Home & Garden

Periodic Condo AC inspection came back with 3k replacement quote.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2021 1:36 pm
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA

Periodic Condo AC inspection came back with 3k replacement quote.

Building is coming to be 15years old, low rise in Toronto.
As per condo mgmt recommendation, we accepted the $175 insulation replacement as they were doing it for all units.
The tech came and opened the unit and is now strongly recommending to replace the whole unit. Mold and rust being the reason. The verbal quote was around $2900-$3k + taxes. Have asked for a written quote with exact details. We did have the aqua-stat and actuator or some other parts changed 3years back when the unit was not heating properly.

Feedback and recommendation please ? Not exactly sure if good to replace full unit or some parts.
The company is used my condo mgmt for years - doing all heat/cold switchover and maintenance etc/

Pics attached.

**EDIT: NOT a full central ac. This is a fan coil unit within the condo unit. Depending on season, either hot /cold water flows through the coils. A fan then blows air over these coils, supplying cold/hot air . The main boiler and chiller is managed by condo building.
Images
  • IMG_20210809_131732.jpg
  • IMG_20210809_131739.jpg
  • IMG_20210809_131754.jpg
  • IMG_20210809_131801.jpg
Last edited by 2020rocks on Aug 9th, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37372 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg
wow that unit looks in a terrible shape, 3k is pretty cheap for central ac
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2433 posts
77 upvotes
Thornhill
My building is 30+ years old, and this past summer I replaced my whole AC / fan coil unit, plus new insulation, new registers, etc etc.

Cost was approx the same.

It's been night and day with the new unit. Quieter and way cooler.

I suppose you could say you could try to get 15 more years out of your unit (like me, tho I haven't lived here all that time) but it was a purchase that was well-worth it, imo.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA
mkerian wrote: My building is 30+ years old, and this past summer I replaced my whole AC / fan coil unit, plus new insulation, new registers, etc etc.

Cost was approx the same.

It's been night and day with the new unit. Quieter and way cooler.

I suppose you could say you could try to get 15 more years out of your unit (like me, tho I haven't lived here all that time) but it was a purchase that was well-worth it, imo.
yes trying to figure out if we really need a full replacement or not?
The pan for sure needs to go and the pipes maybe cleaned etc. Believe, there are products to clean whatever is on them or cover with a protection spray.
As seen in third picture actuator is newer replaced in 2018. The coils etc have no rust, its aluminum I suppose.

Everything works, the tech was not that pushy but kind of kept advertising that will give very good price for full replacement as they doing it for 2-3 other people in building.
A 7 page quote just came with before and after pics, 2 page of parts and wrongly mentioning that building was 40 yrOld!
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA
From the pics , does this warrant a full replacement or the pan + some other part ?

Any recommendation for hvac tech for a second opinion? Toronto address.

thanks in advance.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA
divx wrote: wow that unit looks in a terrible shape, 3k is pretty cheap for central ac
sorry about the confusion. As far a my understanding this is not a full central ac.
instead its a fan coil unit in the condo unit. Depending on season, either hot /cold water flows through the coils. A fan then blows air over these coils, supplying cold/hot air .
The thermostat in unit controls the air flow based on what temperature is set.

Main Component: Condo buildings have seasonal switchover when they keep switching between chillers and boilers. The hot or cold water in these pipes are supplied by a central system - managed by the condo in a separate room or rooftop..
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6396 posts
6817 upvotes
Toronto
Just flex-seal that thing, you'll get another 15 years out of it :)
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15003 posts
11526 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
If it ain't broken, why replace it. Just leave it.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2433 posts
77 upvotes
Thornhill
2020rocks wrote: yes trying to figure out if we really need a full replacement or not?
The pan for sure needs to go and the pipes maybe cleaned etc. Believe, there are products to clean whatever is on them or cover with a protection spray.
As seen in third picture actuator is newer replaced in 2018. The coils etc have no rust, its aluminum I suppose.

Everything works, the tech was not that pushy but kind of kept advertising that will give very good price for full replacement as they doing it for 2-3 other people in building.
A 7 page quote just came with before and after pics, 2 page of parts and wrongly mentioning that building was 40 yrOld!
If it's working, you don't need a full replacement, no?

All I can say is mine was 30+ years old, and it was still working but after a new unit was installed it greatly increased our quality of life.

But if you're happy now, just pay to replace what is needed. I find though, paying individually for these parts (actuator, pan, thermostat) are more expensive than doing the whole thing.

Pay and do what you're willing to.

edit - I looked again. That seems full of mold. No idea if replacing only parts is enough. But if you're not having an allergy problems, that's alright I suppose? I have absolutely no clue.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
That is a lot of rust, where is the water coming from?
Assuming its not that pipe in the middle with its own corrosion.
I would replace it if its the source, Evaporust clean the tray and recharge the system if necessary.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7203 posts
2236 upvotes
0 downvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: If it ain't broken, why replace it. Just leave it.
sure and breath in the airbourne mould spores and have severe respitory issues right? your health should be more important to saving a few bucks on maintenance
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA
mkerian wrote: If it's working, you don't need a full replacement, no?

All I can say is mine was 30+ years old, and it was still working but after a new unit was installed it greatly increased our quality of life.

But if you're happy now, just pay to replace what is needed. I find though, paying individually for these parts (actuator, pan, thermostat) are more expensive than doing the whole thing.

Pay and do what you're willing to.

edit - I looked again. That seems full of mold. No idea if replacing only parts is enough. But if you're not having an allergy problems, that's alright I suppose? I have absolutely no clue.
Quentin5 wrote: That is a lot of rust, where is the water coming from?
Assuming its not that pipe in the middle with its own corrosion.
I would replace it if its the source, Evaporust clean the tray and recharge the system if necessary.
GoodFellaz wrote: sure and breath in the airbourne mould spores and have severe respitory issues right? your health should be more important to saving a few bucks on maintenance
thanks for all the feedback.
We got back to the company and asked for an alternative.
They come back with $450 quote for cleanup of waterPan and covering it with another material such as epoxy or paint + change the insulation that's in mold.

From the looks of it, we haven't had any working issues with the unit. we already had new actuator replaced some time back.
Already had major stuff this year, so spending $3k+ on new unit would be a big expense.
Again, have no clue about these systems, Since it's not an full ac to begin with ; but coil, fan and water pipes combo (sorry , not to downplay any HVAC techs here) , a through maintenance cleanup should help, right ?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
2020rocks wrote: thanks for all the feedback.
We got back to the company and asked for an alternative.
They come back with $450 quote for cleanup of waterPan and covering it with another material such as epoxy or paint + change the insulation that's in mold.

From the looks of it, we haven't had any working issues with the unit. we already had new actuator replaced some time back.
Already had major stuff this year, so spending $3k+ on new unit would be a big expense.
Again, have no clue about these systems, Since it's not an full ac to begin with ; but coil, fan and water pipes combo (sorry , not to downplay any HVAC techs here) , a through maintenance cleanup should help, right ?
Glad they have a lower cost option but insist in finding the source of that water and check on it very often after repair to make sure the water source has been handled.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37372 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg
Quentin5 wrote: Glad they have a lower cost option but insist in finding the source of that water and check on it very often after repair to make sure the water source has been handled.
Could the water just came from condensation? I'm not sure how effective is cleaning up all that rust and mold will work.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8716 posts
2367 upvotes
divx wrote: Could the water just came from condensation? I'm not sure how effective is cleaning up all that rust and mold will work.
Usually its from condensation, hence the pan required on the bottom,
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA
divx wrote: Could the water just came from condensation? I'm not sure how effective is cleaning up all that rust and mold will work.
From what I read ,,the mold buildup is mostly due to humidity and the subpar insulation material such as paper etc..
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
West GTA
Any good HVAC maintenance contacts in GTA? Was thinking of DIY, getting new insulation, coil cleaner and something for pan..
but probably not worth the runaround.
Please recommend if anyone got done work in condo or know of anyone . thnx
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
2020rocks wrote: Any good HVAC maintenance contacts in GTA? Was thinking of DIY, getting new insulation, coil cleaner and something for pan..
but probably not worth the runaround.
Please recommend if anyone got done work in condo or know of anyone . thnx
Do not attempt it ourself, and while you own the fan coil components, the condo board may own some of the interconected components. Some condos also have a requirement to use the service they use so check with them first.