• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2021 1:01 am
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6928 upvotes
The NORTH
Selling to a private equity firm... Guess that means price increases are on the way.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17365 posts
4472 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote: Selling to a private equity firm... Guess that means price increases are on the way.
Well, considering 1.75 L has already found it's way down to 1.54 L in recent years, I don't doubt that the price will go up! (unless they actually restore 1.75 L to go with the increase, but I doubt it!)

Currently, @ Costco, when you buy 4 at a time, you get 1.89 L, each, but it's $12.89 $13.99 for the four, making it $3.22 $3.50 per carton.
That should be their starting point, if they want to make something smaller for similar money...

(they DID raise the price. The $12.89 price is now $13.99 ($3.50 each, for 4)
Last edited by playnicee1 on Aug 8th, 2021 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6928 upvotes
The NORTH
playnicee1 wrote: Well, considering 1.75 L has already found it's way down to 1.54 L in recent years, I don't doubt that the price will go up! (unless they actually restore 1.75 L to go with the increase, but I doubt it!)

Currently, @ Costco, when you buy 4 at a time, you get 1.89 L, each, but it's $12.89 for the four, making it $3.22 (approximately) per carton.
That should be their starting point, if they want to make something smaller for similar money...
Shrinkflation my friend. manufacturers cannot just raise prices, so they shrink the product instead. As for this, you maybe right. There might not be a straight price increase, they just may eliminate the sale prices where people actually buy juice. As for Costco, we'll have to see if they continue to carry this product after PepsiCo hands it over to a private equity company.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17365 posts
4472 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote: As for Costco, we'll have to see if they continue to carry this product after PepsiCo hands it over to a private equity company.
Pepsi will still have 39% ownership. They will want to maximize their investment. If they were happy with sales @ Costco, they can still present evidence of great sales.
At the end of the day though, they have no say. Just merely advice & input. The private equity company is the final judge. It will be interesting to see what happens...
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5302 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
Tropicana used to be on its own, well atleast it was not part of pepsi back in the day, it was QTG, Quaker Tropicana Gatorate company. anyone remember?
Hi
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13600 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Shrinkflation my friend. manufacturers cannot just raise prices, so they shrink the product instead. As for this, you maybe right. There might not be a straight price increase, they just may eliminate the sale prices where people actually buy juice. As for Costco, we'll have to see if they continue to carry this product after PepsiCo hands it over to a private equity company.
This is one reason I like Costco since they're about the only retailer that can dictate things to the manufacturer.
As you said, raising pricing doesn't work since the consumer reads that, but shrinking a product not everyone will notice.
Costco however typically doesn't care about pricing (rather maintain a specific margin over having a set price) so products get more expensive rather than shrink.

I'm pretty sure I prefer an increase in price because it's easier to compare today vs yesterday rather than do a bunch of math to get an accurate price per unit.
Then again... most markets are putting a cost per unit on the shelf so either way it's kind of becoming moot.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4937 posts
7262 upvotes
Ontario
Probably fewer coupon opportunities to save on Tropicana products.
2021-Be more colourful and generous.😎
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17365 posts
4472 upvotes
Toronto
Note: Price of Tropicana orange juice @ CostCo is now $13.99, up from $12.89. That's $3.50 each for 4, but you get a full 1.89 Liters per carton for that price.
(& yes, it's 4 cartons in a box still, not clear plastic bottles)