Careers

PEO Experience for P.Eng

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2017 2:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 2, 2015
8 posts
Mississauga, ON

PEO Experience for P.Eng

All, do you guys have any experience regarding writing your Experience for P.eng? I already wrote it and sent, and my references aer all sent but now something cross my mind. My issue is that I graduated in Environmental Engineering but I've been doing civil/construction engineering for the past 7 years. There's only a few items where I have to deal environmental related items. Majority of it are civil and structural related. I mean I when I was in school we have about 75% of the courses do overlap with civil engineers such as deformation of bodies (structual) and geotechnical/soils engineering (that dealt with granular material and concrete). The biggest concern is that they will invite me to ERC interview or they will simply reject?

Do any other guys out there have similar experience as me when applying for your P.Eng?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
They hand it like candies. as long as you are a paying member. you would be OK.

anyway, did u got any training at work? show them how u transitioned to new position which is outside your scope. Also take some part time construction course at college
Sr. Member
Mar 6, 2010
747 posts
109 upvotes
Your degree do not have to meet with your experience. All kinds of majors work as project engineer anyway. Clearly states your title in the job experience form, you should be fine
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1859 posts
341 upvotes
Woodbridge
what is anyone going to do for you here?

Youve submitted. Wait and see what they decide. As long as you explained yourself according to the requirements. I think youll be fine.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
528 upvotes
When I got my P.Eng I don't think any of my references were contacted. Mind you, I was at a consulting firm, and as far as I can tell, the whole licencing aspect of PEO is geared towards engineering consultants. For example, if you work at some software company or tech company you won't need the licence, you won't need to seal any documents, and most likely you won't even bother with the P.Eng. If your work involves the preparation of plans and specifications for the purposes of constrution, it is most likely to be accepted, it is unlikely to be scrutinized. If you are a construction inspector for said consulting firm, it will be scrutinized as you were not the one who did the design work. Similarly if you are an engineer working for a general contractor it will be more scrutinized.
Sr. Member
Aug 26, 2010
908 posts
243 upvotes
Brampton
notfromqc wrote: When I got my P.Eng I don't think any of my references were contacted. Mind you, I was at a consulting firm, and as far as I can tell, the whole licencing aspect of PEO is geared towards engineering consultants. For example, if you work at some software company or tech company you won't need the licence, you won't need to seal any documents, and most likely you won't even bother with the P.Eng. If your work involves the preparation of plans and specifications for the purposes of constrution, it is most likely to be accepted, it is unlikely to be scrutinized. If you are a construction inspector for said consulting firm, it will be scrutinized as you were not the one who did the design work. Similarly if you are an engineer working for a general contractor it will be more scrutinized.
ALL of my references were contacted with a questionnaire form in the mail.. My experience record would not be reviewed until all of them were received back resulting in a 1 year delay which wasn't fun.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 2, 2015
8 posts
Mississauga, ON
Thanks all...

Its just that I'm nervous about this situation and would get rejected or the ERC interview. If I did my studies in Civil Engineering as opposed to Environmental, I wouldn't have that problem :(

I do know if they actually hand these out that candies. I read this one forum here on redflag that this guy studied Electrical but he is doing Industrial that is why he got called in for ERC interview.

I heard that ERC interviews are horrible. I wonder what kind of questions they ask, because If they ask me questions back in school I don't think I will reemember any of them lol
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 2, 2015
8 posts
Mississauga, ON
I read it....but I think in reality it might be different....at least thats what I heard from other post
Jr. Member
Jul 15, 2009
160 posts
64 upvotes
Edmonton
Maybe I'll chip in on this topic....PEO don't really judge your work experience unless it is substantially deviated from your academic discipline. Lucky for OP, environmental is highly related to civil and so it'll be quite easy for you to "interpret" your experience as environmental related.

On the other hand, people often mistaken the experience requirement as "work experience". What PEO is looking for in your professional experience is that you have applied engineering theories, principles, and applicable legislations/codes to your work. In plain english, that means if you need to do engineering calculations, use technical computer softwares, confirm specifications according to industry codes, then you'll pass the smelling test (that's why notfromqc said the whole process seems to be geared towards consultants...)

Indeed, if you've graduated from an engineering school, have been working in technical industry, but have been working as project manager or business analyst whose daily activities are doing budget and scheduling, work flow analysis and/or procurement, then for sure PEO will give you a hard time about your experience.

That's why some people will claim PEO will give out the license like candies while others will claim PEO is giving them hard time for no reason. If the applicant has been working in a well known engineering consulting company in a role that clearly expected to be doing engineering work everyday, then they'll give it a pass in flash of a second.

So the key is to explain how you have applied all these theories, rules and codes at work to gain your experience.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
benjuotterly wrote:
That's why some people will claim PEO will give out the license like candies while others will claim PEO is giving them hard time for no reason. If the applicant has been working in a well known engineering consulting company in a role that clearly expected to be doing engineering work everyday, then they'll give it a pass in flash of a second.
Your assessment in correct, I have been working in Design and Analysis since first job and had no problem in getting P.Eng. Meanwhile my buddies were doing cost and managing, which is higher pay. They got PMP but had hard time getting P.Eng
Jr. Member
Jan 18, 2016
122 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do your previous managers / references need to be a P.Eng themselves?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
capitalgain wrote: Do your previous managers / references need to be a P.Eng themselves?
Yes, for each position/company you need 1
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3673 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
jwkchuk wrote: Thanks all...

Its just that I'm nervous about this situation and would get rejected or the ERC interview. If I did my studies in Civil Engineering as opposed to Environmental, I wouldn't have that problem :(

I do know if they actually hand these out that candies. I read this one forum here on redflag that this guy studied Electrical but he is doing Industrial that is why he got called in for ERC interview.

I heard that ERC interviews are horrible. I wonder what kind of questions they ask, because If they ask me questions back in school I don't think I will reemember any of them lol
They have actually changed it the last few years where they are interviewing ALOT of people because they realized most people aren't qualified for it. I would say the past 2-3 years, maybe about 80% of the people i know going for their p.eng. got called in for an interview. The interview itself is quite simple but it's still a pain in the ass.
Member
Apr 13, 2010
346 posts
31 upvotes
I'm pretty sure the most important part is having 12 months of design experience, the other 36 months do not really matter as long as you have worked somewhere in your field. Environmental and Civil go hand in hand, that's why most Canadian programs group them together.
Newbie
Feb 14, 2017
20 posts
5 upvotes
Hi all,

I have submitted all required documentations, including experience summary report, returned referees completed forms, ppe exam etc. I was told in first week of Jan 2017 that it takes 14 to 16 weeks to process. Does it take that long? Also, under PEO directory, I do not see any info under my name, as if i was in EIT or P.Eng in process. I was wondering if anyone knows about it.

Also I am a CEAB graduated. Done B.Eng and M.Eng in Toronto. What do they look into for assigning the person for an IRC interview?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2903 posts
1595 upvotes
Harry001in wrote: Hi all,

I have submitted all required documentations, including experience summary report, returned referees completed forms, ppe exam etc. I was told in first week of Jan 2017 that it takes 14 to 16 weeks to process. Does it take that long? Also, under PEO directory, I do not see any info under my name, as if i was in EIT or P.Eng in process. I was wondering if anyone knows about it.

Also I am a CEAB graduated. Done B.Eng and M.Eng in Toronto. What do they look into for assigning the person for an IRC interview?
When I submitted a few years ago, it took almost 6 months for the record to be reviewed and processed. I understand that they have added employees to work through the backlog so it shouldn't be as bad, but 14-16 weeks sounds reasonable to me.

Are you registered as an EIT? I didn't bother with EIT and didn't show up in the directory until I got my full license. I looked up my friend that is currently an EIT and he shows up in their database as "non-practising/EIT".

I'm unsure about your last question.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
20887 posts
5466 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
E-mail from last week:
PEO Employment Opportunity: Experience Assessment Officer (6-month contract)

Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) has an immediate opening for the following full-time position at its headquarters in Toronto, ON:

Experience Assessment Officer (6-month contract)

Reporting to the Manager, Licensure, this position is responsible for assessing an applicant’s engineering experience qualifications as well as providing timely recommendations related to the engineering experience for licensure purposes. The successful candidate will possess a first-hand familiarity with engineering work and the ability to differentiate between engineering and non-engineering activities, combined with effective organizational skills with a keen eye for detail, excellent interpersonal skills, and demonstrated experience with database and office technology.

Deadline to apply: March 3, 2017

For more information, see the Employment Opportunities web page.
Looks like the PEO does do not have the manpower to get through the current backlog of applications.
- casual gastronomist -
Newbie
Feb 14, 2017
20 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks for replying. I am not an EIT. I directly applied for license. No wonder I can't see my name under the directory at the moment. About the ERC interview, what I meant was what sort of candidates gets a call for interview? How do they determine the criteria for calling someone for an interview?
Newbie
Feb 14, 2017
20 posts
5 upvotes
Recently, PEO have increased the process time to 4 - 5 months (longer than 16 weeks) upon receiving all documentations. It would be beneficial to people if they update the changes on their website so people can be aware of process time. The process time is indicated lower on their website (12 to 16 weeks). New applicants should be mindful of the such time consuming process when they start applying initially.

Top