• Jun 26th, 2018 9:54 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 20, 2007
127 posts
101 upvotes
Thornhill, ON

Perimeter Drain issue / questions

As I've been digging around my house, I've noticed 2 hoses sticking up. After some online research I've concluded they are part of the perimeter drain put in by the builder (15yrs. ago).
As you can see in the pics, they are both full of mud, dirt, etc.

My questions are:
1. Do I only have 2 of the hoses, or are there more? What's typical in a "normal" subdivision 3000sq/ft. detached house?
2. Where do these hoses go? Do they tie into the city's sewer or something?
3. Does the dirt mean they aren't working? effectively?
4. Wat should/can I do to clean them? I have already used a gardening shovel to remove as much as I can get out, up to my arms' length
5. Do companies clean these? How much? Is it even worth it?
6. Anything else I should know? There's really not much info online (that I can find).

*I have not had any issues of water in my basement (finished), nor any musky/moldy smells. I'm just trying to be proactive here.
**The pics are before I cleaned them :)

Thanks all!! :)
Images
  • IMG_7373.JPG
  • IMG_7374.JPG
  • IMG_7375.JPG
  • IMG_7376.JPG
9 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12136 posts
7318 upvotes
Paris
Are they near downspouts? Lots of houses were built with downspouts going into city sewer but are required to be disconnected now. They could have been disconnected, cut low, and filled in.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19712 posts
23100 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: Are they near downspouts? Lots of houses were built with downspouts going into city sewer but are required to be disconnected now. They could have been disconnected, cut low, and filled in.
They should be capped though, not filled in as it could clog the drain.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12136 posts
7318 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: They should be capped though, not filled in as it could clog the drain.
I agree but would have no idea how to fill them in. Aren’t they weeping tile so would gather water along their length?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2033 posts
271 upvotes
Mississauga
that is the weeping tile that goes around the permeter of your house.

those 2 openings are probably where the downspout comes down the side of your and into there...

new rules say to disconnect downspouts and have the water land in your yard....

i would just "TRY" to put a cap on there and fill it back up.
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
10411 posts
3045 upvotes
Toronto
quisibo wrote: As I've been digging around my house, I've noticed 2 hoses sticking up. After some online research I've concluded they are part of the perimeter drain put in by the builder (15yrs. ago).

My questions are:
1. Do I only have 2 of the hoses, or are there more? What's typical in a "normal" subdivision 3000sq/ft. detached house?
4. Wat should/can I do to clean them? I have already used a gardening shovel to remove as much as I can get out, up to my arms' length
6. Anything else I should know? There's really not much info online (that I can find).

*I have not had any issues of water in my basement (finished), nor any musky/moldy smells. I'm just trying to be proactive here.

Yikes OP.

As mentioned already, your downspouts connect to them and it ties into your weeping tile system.

In Toronto, you're not allowed to connect downspouts into them anymore.

But you have to keep them clean and cap them. You don't want debris and animals clogging up your weeping tile system.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
[OP]
Aug 20, 2007
127 posts
101 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
The downspouts DON'T connect to them, and doubt they ever did. One of the pipes is located inside of a window well, the other is in the middle of the wall (middle of the house), while the down spouts are at either end of the wall.
My guess is that they tie into the perimeter drain, and perhaps are located where they are to a) evacuate water in the window well, and b) just in the middle of the house...?

My question is what should I do. Leave um? Do something? I guess since I don't have water in my basement, maybe I shouldn't really care that they're (seemingly) all plugged up,,,,

*I usually find a ton of really helpful youtube videos, but I can't seem to find much info on what builders do to make perimeter drains....oh well
Feb 25, 2018
567 posts
215 upvotes
quisibo wrote: The downspouts DON'T connect to them, and doubt they ever did. One of the pipes is located inside of a window well, the other is in the middle of the wall (middle of the house), while the down spouts are at either end of the wall.
My guess is that they tie into the perimeter drain, and perhaps are located where they are to a) evacuate water in the window well, and b) just in the middle of the house...?

My question is what should I do. Leave um? Do something? I guess since I don't have water in my basement, maybe I shouldn't really care that they're (seemingly) all plugged up,,,,

*I usually find a ton of really helpful youtube videos, but I can't seem to find much info on what builders do to make perimeter drains....oh well
I don't think anyone knows what there are. Why don't you start diggin and find out?
Dec 15, 2015
705 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto
quisibo wrote: As I've been digging around my house, I've noticed 2 hoses sticking up. After some online research I've concluded they are part of the perimeter drain put in by the builder (15yrs. ago).

My questions are:

Instead of asking a forum, why not just CALL a company that does weeping tile. Would have had an answer in 5 minutes.