like leader boards or racing. Smart trainers can get pretty $$$ though as you increase the quality and features(you can even get units to simulate ascent/descent and wind); if you don't already have a road bike to use on the trainer, it can easily rise above the cost of the Peloton bike.

Assuming your budget allows for a Peloton, that would also get you a good trainer setup, so it ultimately comes down to which you'd stick with and benefit from the most. Peloton has a 30 day, cost free trial of the bike, so the best way to see if it's worth it to you is to try it.
[OP]
Mar 2, 2017
840 posts
579 upvotes
Good summary. We bit the bullet and just ordered it so we're looking forward to it.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2694 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
sks8100 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 1:52 pm
Good summary. We bit the bullet and just ordered it so we're looking forward to it.
The leaderboard can be quite addicting and is fun when you match up closely to someone else on the ride and are switching back and forth. For non live rides you can check the “here now” tab. Also would recommend getting a separate heart rate monitor. The peloton one wasn’t great. Same with pedals if you’ve got your own clip ins - better go go with a shimano SPD pedal in the long run as they won’t wear out.
[OP]
Mar 2, 2017
840 posts
579 upvotes
AstonM wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 6:51 pm
The leaderboard can be quite addicting and is fun when you match up closely to someone else on the ride and are switching back and forth. For non live rides you can check the “here now” tab. Also would recommend getting a separate heart rate monitor. The peloton one wasn’t great. Same with pedals if you’ve got your own clip ins - better go go with a shimano SPD pedal in the long run as they won’t wear out.
Can I use the Peleton shoes with those pedals? The shoes are part of the deal so may as well use them
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2694 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
sks8100 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 7:39 pm
Can I use the Peleton shoes with those pedals? The shoes are part of the deal so may as well use them
Peloton shoes are SPD-SL and most road bikes are SPD. If they came with the bike enjoy them! You can get replacements for either type fairly easily so nothing to worry about.
[OP]
Mar 2, 2017
840 posts
579 upvotes
AstonM wrote:
Nov 18th, 2019 8:09 pm
Peloton shoes are SPD-SL and most road bikes are SPD. If they came with the bike enjoy them! You can get replacements for either type fairly easily so nothing to worry about.
Awesome thx
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4594 posts
2966 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Wow, this costs more than I paid for my entire home gym. (Squat rack, Bench, bike, elliptical, dumbbells).

I dont think I could justify spending this much on one piece of equipment. That said, it looks like an awesome bike!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12298 posts
6550 upvotes
Toronto
pretty decent deal as a supplement to my home gym. My last stationary bike is now sitting in the yard collecting rust. Broken. But it was cheap cheap. Should note that my wife teaches spin, lol.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1719 posts
1855 upvotes
Edmonton
This is an absolutely ridiculous, overpriced product, lol.

But good on the people in the thread for staying in shape at least
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12298 posts
6550 upvotes
Toronto
Blubbs wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 1:44 pm
This is an absolutely ridiculous, overpriced product, lol.

But good on the people in the thread for staying in shape at least
Yes, yes it is, it's a gimmick for sure. Same can be said for each year when the new iphone comes out and hordes of people line up to get one. lol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2842 posts
415 upvotes
Vancouver
For those who own a peloton or have jumped into it w/ this deal, what's your take on the longevity of the business model and the business itself? I know they've gone public so they hopefully are sticking around.

I've been using it at work and I love it. So much so I'm considering getting one at home.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)