Food & Drink

People currently or previously at UofT for Engineering!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2006 11:51 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1663 posts
5 upvotes

People currently or previously at UofT for Engineering!

Where do you guys/gurls eat?

I dont want to have to walk so far, but I'm getting sick of everything thats close by, like franky's hot dogs, ken ho's, hot dog stand at college and McCaul

where else can i get some cheap and fast and good food around here?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6656 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
Food around there is absolute garbage, you have no choices. Before when druxies was still around, i used to eat there quite often, but it is no longer there.

Here is my review of places around ENG at UofT,

College park: food tastes like they bought premade stuff from the supermarket and reheated it.

ken Ho: Same sauce for every dish, absolutely nasty food, I would rather go hungry than eat there. have you seen how dirty inside the truck is, ken Ho looks as if he is gonna drop dead any mintue, he must be his best customer.

Chinese food truck near Robarts: Good food, but long walk and I need a nap after eating that greasy food before i walk back to ENG. I once saw a lady deliver rice to the truck in an Mercedes SLK.

Pete, the dude that sells hotdogs on college: nice guy, you can only eat sausages for so long though. I used to have a deal with him, where he would put two veggie dogs into 1 bun and only charge me 50 cents more.

Burger King: long walk, I hate burger king anyways, if you are willing to walk to BK you might as well walk across the street and get some Pho.

Indian place: closed now, no idea what is there.

Chinese food place near second cup: Call the health insepector, call the police too cuz they should be charged for manslaughter

That is all i remember, I think there a few new places now. But When I was in eng i was thinking the same thing, no where to eat, absolutely nothing good to eat. Once Druxies or was it shopsies(sp?) closed there was nothing you could buy that did not drip grease. Open up a Pho place there and you could make a killing. Just bring you own food, I know it sucks as now you have OSAP money to spend on food, but even if you were rich there is no place you would want to spend to eat there.

I honestly forgot How i dealt with the food situation, I know for sure i would only eat out like once every 5 days, I think I used to only go to classes starting at 12 pm, so i ate lunch at home, and always went home before 6 pm so i ate dinner at home. Maybe if the food was better I would not have skipped so many classes and maybe i would have stuck around school rather than just showing for labs and tests, maybe I would have had school buddies, maybe i would have been on the honor role, and maybe i would have dated some eng chicks. yup the food there pretty much ruined my University life.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Feb 20, 2005
652 posts
1 upvote
I found those trucks to be an awesome replacement of chinatown ifyou are too lazy to walk there, I forgot what's the name of that truck but there's one that sells okay tasting "cha siu" <--bbq pork rice or if you are willing to walk a little further, there's this pizza place call "massimo" on college near robert st or something near a public school call Lord Lansdowne that sells pretty good pizzas or if you are really lazy...umm..go to SS...
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3984 posts
2649 upvotes
Toronto
Try the "Red Room" on Spadina(West side) just south of college. They've got some cheap and good food. Or try the Saigon pho place around that area too(although the pho weren't very good in my opinion)

Edit: Oh, I guess a 5 min walk is too far.....!!
Aug 11, 2005
625 posts
2 upvotes
College Street Grill and that other Lebanese place beside Subway isn't so bad. Or Check out Mr. Sub near BK. They have a 3.99 sub/soup combo.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3629 posts
768 upvotes
There's einstein's for wings across from the bookstore on college and now Mr. Sub right beside Burger King. Is Peel pub still around on college there??
Sep 17, 2005
220 posts
The Grill place beside the second cup isn't bad, but it isn't super-cheap.

The Peel Pub has been replaced by some sort of fake Irish pub. I'm not sure if it's open yet.
Eschew obfuscation.
Aug 16, 2005
47 posts
toalan wrote: Chinese food place near second cup: Call the health insepector, call the police too cuz they should be charged for manslaughter
hahaha, oh man that place is the worstttt!!
Aug 11, 2005
625 posts
2 upvotes
The Chinese food place has been closed down.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
Why does this specifically relate to Engineering students? :)

1) bringing food is cheapest and best imo.
1a) bring snacks to hold you over till you can have a real meal elsewhere on your way home if you don't live on res.
2) Mr. Sub near Spadina is usually better than eating something greasy.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4058 posts
157 upvotes
Etobicoke
Pita Pit and Subway on College are fine... If you are not lazy, just walk to places on Spadina, south of College. Also, that chinese food truck in front of Robarts sells pretty good food, but as someone mentioned you'll want to sleep after that much greasy food.
Ebay (462-0-0) - zhenya01
Heatware (28-0-0) - ViperZ
Apr 4, 2005
128 posts
lol, I remember the truck and all the greasy food outside Robart's when my sister studied there 7 years ago! I should try it again some time. Can you give me the intersection closest to it? I will try it after 5pm.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1037 posts
2 upvotes
Pickering
m77m7 wrote:Why does this specifically relate to Engineering students? :)
because an engineer made this thread...
Aug 11, 2005
625 posts
2 upvotes
Well, it's mainly because that particular area of restaurants are usually frequented by engineers as it is mere seconds away from the engineering buildings. I just wished they put up some kind of bridge or pedestrian crossing. I would never go down the street to cross the intersection so I just jaywalk if I came from SF to Second Cup.
Dec 24, 2005
530 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
haha, too bad ENG students. There just isn't any good stuff near your place. I go BA alot, so for me there's the 3 chinese trucks, hotdog stands, Mr. Sub, Subway, and BK near by.

\But my question is, after you get the food where can you go??! SS is always full in the lounge, and RL cafe is small and loud. Where do you guys go eat?