Fashion & Beauty

People are bigger/taller, so why is finding shoes size 13 and above still hard?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2015 11:59 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 6, 2005
896 posts
27 upvotes

People are bigger/taller, so why is finding shoes size 13 and above still hard?

Seriously, why is shopping for shoes with size 13.5 still hard in this day and age.
Yes, sometimes a size 13 will fit, sometimes not. I hate walking into a store and asking, what do you have in a size 13 or 14 and seeing the clown shoes.
Buying online means buying two pairs and returning one.

rant over....
12 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20083 posts
3953 upvotes
Toronto
People are bigger, but not necessarily taller. Fat doesn't give you a bigger shoe size, and sizes within the 95th percentile are the ones which are represented. Unless we all jump up to NBA size our shoes will stay within the same range.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3364 posts
1638 upvotes
Montreal
Sorry dude but bigger and taller does not mean 6'5-6'6. Size 13 shoes will never be common for the non-NBA'ers.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5167 posts
7507 upvotes
Ontario
Must be the same reason I as a woman cannot find size 12 stocked at a New Balance store-it's not a size that sells often. Thank goodness an independent shoe store expedited a shoe order for me this summer.
Ube pie-yum! It coordinates with Pantone's colour of the year for 2022.😃
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1556 posts
2163 upvotes
kenze wrote: Sorry dude but bigger and taller does not mean 6'5-6'6. Size 13 shoes will never be common for the non-NBA'ers.
What? Im 6'1, wear size 12 shoes and my feet are below average for my height.

Size 13 isnt that big and far from NBA sizing

Real men have it pretty hard with clothing.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1536 posts
772 upvotes
GTA
Piro21 wrote: People are bigger, but not necessarily taller. Fat doesn't give you a bigger shoe size, and sizes within the 95th percentile are the ones which are represented. Unless we all jump up to NBA size our shoes will stay within the same range.
Fat actually does increase your shoes....
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
934 upvotes
Sask.
It's just a matter of getting to know the stores in your area - and trying to get there when they have new stock in.

My husband and son both wear size 13 and it can be relatively hard to find shoes or runners.
However, my nephew who wears size 14 has a crazy hard time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6012 posts
1641 upvotes
GSpeed wrote: Fat actually does increase your shoes....
I call BS on that. Women love shoes because their feet size don't change like their body.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1536 posts
772 upvotes
GTA
mebiuspower wrote: I call BS on that. Women love shoes because their feet size don't change like their body.
I would have too... I went from a 9 to 8 during a 40lbs weight loss.. I might even be a 7.5 now..
I thought it was crazy, but then I went on google and found out it happens to pretty much everyone.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1222 posts
873 upvotes
Belleville
mebiuspower wrote: I call BS on that. Women love shoes because their feet size don't change like their body.
It really does. I was overweight. Dropped a fair bit of weight. Shoe sized dropped almost two sizes. Went from a 13-14 to a 11-12.

Just look at overweight people's hands/fingers. Swollen up like a sausage. Same thing happens to the feet. The bigger size is needed to accommodate the width more so than the length.
Nov 23, 2008
362 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
FlashFyre wrote: It really does. I was overweight. Dropped a fair bit of weight. Shoe sized dropped almost two sizes. Went from a 13-14 to a 11-12.

Just look at overweight people's hands/fingers. Swollen up like a sausage. Same thing happens to the feet. The bigger size is needed to accommodate the width more so than the length.
That's less the size of the shoe (which is generally associated with the length) and more the width though. Your actual (properly fitted) shoe size wouldn't change, but you might size up to fit your feet in them.
Banned
Oct 15, 2015
53 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RaphaelG041 wrote: What? Im 6'1, wear size 12 shoes and my feet are below average for my height.

Size 13 isnt that big and far from NBA sizing

Real men have it pretty hard with clothing.
You sure? You have big feet for your height

I'm 6'2 ..I wear size 10.5-11

Most of my friends are in the same height range as me and none of us are above size 11 for shoes

Clothing is pretty easy here for tall people..its also a lot better now with clothes that are long enough but not widebody lol...it was hard buying 34 sleeves with 15 neck size before but plentiful now