• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2018 2:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1238 posts
707 upvotes

Performance driving school

Looking into tracking and/or auto x this summer and would like to take a course to learn the essentials.

Came across one school called Pinnacle Advanced Driving Academy, $395 for 2 hours of classroom time and 4-5 hours on the track at Toronto Motorsports Park.

Does anyone have any experience with these schools or can make a recommendation?

Is it cost effective to do classroom lessons only and then do a separate track day on your own to apply those skills?
18 replies
Sep 8, 2012
109 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
You really do want to have an instructor beside you in the car to start with or at least lead-follow with radios. The classroom lessons can only help so much, in fact that is probably the part that you're better doing on your own, the "Speed Secrets" books are pretty good.

I started with a day at Mosport with Apex Driver Training, that had an instructor in car for some laps and then several sessions without. Then I started doing the Advanced Driving Schools with the Trillium chapter of the BMW Car Club, they have instructors in car for all laps and I think is by far the most effective. I've also done a day with BMW (in their cars) which was lead-follow which was pretty good but varying skill levels can really affect how well it works.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16516 posts
18074 upvotes
Oakville
Highly recommend the Trillium BMW club's schools. You don't need a BMW to go but they fill up fast so don't delay. They're very well run with good instructors and a safe environment. They have 2 day classes and usually some 1 day classes.
https://www.trilliumbmwclub.ca/advanced-driving-schools
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1264 posts
1246 upvotes
Some dealerships offer track day similar to above posters where in class and in car instructors are provided... the dealership I went with preinspected my car a week before track day and also had staff on hand to tighten wheel nuts, check tire pressure, open car hoods, etc during breaks. It’s pricey but very informative and you will be taught how your car handles during different situations and the dynamics of track driving. IMO it was great to have professional drivers in my car providing proper driving position, the limits of my car (with the assurance and safety to push a little harder into/out of a corner or different braking situations)
Jan 11, 2008
635 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for the BMW Trillium Club. We used to have a few members and instructors at our driving school events.

Ideally you want a session that gives both classroom and in-car training.

You *will* put some additional wear and tear on your vehicle. Before the event, you need to make sure your car is fit for the event (e.g. brake fluid is fresh, cooling system up to snuff, enough brake pad thickness, tire tread, etc.). Some events will let you borrow or rent helmets, or you may need to get your own. If you need to get your own, the event organizers will tell you the specification needed.

And I know people don't want to think or hear it, but mistakes can happen at these types of events. Vehicles can break down or get damaged during these events.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1238 posts
707 upvotes
engineered wrote: Highly recommend the Trillium BMW club's schools. You don't need a BMW to go but they fill up fast so don't delay. They're very well run with good instructors and a safe environment. They have 2 day classes and usually some 1 day classes.
https://www.trilliumbmwclub.ca/advanced-driving-schools
Looking into this - I see that they have a first-timer novice course available that's a bit discounted which sounds great. Who should I see to sign off on the technical inspection form at a reasonable cost?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14947 posts
3890 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
My friend said Ian Law is really good for beginners as well. Maybe check them out? I want to sign up too. Wanna go together @hybrid09?
Spending too much money thanks to RFD
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16516 posts
18074 upvotes
Oakville
hybrid09 wrote: Looking into this - I see that they have a first-timer novice course available that's a bit discounted which sounds great. Who should I see to sign off on the technical inspection form at a reasonable cost?
Yep, I did the beginner class a while ago. Was good. Your local mechanic can do it for you. I think certain sport shops give free or discounted rates. Contact the club to find out.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1235 posts
610 upvotes
Looking to try the BMW school this year at CTMP. Unfortunately, you need to book well in advance, with no idea how the weather will be. Some say you learn more driving in the rain...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16516 posts
18074 upvotes
Oakville
n0thing wrote: Looking to try the BMW school this year at CTMP. Unfortunately, you need to book well in advance, with no idea how the weather will be. Some say you learn more driving in the rain...
My first time on the big track at Mosport/CTMP was on a wet track. Intimidating for sure but a great lesson.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1264 posts
1246 upvotes
n0thing wrote: Looking to try the BMW school this year at CTMP. Unfortunately, you need to book well in advance, with no idea how the weather will be. Some say you learn more driving in the rain...
And you can appreciate an exceptional summer tire tread!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1238 posts
707 upvotes
geokilla wrote: My friend said Ian Law is really good for beginners as well. Maybe check them out? I want to sign up too. Wanna go together @hybrid09?
I emailed them about if the April dates are still available. I'll let you know when I hear back.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1621 posts
251 upvotes
Newmarket
my first was the skid control school in oakville.......it was ok
then i did Ian Law winter driving which was great
and then spda advanced driving
all fun, and i learned a lot
definitely well worth it!

I might go this year to volunteer at spda clinic.....fun times
if you do take spda driving don't miss out on autocross in picton this may......large air field, and the course is about 2min

Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11521 posts
3236 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
+1 for Pinnacle Advanced Driving School - www.pinnacledriving.com. I have received lessons from them in the past & have friends who have also done the same & they are really good. I enjoyed it so much that a few years later I have actually applied to be an instructor & am currently in training for this.

They are actually running a Autocross course this spring however it filled up very quickly. My suggestion is come out to our regular autocross events - http://www.pitl.ca Its $40/each which includes lunch OR if you sign up for the season its $30/each event, this year its held at the powerade centre in Brampton.

As for the track days/courses their stuff is actually pretty good from what I have seen and heard they are better then a lot of other schools just on how they teach you and interact with you. I know one of the owners has worked for and been to other schools so he has taken the negative parts he has seen from each of them and improved on it.

Anyways if you are interested let me know, I know they currently have a discount going on or if you have more questions.

hybrid09 wrote: Looking into tracking and/or auto x this summer and would like to take a course to learn the essentials.

Came across one school called Pinnacle Advanced Driving Academy, $395 for 2 hours of classroom time and 4-5 hours on the track at Toronto Motorsports Park.

Does anyone have any experience with these schools or can make a recommendation?

Is it cost effective to do classroom lessons only and then do a separate track day on your own to apply those skills?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1235 posts
610 upvotes
How much is the BMW school for a weekend? For some reason I couldn't find it on the site.

Edit: Found it, $534/$588/$642 plus HST depending on when you sign up.
Apr 27, 2019
1 posts
Hey! I am one of the instructors at Pinnacle Advanced Driving Academy. If you have any questions about the courses feel free to shoot me a message.

We just did our first event yesterday at TMP and it was a great turn out!

Best regards,

Will