None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20075 posts
3951 upvotes
Toronto

Permaban reasons

I've noticed more and more lately that long-time users are being permanently banned, but when I look at their post histories I don't see anything objectionable that would warrant such an action. Can we get some sort of list showing what these guys were banned for?

I'm not asking just out of morbid curiosity. The bans don't have a discernible pattern from what I can see, and I'd like to steer clear of any behavior that would incur one. Other well-moderated forums (not the greatest example, but the Something Awful forums for one) have lists like these, and they serve as a good reminder of what is and isn't acceptable for the user base.

Could we have a list or thread like this? Or at least something like a mod comment on a user's last post whenever they get banned?
50 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16214 posts
31076 upvotes
Scarborough
We like to keep this information private unless there happens to be a greater need for it to be announced. Posting this would be more of a public shaming which we're not going to do. Warnings and infractions are something only staff and users themselves can see.

Looking through a banned users history likely wouldn't show in individual event which caused the ban. In most cases the post(s) that would've earned an infraction or ban were likely against the rules and thus deleted.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14726 posts
10861 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What's my demerit points at?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4131 upvotes
Ottawa
Not this again...

I think any user asking this exact same question should be perma-banned.
Dec 18, 2013
533 posts
101 upvotes
I never knew that!

0 points for me, so I am good. I like you tommy!
Sep 27, 2003
10771 posts
3070 upvotes
Newmarket
Cas77 wrote: Not this again...

I think any user that takes the time to post something without merit or value should also be perma-banned; unfortunately that's not against the rules though and would be subject to significant interpretation by the moderation team.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
Cas77 wrote: Not this again...

Are you trying to censor questions by users/ perhaps the poster wanted to be informed.
Your signature is somewhat contradictory to what you are stating.... "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." Maybe "Censorship is telling a man he can't ask a question because someone may have asked it before". :)
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1688 posts
1416 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote: Click on your Infractions tab to find out...
So, where is this "Infractions" tab you speak of???
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1688 posts
1416 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote: Click your username in the login box.
I did and the only tabs I see are "BST Feedback", "About Me", "Friends" and "Post Areas".
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16214 posts
31076 upvotes
Scarborough
sandav wrote: I did and the only tabs I see are "BST Feedback", "About Me", "Friends" and "Post Areas".
Guess the tab only appears when you have some history. I manually checked and you're clean.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Dec 18, 2013
533 posts
101 upvotes
Hey Tommy, can you check for me as well? plllleaaaseee! ;) <3
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1506 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
i have a lot of infractions but my total is 0.
Sep 27, 2003
10771 posts
3070 upvotes
Newmarket
mathiewannabe wrote: i have a lot of infractions but my total is 0.
Like demerit points, they do eventually expire.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26316 posts
5326 upvotes
Arvilish wrote: Hey Tommy, can you check for me as well? plllleaaaseee! ;) <3
Go to your profile and check the infraction tab between the friends and post areas tabs. It will tell you how many infractions you've had and whether they are expired. Once expired, the points no longer count. If there is no infraction tab for you, that means you don't have any infractions.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20882 posts
5455 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
If RFD publicised a list of ban reasons, it would just open up moderators to vast amounts of complaints and criticisms due to being bound and accountable to a publicised body of "case law". It's easier from a management perspective to make it hard for people to compare one moderation action to another.
- casual gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20075 posts
3951 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see how that's a factor. This is a privately-owned forum, not a democracy. I just wonder why people are disappearing and what the reasons are, but I can't find out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)