Fitness and Nutrition

Peloton Bike (includes Works Pkg $319) - $2950

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 7:11 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2151 posts
3218 upvotes
maple1 wrote: Doesn't make sense to me but I would rather be actually out on the road. But actually riding or even going to the gym outside of the home is a commitment in time that isn't easy to balance sometimes. If this interests folks, more power to them. The money is their money and they are doing something for their health.
The reason this "deal" is likely getting blow torched is it really isn't "a deal". The discussion is likely more suited to the "Fitness & Nutrition" Forum discussion. Not really a "Hot Deal" topic. For those that know the industry, the fitness category is one of the highest margin consumer discretionary segments (60>75% Gross Profit Margins). Peleton is simply trying to follow the "Apple" strategy (high profit margins / dedicated eco-system). Others can decide whether they feel the experience is worthy of the price, but it likely doesn't meet the criteria for the "Hot Deals" Forum.
Sep 25, 2004
50 posts
37 upvotes
The doubters need to understand that the reason Peloton works is BECAUSE of the high price.

I read a report where only 3% of Goodlife members use the gym more than twice a week - and majority of members never show up. Thats because Goodlife is inexpensive, so people dont feel quilty about not showing up.

Peloton works, for the exact opposite reason. The crazy high investment MAKES this model work. And to me, more power to them!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2151 posts
3218 upvotes
kevf wrote: The doubters need to understand that the reason Peloton works is BECAUSE of the high price.

I read a report where only 3% of Goodlife members use the gym more than twice a week - and majority of members never show up. Thats because Goodlife is inexpensive, so people dont feel quilty about not showing up.

Peloton works, for the exact opposite reason. The crazy high investment MAKES this model work. And to me, more power to them!
Just as Peloton has it's business model, so too does GoodLife. GoodLife specifically tries to make up on volume membership sales. GoodLife knows most will not regularly use his / her memberships. If they did, their Facility footprints would have to be MUCH larger. Fitness industry has figured out more than one way to take your money, lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1265 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
kevf wrote: The doubters need to understand that the reason Peloton works is BECAUSE of the high price.

That is too funny - i never quit goodlife because it is cheap (I am still only $26 a month) even though I never go.

And I recall an article that Peloton's sales went up when they raised the price of the bike up. It used to be cheaper using the razer blade model where they took a loss on the bike to make money on the monthly streams. Except people assumed it was not a quality product!

Here is the link: https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/pelot ... 56225.html
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2466 posts
788 upvotes
if i had $3k lying around and
were looking for a an item with "wheels"
i'd probably get a used car over a static bike
specially in november (you know it's winter right?)
you can then drive to a real gym
For sale threads:
GCs / Coins
Cloth / Phones/
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
I wonder how much of a premium you're paying for the PR campaign and leftover hype which by the way is dissapating. When those pretty store fronts on Yorkville and elsewhere close this thing will be brought closer to the actual price of making it....as in $1K s at the most consider its an above average spin cycle. You're paying like a 300% premium for the sleek image campaign, not the actual bike.
Last edited by thelasthunter on Dec 5th, 2019 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
This thread has made me look at hamster wheels in a new light.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote: I wonder how much of a premium you're paying for the PR campaign and leftover hype which by the way is dissapating. When those pretty store fronts on Yorkville and elsewhere close this thing will be brought closer to the actual price of making it....as in $1K s at the most consider its an above average spin cycle. You're paying like a 300% premium for the sleek image campaign, not the actual bike.
They want to be the Starbucks, Beats and similar of indoor cycling. A premium product based on marketing. Value seeking shoppers like RFDers need not apply. There are already more budget friendly options out there.
May 20, 2006
238 posts
96 upvotes
hchai wrote: There is Peloton Bike Alternative. It is not the same as you will not have the resistance level info but it is a lot cheaper and you won't lock into the eco system, and monthly fee is cheaper as well. I am also not saying the bike quality is the same either, but this is a way to get the Peloton experience on the cheap. You can upgrade the bike down the road if you want.

https://www.sippingandshopping.org/my-p ... ternative/

Also the Nordic s22i is on sale now for $2188 and it is comparable or even better than the Peloton bike.

https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/C11FCA69036 ... 02117.html

The Nordictrack was a BF deal for that price. It's back to its original $2648 price tag now.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1926 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
deals on these things happen much?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1926 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
litebrite wrote: Seems like they lowered the price of the digital app sub to $12.99 a month from $19.99 a month.
if you have the bike you still need to pay for a subscription?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
chowder wrote: if you have the bike you still need to pay for a subscription?
Only if you want to use their fitness programming/music. You can continue to use it as a 'dumb' stationary bike without the subscription. Alternatively, if you already own a stationary bike, you can subscribe to their service via an app and mount a tablet/smartphone to your bike.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3947 posts
1379 upvotes
Vancouver
chowder wrote: if you have the bike you still need to pay for a subscription?
If you have the peloton bike, you need the $49 subscription to use all the features, including metrics. You can have up to 6 people sign onto the bike and they have full access to the app as well on their device, whether iOS, android, android tv, or fire tv. But otherwise, the $12.99 app is only for one device/user.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)