Site Comments & Suggestions

People posting fake items for sale in place of real items.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2015 11:06 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 12, 2015
49 posts
21 upvotes
toronto

People posting fake items for sale in place of real items.

In this thread: hot-deal-apple-magsafe-60w-85w-29-95-bu ... y-1775775/

A store (buy-n-cell) was trying to pass a fake apple magsafe charger as a real one. Now I know that Apple products are very popular and fake accessories are common but at least the people buying them know they are fake and accept that.

In this case however, the store buyNcell is trying to pass of the fake as genuine, which means people are going to get scammed. In the thread, the big box retailers that accepted the pricematch lost a lot of money because they sold their apple chargers for $30 instead of $100.

There should be a rule, not against posting fake items, because that is hard to enforce, but there should be a rule so that you cannot post a fake item and pass it off as real. I think what buy-n-cell is doing is very unethical and they are deceiving their customers who thought they are getting a genuine charger when it has been proven it is a fake by many users in the thread.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28757 posts
9357 upvotes
Hamilton
I think it's fine.

So we can post non oem chargers etc. non oem batteries?
hated on but respected.
Sep 27, 2003
10903 posts
3188 upvotes
Newmarket
As long as what is being posted isn't breaking any laws (like how those fake LV bags are illegal on the street), and as long as the post is accurate as to what the item being sold is, I don't think there would be any issue with "fake items".
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Banned
Jul 12, 2015
49 posts
21 upvotes
toronto
WorldIRC wrote: As long as what is being posted isn't breaking any laws (like how those fake LV bags are illegal on the street), and as long as the post is accurate as to what the item being sold is, I don't think there would be any issue with "fake items".
It says the charger is a genuine charger on the buyNcell site, but that is not true since it is a fake. So the post is not accurate at all.
Sep 27, 2003
10903 posts
3188 upvotes
Newmarket
The merchant claims they are original. What would you have us do -- we can't really police that nor would it be our place to. Plus, the deal is expired now. If a merchant is passing off fake goods as authentic, then call the police or the OEM of the genuine product and let them handle it I suppose.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28757 posts
9357 upvotes
Hamilton
WorldIRC wrote: The merchant claims they are original. What would you have us do -- we can't really police that nor would it be our place to. Plus, the deal is expired now. If a merchant is passing off authentic goods as fake, then call the police or the OEM of the genuine product and let them handle it I suppose.
Hing. Getting the police involved.
hated on but respected.